News: Bobby Freeman RIP

Mike

I remember Do You Want To Dance when I was a kid, really liked it at the time but you rarely heard it on the BBC Light Programme. Occasionally you'd hear his releases, usually on Saturday Club. But in 1964 his record of C'mon And Swim Parts 1 and 2 was a big record in Mod clubs and was, if my memory is correct, played on Ready Steady Go and featured Patrick Kerr and Theresa Confrey demonstrating the Swim. I still like that record, might get me up on the dance floor now. Some of his later records were popular on the Northern Scene and I remember Swing Me and Fever being played at the Capitol Soul Club.

Sad to read he's died but you can only hope his latter years were healthy and comfortable. I wonder if he knew that some of his records were still popular over here.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

What a Cool Soul Dude, Bobby I Salute you!  Good lookin,great Dancer , fabuloso singer , and you wrote the stuff! Hope you and yours benefitted from the dozen or so wimpish. ,covers of "Do You Wanna Dance ",from Harry Webb to the Ramones. My personal fave tune your ,stylish aquatic dance shimmy, cover of "The Duck"! Johnny , Malaga..

Social source share

Long time ago, in the days when I was still buying records I've never heard of before, I bought cheap that 45 on Loma by that dude. I loved instantly on first hearing both 'I've got a good thing' but I 'lies' remained my favorite side. To this day it still works the same for me. Drama soulfulness slice of life at it's best. Thanks Bobby and farewell.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

RIP Bobby, my memories go back to my early ventures out to clubs and hearing Bobby's records for the first time then buying S-W-I-M, C'mon and Swim, and I'll never fall in love again, after recommendations from my pal Pete 'Ellis' Twigger from Walsall who guided me through the new found soul jungle I encountered.

Pete sadly died young but left behind a wonderful collection of mainly British label trophy 45's, those who knew him will remember what a great collection it was.

So memories of Bobby's work and my old mate Pete, some happy and now sad again.

Graham Hawkins.

Social source share

On 09/02/2017 at 21:22, tlscapital said:

Long time ago, in the days when I was still buying records I've never heard of before, I bought cheap that 45 on Loma by that dude. I loved instantly on first hearing both 'I've got a good thing' but I 'lies' remained my favorite side. To this day it still works the same for me. Drama soulfulness slice of life at it's best. Thanks Bobby and farewell.

What a great record. Don't know where I have been hiding not to know this. Price and availability anyone please. ? 

Steve

Social source share

On 09/02/2017 at 21:22, tlscapital said:

New to me as is the flip!

Ed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!