Anglo American Auction Results: 26/01/2017

Quinvy

These are the winning bids from the Anglo American auction which ended 26/01/2017

A. Diane Lewis – Without Your Love (Wand 1191 Demo) VG++

By far the rarer of Diane’s two releases on the famous logo. This is Pat Lewis’ sister on a great piece of Detroit produced by Herman Griffin. If you don’t know it check the soundbite. Flipside is a version of the song ‘Giving Up’ released by the players on Columbia then withdrawn due to the name and released as the Twenty Grands.

Winning Bid: £310.00

B. William Branch – Smiling Eyes (Rainbow 203) M-

The original 1978 release of this neat happy-go-lucky mover has seemingly VANISHED – check out all the usual internet sources for verification of that statement. Yes the synth-ridden, nowhere-near-as-good 1986 update on Zip can be located, but not the superior original.

Winning Bid: £162.00

C. The Vibrations – ‘Cause You’re Mine (Epic 10418 Demo) M- 

Northern Soul that speaks for itself surely? The fact remains that whenever we set-sale this one the emails and calls to buy it are many and various, so here’s the opportunity to obtain it at your leisure.

Winning Bid: £235.00

D. Bonnie Graham – I Need You (Sure Shot 101 Demo) VG++

Investigations have found this top-notch R&B mover to be in nowheresville. And we are sure that many will not have heard it. Apparently really called Lavern Buckner, check out the soundbite.

Winning Bid: £200.00

E. Homer Banks – Sweetie Pie (Genie 101) M-

His first record on a tiny Memphis independent is somewhat removed from his raucous southern groovers on Minit, being a fabulous, mellow midtempo track. 30 years ago we had a handful of copies and have never seen one since. Certified as very rare and very good for sure.

Winning Bid: £751.00

F. Tobi Legend – Time Will Pass You By (Mala 591 Demo) M-

Obviously another 45 that brings on the requests when we set-sale a copy. Perhaps here a more democratic alternative way, but also a 1 second cue-burn on intro that you should hear. Nowt’ to write home about, but nonetheless it’s there.

Winning Bid: £810.00

G. Sir Guy – Let Home Cross Your Mind (D.P.G. 102) M-

Is it funk? Is it Modern? Well both probably and arguably this Virginia singers finest moment. On George Perkins’ label, the artist was born as Clarence Barron and had a career of half a dozen or so 45s- none better than this one.

Winning Bid: £502.00

H. Betty Lloyd – I’m Catching On (BSC 401) M-

Basically a one-box, one-time find, with precious few copies ever emerging outside of the clutch located 25 years ago. For a while that stopped spins but demand has surged for the 45 ever since.

Winning Bid: £1,025.00

I. Beverly Savage – How Can You Face The World (Tornado 1007) M-

A 1966 rarity that turned up first in the mid-seventies, was played a few times and then forgotten. Reason? Basically it has always been very scarce. Three years ago a copy went for over a thousand dollars on EBay, it was not only knackered but the last one offered for sale.

Winning Bid: £690.00

J. Chanters – What Are You Doin (SSP 1002) VG++

Like the previous record this one has been around for a long time without copies turning up. The group’s older recordings (the group was from the Queens area of New York) are cherished by doo-wop collectors and therefore any copies of this one may have been hoovered up before the Northern scene found it. HOWEVER, both sides are firmly in Sixties Soul territory and this 45 was their swansong prior to the group breaking up in ’66.

Winning Bid: £450.00

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Not really doing themselves any favours with their auction system, was high bidder on one of these then got no message on being outbid or any other kind of update, meant that the 45 sold for far less than would have gone up to so not in their interest really.

Edited by pomonkey
Social source share

In that case it's my bad for not knowing that!!  Seems an outdated way to do it, mostly as the price immediately jumps up to your full bid amount, so all anyone needs to do then is bid just over it right at the end, if so rather takes away any reason to do anything other than a last second bid to stop giving anyone that info and them having time to bid a fraction more. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like Tim's auction system as there are no extensions to end time. Just bid what you are willing (not going to say happy!) to pay and away you go. All auction systems have the advantages and disadvantages. The key point is to have a poke around in the rules and get up-to speed with how it works.

It's  nice to know the end prices, as with Tim's system, you don't get chance to see. 

Social source share

Massive thank you for posting the auction results....I often wonder, and occasionally mail them for what price certain things go for.....don't want to constantly be asking what did this sell for etc, you become a pain  in the backside!!            

I think he is missing a trick not having the extra minute or so added after the last second bids but it's his auction so entirely up to him. Would love the end prices listed regularly but understand if you don't...thank you again...Rob

Social source share

19 hours ago, pomonkey said:

In that case it's my bad for not knowing that!!  Seems an outdated way to do it, mostly as the price immediately jumps up to your full bid amount, so all anyone needs to do then is bid just over it right at the end, if so rather takes away any reason to do anything other than a last second bid to stop giving anyone that info and them having time to bid a fraction more. 

You need to look at the end prices and consider if you would be willing to pay more than that amount? I've not seen many results that I would have paid more for. I have won quite a few records on Mr Manship's auction in the past, but I would say that I paid far more for them than I intended, or indeed wanted to. I just got involved in a bidding war in extra time.

Social source share

The nuance that screws this up is that the price immediately jumps to the top of your bid amount even if 2nd place is a country mile behind, other auction sites don't do that as it actually then becomes a different economic model which from a buyer's perspective is totally unappealing, means takes every last penny you bid even if nobody else has any interest in the 45, no possibility of a "bargain", etc.  On the flipside it's the ideal model for a seller as it extracts maximum value from all bidders every time.  But as we're the buyers here it's a straight disincentive to make an initial high bid if may not be needed. Incidentally John's auctions go higher mostly as lets bidders see they've been outbid even at the "end" and then his twist to extend the auction a few more minutes each time dangles the bait psychologically and gets folks to go against their initial would-be maximum and go higher / get competitive - it's sometimes like watching the guy in the pub keep digging deeper in his pocket for more coins after already losing too much on the fruit machine. Difference between the 2 models is his needs at least two bidders to push a price up, here you can do that all by yourself. 

(Looking for their auction terms on the site to see/confirm the small print but not seeing any listed?.)

Social source share

I only once bidded on Tim's auction. At the time I scoured the site for info on how the bidding worked and had rang him up. I was bidding on a Cool Off acetate and it was sitting there with one opening bid. Once he explained that what I bid was what I would pay, I then asked if I bidded say £10 more than the opener, would that be OK? Was told, yes, that was fine.

So I placed my bid about 30 seconds from the end. Maybe I would have got it anyway, or maybe there was no time for other bidder to respond, either way I won it and it wasn't that expensive (£110 or £210, know it was a round 100 plus my tenner. Pretty sure it was only £110). I seem to remember I had to bid by email and include name and address, so I prepared all that and left it till the end to send.

This was a few years back now, so I don't know if there is any change in the function of the "Bid" button.

Cheers
Mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!