Hand It Over-Chuck - Kent

14 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

Well, this prompted me to find a list I wrote years ago! Take a look, I figured out both Chuck Jackson alt takes.

What about the others Ady? All on Kent LPs

The Terry Callier (not Kent) alt version of 'Look At Me Now' at the bottom of the list could be from a Chess LP I have?

P1070363.thumb.JPG.cff1e3818c862f19d5ec47e35821ec0e.JPG

Brilliant, when I've got an afternoon and some dubs I'll tackle these though I'm not sure which Terry Callier LP you mean.

Any more for any more?

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Geoff Whitfield said:

Hi Ady

he might mean the double Chess compilation that came out late 80's early nighties?

cheers

Geoff

Yes that's the one Geoff.

I know I heard an alternate version of 'Look At Me Now' but as I haven't got the original 45 to compare I figured it was on that LP but I did write that list years ago and the brain has shrunk since then ;-)

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Yes that's the one Geoff.

I know I heard an alternate version of 'Look At Me Now' but as I haven't got the original 45 to compare I figured it was on that LP but I did write that list years ago and the brain has shrunk since then ;-)

It's on Kent cd - when they were doing Chess comps - the one on Charly is the usual version

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Thanks for that Pete, I knew I never imagined it!

It's so hard to remember this stuff to be honest, things I knew ten years ago I just don't remember now.  I read an unpublished book I wrote in 1997 (much of it is on here in the archive) and I can't believe what I knew then, I sure as hell don't know it now.

Social source share

Maxine Brown - Let Me Give You My Lovin'

at 47 seconds ... Well alright, it's ok .... I believe this is the 45 version .. Best of the Wand Years CDKEND 312

at 47 seconds .. Well alright, it's alright ... with prominent guitar on intro ... 'Oh No Not My Baby .. Best Of' CDKEND 949

Two People - Stop Leave My Heart Alone : Not sure it's an alternate version but it's in Stereo so sounds very different

Johnny Maestro - Steppin Out ... : There is the version with the woman wailing in the middle (Kent 30 CDKEND 384) .. and the other with just male backing vocals ( New York Soul Serenade CDKEND 149)

Maxine Brown - It's Torture .. at least 2 versions

without drum intro - Kent 30 CDKEND 384

with drum intro - Best of the Wand Years (CDKEND 312) & Livin The Nightlife (CDKEND 104) & Oh No Not My Baby .. Best Of (CDKEND 949)

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

Maxine Brown - Let Me Give You My Lovin'

at 47 seconds ... Well alright, it's ok .... I believe this is the 45 version .. Best of the Wand Years CDKEND 312

at 47 seconds .. Well alright, it's alright ... with prominent guitar on intro ... 'Oh No Not My Baby .. Best Of' CDKEND 949

Two People - Stop Leave My Heart Alone : Not sure it's an alternate version but it's in Stereo so sounds very different

Johnny Maestro - Steppin Out ... : There is the version with the woman wailing in the middle (Kent 30 CDKEND 384) .. and the other with just male backing vocals ( New York Soul Serenade CDKEND 149)

Maxine Brown - It's Torture .. at least 2 versions

without drum intro - Kent 30 CDKEND 384

with drum intro - Best of the Wand Years (CDKEND 312) & Livin The Nightlife (CDKEND 104) & Oh No Not My Baby .. Best Of (CDKEND 949)

Andy

Thanks Andy, the Maxine's should have been corrected by 312 I'll check on them

Social source share

7 hours ago, ady croasdell said:

Brilliant, when I've got an afternoon and some dubs I'll tackle these though I'm not sure which Terry Callier LP you mean.

Any more for any more?

Marie Knight - That's No Way To Treat A Girl extended intro on the Kent album compared to the 45 ?

Social source share

My wand 149 has these lyrics "will you let ma have" + "come on baby take me for a ride"

dead wax marks read "wand (scratched) 149A 50129-1E (pressed)"

Social source share

10 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Think some of the alternate mixes were on the " Just Keep On Dancing " CD .I remember Terry Callier "Look at me now " was way different 

And I actually realised that before the event and was chuffed to get it and play it out. There are great stereos on Landslide and Doug Banks on those CDs

• Helpful 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Think some of the alternate mixes were on the " Just Keep On Dancing " CD .I remember Terry Callier "Look at me now " was way different 

The version of "Hold On" by the Radiants on the "Just Keep On Dancing" CD is much better than the released version.

Those annoying back up singers that sound like they came from the Opera Company down the street are gone and the song sounds much better.

Social source share

3 hours ago, the yank said:

The version of "Hold On" by the Radiants on the "Just Keep On Dancing" CD is much better than the released version.

Those annoying back up singers that sound like they came from the Opera Company down the street are gone and the song sounds much better.

Others don't agree, those CDs were a minefield of alt versions, several unknown to me!

Social source share

I don't know how many alt takes Pete's article covers. But I remember you, Ady, saying many years ago that there might be much more alt version hidden on the Kent LPs that people are aware of. From what I remember you said back then that quite often you picked the master tape that sounded most like the released one whenever you didn't have the original 45/LP at hand for reference.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Benji said:

I don't know how many alt takes Pete's article covers. But I remember you, Ady, saying many years ago that there might be much more alt version hidden on the Kent LPs that people are aware of. From what I remember you said back then that quite often you picked the master tape that sounded most like the released one whenever you didn't have the original 45/LP at hand for reference.

I would estimate 20 tracks are alt versions by mistake. Many more are intentionally alt and should be described as such somewhere. The first released date tells you a lot. If it's the date of the original single or LP then it should be exactly that. If it's the release date of the CD then we know its an alternate.

Social source share

46 minutes ago, Tony Smith said:

Soul Brothers Six "I'll Be Loving You" sounds completely different on the "Getting' To Me" CD

(Not alternate, I know, but if you played it back to back with the 45, you'd swear they were different)

That's the one that got me the most; I couldn't believe they were the same until I compared them

• Helpful 1
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Alternate version of James Lately - Love ,Friends and Money on one of the Dave Hamilton CD's 

Yes, we corrected that by putting the dubbed single out later, it's an underdub on the first CD without strings but better in other aspects. The tape of the flip is different too, longer on tape. 

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Mick Reed said:

Sorry but i still think above.

Could be, we await an official sighting

On 2/8/2017 at 18:15, Steve G said:

Just played 149 and 169....never noticed the difference in the final lyrics before. Nice.

Steve, did you play your 45s or YouTubes? If the former can you give us the markings on the kiss version please?

Ta

Ady

Social source share

21 hours ago, Tony Smith said:

So are we saying ALL copies of 169 have the "kiss" lyric or just some??

I'm confused, I thought it was the 149 that was in question. Isn't that the Kiss / Kent / Inferno version, with maybe some of the 149 copies being this take and maybe some aren't. As to the 169 version, aren't they all the same as UK Pye.?

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

Just now, Mick Holdsworth said:

I'm confused, I thought it was the 149 that was in question. Isn't that the Kiss / Kent / Inferno version, with maybe some of the 149 this take, whereas the 169 version is the same as UK Pye.

Someone back up there thought that 169 had both versions but it could be YouTube playing tricks.

Social source share

50 minutes ago, ady croasdell said:

Could be, we await an official sighting

Steve, did you play your 45s or YouTubes? If the former can you give us the markings on the kiss version please?

Ta

Ady

Youtube??? You heathen Ady LOL. Is the Manhattan 3 CD out yet?

149 = 50129-1A

169 = 50129 - 1D

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Youtube??? You heathen Ady LOL. Is the Manhattan 3 CD out yet?

149 = 50129-1A

169 = 50129 - 1D

Ha, I thought so, knowing you. Great stuff, there IS an alt on 45 and it is substantially different vocal and lyrics as commented upon.

149A 50129-1E (pressed) -ride

149 = 50129-1A -kiss

169 = 50129 - 1D -ride

My 169 was ride but looked more like 1c i'll check again

All we need now is a 169 kiss but that may not exist.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!