Really ?

Chris L

Tracked these and others last night on ebay -  concerned that sound bites were not from actual 45's - they seemed too good for VG- / G- and G gradings given and maybe explains high final bids somebody is either going to be pleasantly surprised (happy) or somewhat miffed if 45's turn out to be representative of usual condition of these grades.

Buyer beware it can & does end in tears

Steve

Social source share

1 hour ago, vadnochka said:

Ringleaders - gone mad again - noticed this the other week when I had 1 in my box and recent ebay confirms this.

Not rare BUT and its a big but - it is without doubt one of the greatest sounds to ever grace our scene (Imagine discovering it now!!!)

Imagine discovering any of the big sounds now ? I remember hearing & buying at Cheapos Cheapos on the same day '74/75 Alice Clark you hit me & Cindy Scott i love you baby & not long after Christine Cooper Heartaches away. Talk about blew my socks off. Oh just to hear something new of that quality today :) mind you being able to dance to those three with these old legs of mine now is a different story

Oh all boots of course but what did i know then ?????

Social source share

Johnny McCall - I need you - on Al-teen went for a smidge under $900 yesterday, and that was for a VG copy! 

I know we keep having the discussion about how crazy prices are, but every day seem to bring yet another high in bidding craziness. And I'd love to know who these people are - the ones paying well over the odds for the rash of VG and even G condition 45s that are increasingly for sale. The finger's been pointed at retirees with cash to burn; people coming back onto the scene after having cleared their mortgages or whatever, but I can't believe it's only the older generation of soulies who've been driving up prices these last few years and who continue to do so with no sense of financial care.

Is it also newbies into the scene - whether in the UK or elsewhere in the world? Collectors from other scenes looking to cross over and make an impact, perhaps? Just who are these crazy people with the deep pockets??? 

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Johnny McCall - I need you - on Al-teen went for a smidge under $900 yesterday, and that was for a VG copy! I know we keep having the discussion about how crazy prices are, but every day seem to bring yet another high in bidding craziness. And I'd love to know who these people are - the ones paying well over the odds for the rash of VG and even G condition 45s that are increasingly for sale. The finger's been pointed at retirees with cash to burn; people coming back onto the scene after having cleared their mortgages or whatever, but I can't believe it's only the older generation of soulies who've been driving up prices these last few years and who continue to do so with no sense of financial care.Is it also newbies into the scene - whether in the UK or elsewhere in the world? Collectors from other scenes looking to cross over and make an impact, perhaps? Just who are these crazy people with the deep pockets??? 

From what I can gather it is older who've seen the films plus younger newbies who've never known a Jack Montgomery for $100.00, they buy about 5 or 6 expensive records and put them amongst their £3.00 cheapies. In life no matter what you buy, it will one day have to be sold and if you miss the market you'll lose money.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Chris L said:

absolutely ridiculous  I just got a precisions if this is love £11  not mint but vg

Social source share

Agree with a lot of what's been said here. It should however be noted that Funkyou (just as Carolina Soul) grades far stricter than the average UK or Euro dealer, ie. a VG- from them can be expected to be what most of the traditional big UK sellers would call VG+ or even EX. Not saying all are like that, but quite a few definitely are.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ladymidnight said:

Agree with a lot of what's been said here. It should however be noted that Funkyou (just as Carolina Soul) grades far stricter than the average UK or Euro dealer, ie. a VG- from them can be expected to be what most of the traditional big UK sellers would call VG+ or even EX. Not saying all are like that, but quite a few definitely are.

There were sound files and some of them sounded awful

Social source share

Sure, but I was talking generally - many Funkyou auction records graded at VG- seem to play decent judging by the soundclips. In fact that kind of grade appears to be pretty much what JM or TB and many others (perhaps influenced by the standards set by established dealers as those mentioned?) might call VG+ = rough-looking but playable. As long as the seller is clear on what he is selling it's all fine, I suppose.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest themroc

Just a quick question. What's the buyers position when it comes to a shagged record where all the high end is distorted but the record is free from scuffs and scratches? 

Social source share

32 minutes ago, themroc said:

Just a quick question. What's the buyers position when it comes to a shagged record where all the high end is distorted but the record is free from scuffs and scratches? 

Well I just had a Bobby Hebb - you want to change me - Philips white demo, looked mint but played very badly due to the pressing quality so I asked 10 or 15 quid for it instead of 50/60

Social source share

I have to say a couple of years ago I bought an Exus Trek from Pete here and condition-wise it`s a tad better than the one in Chris`s link and it cost me, I think £120. And it`s also a west coast vinyl press, looks aren`t everything as it plays perfect!

Some of these prices and conditions are a joke. £!000 for Sassy demo of FB on here last week and unless i`m missing something, like a few decades, that`s double the price it should be.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

11 hours ago, Ladymidnight said:

Sure, but I was talking generally - many Funkyou auction records graded at VG- seem to play decent judging by the soundclips. In fact that kind of grade appears to be pretty much what JM or TB and many others (perhaps influenced by the standards set by established dealers as those mentioned?) might call VG+ = rough-looking but playable. As long as the seller is clear on what he is selling it's all fine, I suppose.

Generally in my experience US dealers grade more conservatively than UK ones.

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

I have to say a couple of years ago I bought an Exus Trek from Pete here and condition-wise it`s a tad better than the one in the Chris`s link and it cost me, I think £120. And it`s also a west coast vinyl press, looks aren`t everything as it plays perfect!

Some of these prices and conditions are a joke. £!000 for Sassy demo of FB on here last week and unless i`m missing something, like a few decades, that`s double the price it should be.

It surely has to end in tears, just hope I'm about when they start coming back on the market at about 1/3rd of what they sold for :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest themroc
33 minutes ago, Pete S said:

Well I just had a Bobby Hebb - you want to change me - Philips white demo, looked mint but played very badly due to the pressing quality so I asked 10 or 15 quid for it instead of 50/60

Well Pete after a lifetime collecting Jamaican records if it stays in the groove it's vg😁

Social source share

14 hours ago, Ladymidnight said:

I would buy Vg- from funkyou with confidence.  Just had some lps graded as such, hardly a mark on them.  As you say most brits far to lax with their gradings.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Agree with Chalky and the comments above regarding the accuracy of UK grading.

For years the VG+ grade was used in the UK to mean a shagged, substandard disc. According the Goldmine standard it should mean a practically unused record.

Most of the 45s funkyou is selling as VG- would be Ex or Ex+ according to the standard I've historically observed among collectors and dealers on the UK Northern scene. That is changing thankfully.

The grading system on the sales section here is helping to educate. The bigger commercial dealers are far more realistic with their grades than they were ten or fifteen years ago.

Social source share

In my experience the more pricey the disc the greater the temptation for the seller to be more optimistic on the grading (human nature I guess). It would help if the same grading system was used by everyone.

p.s. I had Ringleaders on my ss wants with no replies so maybe not so rare but it appears no-one on here has one for sale - if you do then i am still in the market for a decent copy.

Social source share

1 hour ago, bbrich said:

In my experience the more pricey the disc the greater the temptation for the seller to be more optimistic on the grading (human nature I guess). It would help if the same grading system was used by everyone.

p.s. I had Ringleaders on my ss wants with no replies so maybe not so rare but it appears no-one on here has one for sale - if you do then i am still in the market for a decent copy.

You're right, it's not so rare but very, very popular the ones that come onto the market get snapped up.

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70
8 hours ago, chalky said:

I would buy Vg- from funkyou with confidence.  Just had some lps graded as such, hardly a mark on them.  As you say most brits far to lax with their gradings.

I bought a vg+ copy of The Way I Love you by The Continental Four from them and its pretty much what most would call EX+ or M- so I was very happy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!