Guy Hennigans Stafford Biggies,1987

arnie j

hi all, been listening to guys tunes from 87, some are c\ups, what do you think ?

ruben bell-action speaks louder than words

ditalians-i gotta go

master 4-love has taken wing

embers-the first time

the sisters 3-keep off,no trespassing

imperial wonders-i love u

charmers-if youre looking for trouble

little cubie and the c,s-when i settle down

phronetics-michigan move

inverts-time will change

vito and salutations-id best be going

tina brit-top 20

harriet laverne and love notes-cant get along without u

geraldine jones and floor shakers-thats all i need

margie hendrix-one room paradise

bill horton-i wanna know

jimmy richards-i wont be responsible

ray agee-if youre gonna love me

gwen owens and val girls-love hangover

taylor brooks and emperors-gonna be loved

little ann-lean lanky daddy

fantastic 4-come on back

denita james and wildsiders-all the hurt and u

milestones-ling ting tong

jimmy peaches johnson-monday to friday

patty j and the contacts-honest i do....amazing tune !

mickie champion-somebody to love

daniel day-she needs two lovers

thelma lavern-im coming back monday

jessie herring and tru glows-thank you

and the man has probably got the best rare soul dj name in history

cheers

jason

Social source share

hi all, been listening to guys tunes from 87, some are c\ups, what do you think ?

ruben bell-action speaks louder than words

ditalians-i gotta go

master 4-love has taken wing

embers-the first time

the sisters 3-keep off,no trespassing

imperial wonders-i love u

charmers-if youre looking for trouble

little cubie and the c,s-when i settle down

phronetics-michigan move

inverts-time will change

vito and salutations-id best be going

tina brit-top 20

harriet laverne and love notes-cant get along without u

geraldine jones and floor shakers-thats all i need

margie hendrix-one room paradise

bill horton-i wanna know

jimmy richards-i wont be responsible

ray agee-if youre gonna love me

gwen owens and val girls-love hangover

taylor brooks and emperors-gonna be loved

little ann-lean lanky daddy

fantastic 4-come on back

milestones-ling ting tong

jimmy peaches johnson-monday to friday

patty j and the contacts-honest i do....amazing tune !

mickie champion-somebody to love

daniel day-she needs two lovers

thelma lavern-im coming back monday

jessie herring and tru glows-thank you

and the man has probably got the best rare soul dj name in history

cheers

jason

Never heard of half of these - any chance of a copy of the tape Jason?

Grant

Social source share

Ray Agee track was a c/u of Benny C Oliver "If your'e ever gonna leave me" on Objoco Jesse Herring and the Tru Glows was a c/u of Tommy Collins "Thank you " on TNT and Taylor Brooks and the Emperors was a c/u of "Gonna be loved" by the Barons on Etah.

Tina Britt is a c/u of "My own top twenty " by Bunny Shivel on Capitol.

Social source share

Ray Agee track was a c/u of Benny C Oliver "If your'e ever gonna leave me" on Objoco Jesse Herring and the Tru Glows was a c/u of Tommy Collins "Thank you " on TNT and Taylor Brooks and the Emperors was a c/u of "Gonna be loved" by the Barons on Etah.

Tina Britt is a c/u of "My own top twenty " by Bunny Shivel on Capitol.

In some cases the actual title may be different from that used on the cover up.I'm sure others can fill in the correct details.

Social source share

one room paradise is probably the same titled song by raylettes on tangerine records

i have seen a bootleg cd of this tape for sale at my local soul night , is it worth getting?

It has to be one of the most popular tapes going about.

thelma lavern-im coming back monday - Lonnette - Blue Jeans M-S

I've still got mine in cupboard :yes: I've put it on to two cds as well :thumbsup:

Social source share

They say,or sumit` on columbia,suzan rewis :thumbsup:

Social source share

hi all,

wat was this, think he sung........

you were in love with me,

but i mistreated u,

i was blind and couldnt see

how much i needed u,

i cant stand this pain any longer

Not Johnny Gilliam on Modern is it, would play it so see but singles are not in any order at moment, cmon Tony S where are, can hear it now but can't get to the chorus line!!!

Social source share

Not Johnny Gilliam on Modern is it, would play it so see but singles are not in any order at moment, cmon Tony S where are, can hear it now but can't get to the chorus line!!!
thats the one mate,superb tune, thought that was the cover up of it though ! is that the real one and if so how rare,price etc ?

thanks

jason

Social source share

thats the one mate,superb tune, thought that was the cover up of it though ! is that the real one and if so how rare,price etc ?

thanks

jason

No its Johnny Gilliam - Take Me Back (Modern), only ever seen demos, but assume issues exist, I am way behind on prices these days, I paid about £60 a year ago, but I also got about that when sold it about 12 years ago so not sure.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

No its Johnny Gilliam - Take Me Back (Modern), only ever seen demos, but assume issues exist, I am way behind on prices these days, I paid about £60 a year ago, but I also got about that when sold it about 12 years ago so not sure.

You're about right with £60 - £75 and likewise I've only seen demos. Superb record, which led to me (and Mark Taylor) finding both his Cancer (Room Full of Tears) and Bomar (Find Yourself Another) releases in Brighton early/mid '80s (also both excellent records)

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

You're about right with £60 - £75 and likewise I've only seen demos. Superb record, which led to me (and Mark Taylor) finding both his Cancer (Room Full of Tears) and Bomar (Find Yourself Another) releases in Brighton early/mid '80s (also both excellent records)
can u give me more details about these findings in brighton mate, i love this kind of stuff

cheers

jason

Social source share

Guest uroffal

can u give me more details about these findings in brighton mate, i love this kind of stuff

cheers

jason

Used to go to Brighton fairly regularly and visit a number of record shops (was about £10 return in those days I think). Rarely found anything marvelous, except on this one occasion in the same shop, in the same box - two Johhny Gilliam records, one on Cancer and one on Bo-Mar - knowing that Guy had played the Modern recording c/u and knowing what a great vocal that had we had the guy play these two for us and snapped them both up.

Can't actually remember what happened to them though - I think Mark had the Cancer one, which was later played at Stafford covered as something (can't remember what). Pretty sure I swapped the Bo-Mar one with Ion, but for the life of me can't tell you what for! Was only one other 'known' copy around of it at the time from what I remember.

Social source share

Johnny Gilliam - Baby Take me back - Modern is one of my faves!! i have a demo, the issue is red modern label i thinks..Phil Shields the resident dj at the Belfast Soul Club played it out at the early days of the BSC which is were i first heard it. His was a red issue. Paid abuot £30 for my demo, fooking amazing record the vocals are brilliant.. :D

Social source share

Guest barnsey

It has to be one of the most popular tapes going about.

thelma lavern-im coming back monday - Lonnette - Blue Jeans M-S

I've still got mine in cupboard :yes: I've put it on to two cds as well :thumbsup:

lonnette.pure class under played oldie now .i ask phill to play this every time at steam :D
Social source share

Did you get a copy of Ditalians "I Gotta Go" on Trip for £10? Congratulations if so! :lol: That's one HELL of a hard-to-find 45. The copies on Saxony are reissues.

Of course it was just too much for me to reach 2 feet to pick up a guide/literature or even read the posts properly to ensure that didn't happen - fool that I am :lol: - - thanks Seb.

Best look for a real one now. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Used to go to Brighton fairly regularly and visit a number of record shops (was about £10 return in those days I think). Rarely found anything marvelous, except on this one occasion in the same shop, in the same box - two Johhny Gilliam records, one on Cancer and one on Bo-Mar - knowing that Guy had played the Modern recording c/u and knowing what a great vocal that had we had the guy play these two for us and snapped them both up.

Can't actually remember what happened to them though - I think Mark had the Cancer one, which was later played at Stafford covered as something (can't remember what). Pretty sure I swapped the Bo-Mar one with Ion, but for the life of me can't tell you what for! Was only one other 'known' copy around of it at the time from what I remember.

Unbelievably Gary, I ended up with both of the Johnny Gilliam records and stupidly swapped the Bo Mar one for the 'Baby take me back' :yes: ( Both great records but the Bo Mar 7" must be worth a few quid now)

Also swapped the 'Roomful of tears' for Jimmy Beaumont 'You've got too much going for you'

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Seen the Bo Mar one on ebay once or twice and I think went for around £150, but is probably worth more as it still seems pretty rare. Someone posted a soundfile of this on a thread the other day and, having not heard it for probably 20 years, made me realise what a great record it is.

Actually thought you might have still have the Room Full of Tears, which is around £150 these days too! Oh how I wish I'd kept all those records :yes:

See you soon I hope

Social source share

• 4 years later...

If I remember correctly the The Phrenetics Band - "The Michigan Move" was an unknown and uncredited Detroit acetate that Guy had - it was issued on the filp of the boot of Soul Bros Inc - Pyramid

Phrenetics Band was from a studio tape. It had something to do with Washpan. There was something like 20 takes on it. There is previous discussions on this. On one take where they couldn't get the intro right someone says "this is chicken sh*te" or something to that effect on the tape.

Social source share

Benny C Oliver is called Make It Now. Played it out other week and had quite a few peering over the decks. The Barons is called I Got A Feeling.

Social source share

Phrenetics Band was from a studio tape. It had something to do with Washpan. There was something like 20 takes on it. There is previous discussions on this. On one take where they couldn't get the intro right someone says "this is chicken sh*te" or something to that effect on the tape.

hahasmile.gif

Social source share

remember guy playing the wheatsheaf in walsall during 80's, ( first time i ever heard JACKIE DAY - NAUGHT BOY ) and the black horse on thompson avenue when mart bradley ran it in early y2k. organised a couple of gigs myself and put guy on, still has some remarkable tunes and dont forget those instrumentals....such as BACKSTREET - DETROIT RYTHMN SECTION and SWEETER THAN THE DAY BEFORE. distinctly remember having a good gasp at this one-off acetate. some of the piccys taken in the last decade made me chuckle as i thought he looked a bit like robin hood ( if you dressed him up in that manner of speaking!!:yes: )...bit of a soul "bandit" then eh?:hatsoff2: do we all think perhaps, that mr. hennigan could be called THE ALL-TIME MASTER OF COVER-UPS?g.gif

Social source share

I was lucky enough to be custodian of Guy's collection when he went to the States in the early 80s. He was based in Derby at the time and didn't want to leave them unattended in the flat. So I took them to my parent's place which was like Fort Knox.

My reward was that I could tape them all on the agreement I would not make further copies. The result 16 C90s which I'v still got in a pastic brief case with track listings .........which I made using the cover up titles where applicable not the originals ......doh!!!!!!!!!

Must get round to converting them to CD - although a lot of the titles are now household names.

And no I won't be copying them ..........the agreement still stands.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Haven't read through the whole thread properly yet so I'm well behind on it and more than likely duplicating details posted previously.

From your tape listing the following are the proper group names and song titles, I've tagged on (what I think from memory are) the labels.

embers-the first time (JCP)

charmers-if youre looking for trouble (red label?)

vito and salutations-id best be going (Sandbag same as Epitome Of Sound))

margie hendrix-one room paradise (Mercury?)

bill horton-i wanna know (Kayden?)

inverts-time will change (Broadway)

later made popular again by Big Bad Bob Hinsley in mid 90s

jimmy richards-i wont be responsible (A&M)

And if you ever wanted a record to hold up as a prime example of just how different the sound, style and tempo of music being played by Guy during this period was (compared to say what had been played throughout the seventies and early eighties) look no further than this record....

Never in a million years would you realistically describe it as traditional northern soul, the tempo is far too slow, it's barely above walking pace, I mean come on it's not the sort of sound to create a stampede onto the dance floor is it?

But what I imagine elevated this song onto Guy's playlist at the time was the superb lived in vocals and the dramatic, brooding sparse arrangement.

Quite simply it's just a superb piece of sixties soul music.

As soon as I could I scurried around and hunted down a copy shortly after hearing Guy play it.

It takes an awful lot of confidence and a fair bit o' testicles for a DJ to play a tune like this at an all-nighter.

Nice one Guy. I tip my hat to you. That's why so many people hold him high up in their esteem.

Jimmy Richards - I Won't Be Responsible - A And M

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!