Hand It Over-Chuck - Kent

=Hi Ady. I remember commenting on this many moons ago. The difference was between the version on the "Kent 50" compilation and the version on the original issue on the red/yellow UK Pye release. There was a small difference in the lyrics. One version had "come on baby and give me a kiss, come on baby that's just what I miss" versus the more risqué "come on baby take me for a ride, I know mama this has gotta be the night". Can't remember which version was which but sure someone on here will. 

Dave 

Social source share

There was definately a different version - Did it get put on a Kent LP, maybe that was it.  I know the UK Inferno release (which in itself was a freebie with an LP compilation) was this different vocal take, this was sometime around 83/84 ish, and thought at the time it was taken from the Kent LP, but it's been so long.

Kent 50, as posted above

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

Wand 149, Kent 45 + Inferno 45 all have "The way you let me have" + "come on baby and give me a kiss"

Wand 169 + Pye Int 45's both have "will you let ma have" + "come on baby take me for a ride"

Edited 08/02 - I am totally wrong about the 2 Wand 45's. It now looks as if on these 2 releases it is hit and miss as to which version you get.

Edited by gointoagogo
Incorrect information
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, gointoagogo said:

Wand 149, Kent 45 + Inferno 45 all have "The way you let me have" + "come on baby and give me a kiss"

Wand 169 + Pye Int 45's both have "will you let ma have" + "come on baby take me for a ride"

Thanks for confirming, I knew I wasn't imagining it

Social source share

1 hour ago, Only Dreaming said:

=Hi Ady. I remember commenting on this many moons ago. The difference was between the version on the "Kent 50" compilation and the version on the original issue on the red/yellow UK Pye release. There was a small difference in the lyrics. One version had "come on baby and give me a kiss, come on baby that's just what I miss" versus the more risqué "come on baby take me for a ride, I know mama this has gotta be the night". Can't remember which version was which but sure someone on here will. 

Dave 

Great thanks, I'lll listen out for that

Social source share

The version of 'In Between Tears' (Wand 128) you used on a Kent LP ...The Magic Touch (Kent 057, Tr 8) is completely different .. and loads better .. I don't think it's been issued on any other CD/LP

The 45 version is on CDKEND 107 'Any Day Now' LP

Andy

Edited by Andy Rix
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Does that mean, if I'm reading it right, US Wand 149 is different to US Wand 169. Never knew that.

Never knew that either. Has anyone got the deadwax info for 169? According to the labels they use the same master #: 50219.

Social source share

3 hours ago, gointoagogo said:

Hi ive played Wand 149 demo and he sings "come on baby take me for a ride" not kiss. Unless its my lugs.

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Mick Reed said:

Well just had a listin to about 15 copys on y tube 149 and 169 all take me for a ride apart from one copy of 169 which was give me a kiss.

This is strange lol - out of the ones I picked from youtube I got the "give me a kiss" on the 149 below.

I've known there were 2 versions since the Inferno one came out - was it included in a LP btw? I actually preferred that version to the one  had on Wand but I can't remember which Wand one I had and its long gone. I got another one recently and I'll check it when I'm back from hols.

I was at a do in Crewe late last year and I mentioned to my pal that they were playing Hand It Over for the second time in 90 minutes but at least they played the other version.

Social source share

Well, this prompted me to find a list I wrote years ago! Take a look, I figured out both Chuck Jackson alt takes.

What about the others Ady? All on Kent LPs

The Terry Callier (not Kent) alt version of 'Look At Me Now' at the bottom of the list could be from a Chess LP I have?

P1070363.thumb.JPG.cff1e3818c862f19d5ec47e35821ec0e.JPG

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Going slightly off topic- where did the version of the Platters'  "With This Ring" on Kent's Cellar Of Soul  Volume Three come from ??

The 45 and album version both clock in at 2:24, this version seems slower and has an extra verse not on the 45-

"got nothing but this old heart of mine, Baby please believe in me, Girl you know sweetheart, I'll always try to keep you satisfied...." 

Social source share

10 minutes ago, the yank said:

Going slightly off topic- where did the version of the Platters'  "With This Ring" on Kent's Cellar Of Soul  Volume Three come from ??

The 45 and album version both clock in at 2:24, this version seems slower and has an extra verse not on the 45-

"got nothing but this old heart of mine, Baby please believe in me, Girl you know sweetheart, I'll always try to keep you satisfied...." 

Ha, still at it! It's a minefield. I'll check tomorrow. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That copy of 169 sounds like a Monarch press (delta 54749) from a Columbia-cut lacquer. Could be that it's a bit more complex than all copies of 149 play one version and all copies of 169 play a completely different one. 

Can anyone confirm they have a Wand 45 which definitely plays the "give me a kiss…" version? This is the version first used by Kent on "Club Soul" in 1984.

Social source share

25 minutes ago, garethx said:

That copy of 169 sounds like a Monarch press (delta 54749) from a Columbia-cut lacquer. Could be that it's a bit more complex than all copies of 149 play one version and all copies of 169 play a completely different one. 

Can anyone confirm they have a Wand 45 which definitely plays the "give me a kiss…" version? This is the version first used by Kent on "Club Soul" in 1984.

I'll compare that tomorrow 

Social source share

12 hours ago, ady croasdell said:

Just played a 169 and defo the Pye version. Quickest way to tell is the 149 original has him shout Yeah after his second Hand It Over.

54749-X

W-169-B

50129-1c

markings on this 169

Hi Ady my 149 demo does not have him shout yeah after his second hand it over but have checked matris marks monarch pressin and they confirm feb 1964.Here are the marix marks, mr 51411  45-W-149-A   50129-16. Hope this helps.

Edited by Mick Reed
Info
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Mick Reed said:

Hi Ady my 149 demo does not have him shout yeah after his second hand it over but have checked matris marks and they confirm feb 1964.Here are the marix marks, mr 51411  45-W-149-A   50129-16. Hope this helps.

Thanks Mick it does help but it ain't much clearer!

Both 149 demo and 169 issue have the ride versions but have quite different markings 51411 and 54749.

Has anyone got a 169 that plays kiss? It looks like 149 plays both versions though maybe its only demos that play ride? If they are variations could you put the markings up too please?

Social source share

12 hours ago, garethx said:

That's the same version we've used all through and judging by that posted YouTube of 149 it does look like it plays kiss but verification of a copy with number details would confirm it.

Social source share

13 hours ago, the yank said:

We used the same version as we had issued in 1994 on our Platters CD but a mono tape, so they sent us two different tapes both the longer version. It must have been edited and remixed for release unless anyone has a copy of the longer version which also has another chorus before the inst break too. I don't think the tempo's different but it's a different brass mix as the bari sax doesn't come in on the second "always love you" as it does on the 45. 

You can have the extra 20 seconds for free! We'll put the correct version out soon too.

Thanks

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!