Moxey25 profile photo

Betty lloyd

Posted

Betty lloyd im catching on £1000 on jm wow thats a lot and auction still running 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

There was also a copy on Anglo-American auction which finished at 6pm. It was at £750 at 4pm. A bit coincidental them both having a copy up for auction...:ohmy:

Best Al

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

They'll all be flushed out now MADNESS 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I thought I was paying top money when I got mine for £350 a couple of years ago, but the bubble still seems to be expanding for certain records. It is a truly great piece of music of course, but £1010....crazy. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I'm glad I bought mine when a few turned up about 20 years ago. Cost me £80, it seemed like a lot of money back then.

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, britishbarry said:

I'm glad I bought mine when a few turned up about 20 years ago. Cost me £80, it seemed like a lot of money back then.

 

I remember seeing it on Mick Smiths' list for £50.00 back around that time, I went crazy! Up until then it was an impossible record, and I was so pleased to get it.

Yes, a truly great record, and is one that is a 'keeper', hence it's doing well on the value front.

Len :thumbsup:

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

The Anglo American one went for a similar price. I did see it around 25 or so years ago for about £50-£70 quid as I recall, but I was strictly a £20 maximum man in those days, which meant I missed out on buying a lot of stuff that I now pay VAST sums for...well sometimes.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest profile photo
Posted (edited)

An old mate of mine bought it in Wigan Casino record bar for £1.50!

Great double sider!

Edited by Guest

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I believe it was a Mecca spin originally albeit very brief.  Chris Plant who probably began to give it serious turntable action?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

and a grand is just daft, some desperate people out there, if they are Djs they'd do better showing a bit of imagination and saving a few quid.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

So you pay say 250 makes a grand jm takes 25%500 quid profit think i will keep it 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, moxey25 said:

So you pay say 250 makes a grand jm takes 25%500 quid profit think i will keep it 

...which sums up in a nutshell why it's sold for over a grand! Because even a nice wee £500 profit isn't tempting enough to wrench it from collections. Top tune!

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Two good tracks on this disc. I was looking to upgrade my copy but now dropped that idea.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I bought my copy in that brief spell about 20 years ago when they were available for £80-£150 depending on who's box they were in. Does anyone know how many were found. Must have been a few as they were widely available - an impossible 45 and then it just appeared. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 28/01/2017 at 09:37, souler said:

I bought my copy in that brief spell about 20 years ago when they were available for £80-£150 depending on who's box they were in. Does anyone know how many were found. Must have been a few as they were widely available - an impossible 45 and then it just appeared. 

must have been a few hundred as it plumetted from £250/300  to £50/80.... i got one cheap from andy dyson at that time.... around 1992 i think

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

only seen the one for sale at £700 since the 2 sold for over £1000....

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Someone else on FB selling one for 950

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I got one in a swap for Dean Courtney 'Love You Just Can't Walk Away' (which I found in a shop in Fulham for £3). This would have been late 80s.

Can anyone tell me whether that was a good deal then or a good deal in today's money?

(All my best records from that time got stolen so I don't have it any more).

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, son of stan said:

I got one in a swap for Dean Courtney 'Love You Just Can't Walk Away' (which I found in a shop in Fulham for £3). This would have been late 80s.

Can anyone tell me whether that was a good deal then or a good deal in today's money?

(All my best records from that time got stolen so I don't have it any more).

i think dean is about 300..betty about 600

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

I do apologise if this has been asked before and if it has been sorted before can you direct me please

Does anyone know about her at all as I can't find anything (even with me google thingy) apart from someone saying she may have been in the Long Island group, The Percells

Thought it was with a shout for such an iconic record (hopefully)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I do apologise if this has been asked before and if it has been sorted before can you direct me please

Does anyone know about her at all as I can't find anything (even with me google thingy) apart from someone saying she may have been in the Long Island group, The Percells

Thought it was with a shout for such an iconic record (hopefully)

Hope this post catches on 😎

Hat, coat , door just leaving 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

If the Betty LLoyd from the Percells is the same as the artist on BSC,

here's a picture of her - 

 

soul LLoyd

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

There is a promo photo of Betty on site somewhere.  I have an autographed scan of one but it was given in confidence so cannot post. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Yank said:

If the Betty LLoyd from the Percells is the same as the artist on BSC,

here's a picture of her - 

 

soul LLoyd

Info on The Percells, but doesn't help much with confirming Betty as a single artist after they split with Betty in the second link marrying a member of Ruby And The Romantics and settling in Cleveland it appears, so maybe she is not the same person

http://doo-wop.blogg.org/the-percells-a116515400

http://www.spectropop.com/percells/

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

64CD1D6A-2F55-408D-8461-788E06C101F4.jpeg.c191692ce4aa9f838e708fa4b1a22d48.jpeg
 

Betty Lloyd of the Percells on the right

CDD3445F-2469-4588-9FB7-DE6A7146E91F.jpeg.a3f61912d1c73b136f2c8a3ddf28d473.jpeg

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Reminds me of Oddfellows.

               Crazy prices,  on this and many others

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Chalky said:

There is a promo photo of Betty on site somewhere.  I have an autographed scan of one but it was given in confidence so cannot post. 

is this her signature? if so what's the record?

soul 352040347563

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Remember a quote on the phone from Roger Banks ('R'n'B' on here 😉 ) some 15 years ago or so over a BSC picture cover of Betty Lloyd.

He was kinda bluffing leading anyone to hope that it would be for her 'I'm catching on' but I understood that it was for another release of hers. 

Now I know about her second BSC single 'six days til Christmas' cute 1969 novelty single, could this release have had a picture sleeve ?

This I thought to be possible as Gino Washington had a picture sleeve for his 'it's winter' 45 on Atac (same pressing plant) from 1971 though...

Edited by Tlscapital

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

It didn’t reach the dizzy heights of £1000 the last time JM auctioned one(last week),£504 was the final price....

soul D2EF2782 A905 427B BB4A 99C0DA735142

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, Simon T said:

is this her signature? if so what's the record?

soul 352040347563

Its one of the Catching On test presses, few about. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MGM 1251 said:

It didn’t reach the dizzy heights of £1000 the last time JM auctioned one(last week),£504 was the final price....

soul D2EF2782 A905 427B BB4A 99C0DA735142

Maybe the bootleg has affected prices ?

Who did this ?

 

soul Betty Boot

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Chalky said:

Its one of the Catching On test presses, few about. 

I found this little sound clip of the alt version, reminds me a bit of Betty Wilson - I'm yours, for some reason

 

Betty Lloyd - I'm Catching On (Alt Take).mp3

Edited by Simon T

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 15/01/2020 at 08:19, Blackpoolsoul said:

Maybe the bootleg has affected prices ?

Who did this ?

 

soul Betty Boot

The prices were skewed out of reality by one daft auction result. You then get the sheep joining in for a while. It wasn’t too long ago it could be got for a reasonable price and maybe it is just heading back towards reality price wise?

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I just sold a white test press, as earlier post, but unmarked label (no signature), for only £500, (so so condition), which was not much more than I paid about 10 years ago.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 05/02/2017 at 18:19, son of stan said:

I got one in a swap for Dean Courtney 'Love You Just Can't Walk Away' (which I found in a shop in Fulham for £3). This would have been late 80s.

Can anyone tell me whether that was a good deal then or a good deal in today's money?

(All my best records from that time got stolen so I don't have it any more).

Betty is good but Dean is awesome. Not in the same league, imho. Seen Betty come up for sale frequently at £350 in the past, can't sat the same about DC.

Edited by Geeselad
Typo

Share this forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Betty Lavett, James Royal, Walter Jackson etc.
    Record Sales by Windlesoul on Sat 18 Jan 2020
    • 1 / 239
    • Windlesoul on 18 Jan 2020
  2. Betty Lloyd, Nella Dodds
    Record Wants by Keamus on Sun 29 Dec 2019
    • 2 / 305
    • Keamus on 03 Jan 2020
  3. O.T Sykes - Webs - Betty O'Brien - Betty Everett
    Record Sales by Alan T on Fri 20 Dec 2019
    • 1 / 525
    • Alan T on 20 Dec 2019
  4. Betty O'Brien - She'll Be Gone - Original E.P
    Record Sales by Alan T on Thu 12 Dec 2019
    • 1 / 321
    • Alan T on 12 Dec 2019

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.