Video: SONS OF ROBIN STONE - GOT TO GET YOU BACK (RARE CLIP 1974)

Venus

Soul Source music video feature announcement

Name: SONS OF ROBIN STONE - GOT TO GET YOU BACK (RARE CLIP 1974)
Category: Artists Singles
Date Added: 2017-02-06
Submitter: /profile/36158-venus/>Venus

Video Description:

watch now...

/videos/view-1349-sons-of-robin-stone-got-to-get-you-back-rare-clip-1974/>SONS OF ROBIN STONE - GOT TO GET YOU BACK (RARE CLIP 1974)

Soul Source Video Feature 2016

• Helpful 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Carl Dixon said:

And notice the outro lead is singing the chorus rather than the wailing solo etc. Great tune by Bobby Eli and Vinnie Vinnie Barrett.

And I love this by them too:

I'm ready to give up my love

They guy on the right is singing or miming) the outro solo .   he stops the synch dancing and looks pretty glad  too.

Edited by maslar
typo
Social source share

Hiya, one of my favourite 7ts tunes.  Yes Carl, top quality miming and where's the rest of the group ? Think there's a good 50 per cent missing.  I've been after one of those suits for ages.  Ps. Yep,  give up my love, decent track.  Thanks for posting Venus,  cheers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Really... never saw that. Well spotted. Will take another look.

Right! Blimey. I would have said it was the same voice on lead and the ending! Further investigation me thinks...

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Love this - some brilliant longer edits around as well i.e. Tom Moulton Philly ReGrooved 3.

The only picture I had seen of them was this one which shows four black guys as well, so I assumed they were like Tower of Power i.e. a mainly white band with a black singer, but the clip suggests not - anyone know who the four black guys in the photo were?

t126885023-b480469463_s400.jpg

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya, one of my favourite 7ts tunes.  Yes Carl, top quality miming and where's the rest of the group ? Think there's a good 50 per cent missing.  

Hadn't seen this when I posted above, so maybe they were more like TOP. Was the white guy just miming then but one of the black guys actually sang it?

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I am asking Bobby! I think I need to clarify ha ha. And I mentioned  when I met him in 2003, about always fluffing my steps up on the chorus of GTGYB and couldn't figure out why. He told me it was 5/4 time so it meant everybody went out of sync! So I guess they sing it 3 times so in effect 15/12 lol! 

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Hadn't seen this when I posted above, so maybe they were more like TOP. Was the white guy just miming then but one of the black guys actually sang it?

No they performed live and the black guys were the backing group (as in bass, etc).   I'm preetty sure they were a very decent vocal group who could deliver the goods.

Also a nice Detroit connection in a roundabout in that it was Lebaron Taylor (Solid Hitbound/Revilot) who was working at Atlantic in the early 70s who purchased the masters from Bobby Eli and released it on the Atco label. 

Social source share

Hiya, not sure who actually sang lead vocals, it may have been the guy on left ( who got fed up) in clip and the other varying members doing backing vocals.  Just a thought, maybe it was the suits that caused the rest to drop out of filming.  Cheers

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Carl Dixon said:

I am asking Bobby! I think I need to clarify ha ha. And I mentioned  when I met him in 2003, about always fluffing my steps up on the chorus of GTGYB and couldn't figure out why. He told me it was 5/4 time so it meant everybody went out of sync! So I guess they sing it 3 times so in effect 15/12 lol! 

That's interesting, it is a funny time signature - my guess would have been 9/8 if there is such a thing - can't get my head round it as 5/4

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!