The Orwell - Friday 27th Oct

Sorry for the late reply...................

Cracking night on Friday............

Loads in, great people, great music..............

Will post a 'proper' review when i get me head together after a hectic weekend sleep3.gif

Anyone who went please feel free to add your thoughts to the thread and i'll post me review later!

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sorry for the late reply...................

Cracking night on Friday............

Loads in, great people, great music..............

Will post a 'proper' review when i get me head together after a hectic weekend :thumbsup:

Anyone who went please feel free to add your thoughts to the thread and i'll post me review later!

Cheers

Steve

just one word

AWESOME

full report tomorrow and loads of pics too

FANTASTIC night guys

AWESOME

thumbsup.gif:thumbsup::thumbup::ohmy:

Hope Sean doesn't mind me copying this from the forthcoming events thread?

Thanks Sean :D

Cheers

Steve

Guest Gavin Page

Have to say had a great night. All be it I was very drunk !

Funniest bit was while in the Gent's having a pee. Two blokes in a northern accent said "This bloke is fookin shite ! I bet he's from down south" laugh.gif

Talking about me of course :ohmy:

Anyway thanks all for a great night !

Have to say had a great night. All be it I was very drunk !

Funniest bit was while in the Gent's having a pee. Two blokes in a northern accent said "This bloke is fookin shite ! I bet he's from down south" :ohmy:

Talking about me of course :yes:

Anyway thanks all for a great night !

Getaway, you of all people. Next challenge, name your playlisy from the night whistling.gif

The Orwell - Friday 27th October 2006

A 'Missing Yarmouth' Special

This was the fourth annual 'Missing Yarmouth' Special that we had had at The Orwell, filling the gap left, when the Yarmouth boys went to an annual do in April, rather than twice a year in April & October!

Conspicuous by his absence we thought it was high time we asked the other Yarmouth co-promoter Gavin Page to join us at the Orwell so it was that Gavin made his return to The Orwell after too many years to mention!

If you don't count any of the Orwell promoters, we had THREE key Yarmouth DJ's on the night; Mike Charlton, Soul Sam & Gavin Page. This of course took care of the bulk of the night with Steve Plumb playing an hour of tunes before they came on and Flanny & Steve Connor finishing the night off after they'd been on. Barry Maleady (and Bob Cosby) took a well earned rest!

Plumby played a selection of stuff from the back of the box and some new acquisitions as the crowd arrived getting themselves ready for the night. By the time Plumby had finished the dancers were up and running in time for Mike Charlton who played some fantastic tuneage showing what quality taste the man has!

Soul Sam decided to give it to them from both barrels, playing all his current monsters and a fair selection of Yarmouth classics. The freshly talced dance floor was getting a serious seeing to!

Mr Page followed on and lived up to his name as being 'predictably unpredictable'. One thing you can rest assured with Gavin is that you are going to get something different, and that's exactly what we got tonight. Names like Juju Orchestra, Ballistic Brothers & the Jazz Invaders are not normally Orwell fayre but tonight it was, and the dance floor loved it! From Nu-Jazz straight into Cajun Heart, and you realise the roots of a record, a perfect blend! Add to that some classic two-step from the likes of Milton Wright and Sisters Love and a wonderful finisher from Clausel and you have a great spot from the main guest.

Flanny & Steve Connor followed for the last hour and as usual kept the crowd happy. Lil Major Williams, The Delettes, Al James (Give it Up Turn it Loose), Constellations, Innersection, Harold Melvin, David Ruffin, Satin the requests were pouring in. 2.15 came round so quickly and Mr Connor put on the gut-wrenchingly soulful Jimmy Delphs to end a superb, well-attended night!

Many thanks to all the people who travelled to be there, there really are too many to single out but you know who you are.

Roll on the two roomer on November 24th when Mark Bicknell & Neil Jones return to play Big Daddy's Soul Shack tunes in the Northern room whilst the regular Orwell tunes are in t'other room! This is a big night for The Orwell cos if the two room format is successful we could see a lot more of them in 2007 (in association with Solar Radio's Big Daddy's Soul Shack) with the aim to make the Orwell's Northern and Crossover nights simply the best in the country.

Playlists - Tuneage heard on the 27th October

Steve Plumb (full list in no particular order)

Louis Curry - Just plain nice

L V Johnson - Recipe

Sunlovers - My poor heart

Brief Encounter - What about love

Delegates of Soul - I'll come running back

Brenda Lee Eager - When I'm with you

Arthur Prysock - All I need is you tonight

Something New - You babe

Four Tracks - Charade

G.T's - Keep the love you have

Future 2000 - Good things

Trammps - Stop and think

Natural High - Trust in me

Sheba Potts Wright - Just can't walk away (forthcoming Selecta 45)

Heart Attack - Right now

David Ruffin - Can't get over losing you

Eddie Kendricks - If I can't love you

Mike Charlton (a few choice snippets)

Ray & Dave - Wrong wrong wrong

Ronnie Shannon - Sweet games of love

Mel & Tim - Forever and a day

Stevens & Foster - I want to be loved

Gene Middleton - No one to love me

Pulse - Sunshine

Soul Sam (some of the big guns)

Noah & The Arks c/u

Belita Woods c/u

Mixed feelings

Elipses

Tolbert

Natural Impulse

Love stormy weather

Norris Vines

Gavin Page (a few choice cuts)

Clausel - Let me love you

Cajun Hart - Got to find a way

Leroy Hutson - Lucky fellow

Willie Hutch - Easy does it

Jazz Invaders - Love and Happiness

JuJu Orchestra - A Little Latin Rhythm

Balistic Brothers - Blacken

Sisters Love Give Me Your Love

Milton Wright Keep It Up

Flanny/Steve Connor (send them home happy)

Martha Reeves - Love guess who

Constellations - I didn't know how to

Al James - Give it Up Turn it Loose

Delettes - What's the use

Chuck Cockerham

David Ruffin - Walk away from love

Harold Melvin & Blue Notes - The love I lost!

C Coulter - I Can't Fight the Feelin'

Satin - Your Loves Got Me

Innersection - I'm in Debt to you

PS Piccies of the night (courtesy of Sean O'Connor) can be viewed here

https://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...endID=120669749

I think the first ones are from Spondon and the rest are The Orwell thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb

The Orwell - Friday 27th October 2006

A 'Missing Yarmouth' Special

This was the fourth annual 'Missing Yarmouth' Special that we had had at The Orwell, filling the gap left, when the Yarmouth boys went to an annual do in April, rather than twice a year in April & October!

Conspicuous by his absence we thought it was high time we asked the other Yarmouth co-promoter Gavin Page to join us at the Orwell so it was that Gavin made his return to The Orwell after too many years to mention!

If you don't count any of the Orwell promoters, we had THREE key Yarmouth DJ's on the night; Mike Charlton, Soul Sam & Gavin Page. This of course took care of the bulk of the night with Steve Plumb playing an hour of tunes before they came on and Flanny & Steve Connor finishing the night off after they'd been on. Barry Maleady (and Bob Cosby) took a well earned rest!

Plumby played a selection of stuff from the back of the box and some new acquisitions as the crowd arrived getting themselves ready for the night. By the time Plumby had finished the dancers were up and running in time for Mike Charlton who played some fantastic tuneage showing what quality taste the man has!

Soul Sam decided to give it to them from both barrels, playing all his current monsters and a fair selection of Yarmouth classics. The freshly talced dance floor was getting a serious seeing to!

Mr Page followed on and lived up to his name as being 'predictably unpredictable'. One thing you can rest assured with Gavin is that you are going to get something different, and that's exactly what we got tonight. Names like Juju Orchestra, Ballistic Brothers & the Jazz Invaders are not normally Orwell fayre but tonight it was, and the dance floor loved it! From Nu-Jazz straight into Cajun Heart, and you realise the roots of a record, a perfect blend! Add to that some classic two-step from the likes of Milton Wright and Sisters Love and a wonderful finisher from Clausel and you have a great spot from the main guest.

Flanny & Steve Connor followed for the last hour and as usual kept the crowd happy. Lil Major Williams, The Delettes, Al James (Give it Up Turn it Loose), Constellations, Innersection, Harold Melvin, David Ruffin, Satin the requests were pouring in. 2.15 came round so quickly and Mr Connor put on the gut-wrenchingly soulful Jimmy Delphs to end a superb, well-attended night!

Many thanks to all the people who travelled to be there, there really are too many to single out but you know who you are.

Roll on the two roomer on November 24th when Mark Bicknell & Neil Jones return to play Big Daddy's Soul Shack tunes in the Northern room whilst the regular Orwell tunes are in t'other room! This is a big night for The Orwell cos if the two room format is successful we could see a lot more of them in 2007 (in association with Solar Radio's Big Daddy's Soul Shack) with the aim to make the Orwell's Northern and Crossover nights simply the best in the country.

Playlists - Tuneage heard on the 27th October

Steve Plumb (full list in no particular order)

Louis Curry - Just plain nice

L V Johnson - Recipe

Sunlovers - My poor heart

Brief Encounter - What about love

Delegates of Soul - I'll come running back

Brenda Lee Eager - When I'm with you

Arthur Prysock - All I need is you tonight

Something New - You babe

Four Tracks - Charade

G.T's - Keep the love you have

Future 2000 - Good things

Trammps - Stop and think

Natural High - Trust in me

Sheba Potts Wright - Just can't walk away (forthcoming Selecta 45)

Heart Attack - Right now

David Ruffin - Can't get over losing you

Eddie Kendricks - If I can't love you

Mike Charlton (a few choice snippets)

Ray & Dave - Wrong wrong wrong

Ronnie Shannon - Sweet games of love

Mel & Tim - Forever and a day

Stevens & Foster - I want to be loved

Gene Middleton - No one to love me

Pulse - Sunshine

Soul Sam (some of the big guns)

Noah & The Arks c/u

Belita Woods c/u

Mixed feelings

Elipses

Tolbert

Natural Impulse

Love stormy weather

Norris Vines

Gavin Page (a few choice cuts)

Clausel - Let me love you

Cajun Hart - Got to find a way

Leroy Hutson - Lucky fellow

Willie Hutch - Easy does it

Jazz Invaders - Love and Happiness

JuJu Orchestra - A Little Latin Rhythm

Balistic Brothers - Blacken

Sisters Love Give Me Your Love

Milton Wright Keep It Up

Flanny/Steve Connor (send them home happy)

Martha Reeves - Love guess who

Constellations - I didn't know how to

Al James - Give it Up Turn it Loose

Delettes - What's the use

Chuck Cockerham

David Ruffin - Walk away from love

Harold Melvin & Blue Notes - The love I lost!

C Coulter - I Can't Fight the Feelin'

Satin - Your Loves Got Me

Innersection - I'm in Debt to you

PS Piccies of the night (courtesy of Sean O'Connor) can be viewed here

https://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...endID=120669749

I think the first ones are from Spondon and the rest are The Orwell :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Steve, listen mate The Orwell is a joy to be involved in and i'm going to make it my mission to spread the word via the show, looking forward to November and December with The Soul Shack Room upstairs and let's hope we can all enjoy bigger and better things there in 2007, you can count on me in doing my bit to help simply some top guys with a top venue...bring it on!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Guest Gavin Page

You looked beautiful Mr Page, sorry i missed you mate but i had to work, pays the bills and all that, i shall be there next month......can't wait.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

:rolleyes: You say the nicest things x x x

Steve, listen mate The Orwell is a joy to be involved in and i'm going to make it my mission to spread the word via the show, looking forward to November and December with The Soul Shack Room upstairs and let's hope we can all enjoy bigger and better things there in 2007, you can count on me in doing my bit to help simply some top guys with a top venue...bring it on!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Nice one mate :rolleyes:

Really looking forward to November already :lol:

.............if y'all like what Mark plays on a Sunday, you'll love it when it's taken to the dance floor :P

Cheers

Steve

That's what happens when you indulge in pints of Whisky & Lemonade my dear :lol:

Jolly good evening I'd say :P

Hi Ali

Good to see you and Jonners on Friday............................in fact the guy who runs the Orwell said bar takings went thru the roof on Friday (honest)...............he said the guy who was drinking whisky & lemonade and the lovely couple who 'held court' at the bar all night, contributed to most of it :lol::lol::)

See you at The Tower :lol:

Cheers

Steve

As always, brilliant! Probably even better than that.

thanks again lads,

Bri.

Woah Bri - that's brill mate - many thanks :lol:

I think we should use this quote on our flyers :rolleyes:

Glad you enjoyed it

Cheers

Steve