Bill Black's Combo Little Queenie sticker

Millo

FLAM.jpg

I have just bought this from a dealer in Australia and wondered if it was usual for London to add a promo sticker to an issue copy. The record was part of a lot bought from an Australian radio station the dealer told me when I asked him about it. The sticker looks very old, and the record looks unplayed, so I am guessing it was put on in 1964. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, 45cellar said:

Just a thought. The key here may be Australia as I have seen stickers with similar wording on a few Australian London stock copies.

https://www.45cat.com/label/london-au/16

Even though your record is a UK press  it may have found its way as a promotion item in Australia for some reason.

Thanks for that Roger. It is good to see a few others. It appears to confirm that the stickers were added by London.

Social source share

Yes, UK & US press 45s were often sent to Australia/New Zealand back in the day as promo samples.  They primarily went to the related labels there & then the Australian arm of London or whatever would make a decision on whether to release the record locally.  The foreign copies were then either distributed out as promos to radio, to local musicians signed to the label to cover, taken home by label employees etc or just destroyed.  In some fascinating cases, the label would not release the foreign version but would instead give the record to one of their locally signed acts to learn & record & then release that.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!