Cherished record casualties

Davebanks

Just knelt on a copy of Sandy Wynns - Loves like Quicksand on Canterbury and its cracked all the way across, Doh!

I know its not that expensive to replace but I liked that copy, had it since 1972!!!

Anyway whats your cherished record casualty.

We have all heard of Frank Wilson being left on the chipshop counter and the Len Barry album flying off the top of Richard Searlings car, everyone must have similar tales to tell.

Lets hear them.

Dave Banks

Social source share

Dave , this is my worst I reckon , putting a few tunes on one Saturday night , having copius amounts of Vino. Every time a record finished put it back in the sleeve and drop it on to the setee next to the deck , put something else on and decided to park my arse on top of my Moses Smith -Keep On Striving / Come On, Let Me Love You , broke in 3 fookin' bits , gutted  :(

Swifty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Left a copy of Barbara McNair your gonna love my baby on top of the telly, went out to a Sunday afternoon Soul do at Tuskers late 80s and the floor to ceiling balcony window blinds were open. Mid summer.....sun was blazing hot and got back to a Motown ashtray. Trying to flatten it out made me realise it's impossible.

I am also on my 6th  copy of Bobby Sheen Something new to do as I had a habit of breaking them...don't ask why I just seem to end up cracking them!

Social source share

My once mint copy of Luther Ingram is cracked where Les Cokell stood on it when I lent it to him.

My George Smith is also cracked due to cold shock after taking it out of a very hot Shotts and placing it on a -5ºC Crewe minibus dash board.

Remember following Saus and his boot popping open and albums fluttering out all over the M6.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Put my big fat elbow on The Drifter - Now in a frame on the wall cracked all the way through. 

Put my other big fat elbow on Gloria Parker - Cracked all the way through 

Stood on the Hyperions at Lew Stanleys house - No damage, my lucky day

And i wounder why I don't get invited to tea :thumbup:

Social source share

On 2/9/2017 at 19:04, davebanks said:

Just knelt on a copy of Sandy Wynns - Loves like Quicksand on Canterbury and its cracked all the way across, Doh!I know its not that expensive to replace but I liked that copy, had it since 1972!!! Anyway whats your cherished record casualty. We have all heard of Frank Wilson being left on the chipshop counter and the Len Barry album flying off the top of Richard Searlings car, everyone must have similar tales to tell. Lets hear them. Dave Banks

Duke Browner - Crying over you, snapped clean in two :( think I still have a photo somewhere........

Social source share

I don't know about cherished as I never got to play them.... 

My tale of woe starts with my local postie who is a top bloke and if nobody is in he leaves my records in my blue recycle bin to save me the hassle of going into town and picking them up at the post office , we have been doing this for years ! 

Anyway I go off on a family holiday and in the meantime my new neighbours move in , My postie as always sticks my £300.00 worth of records in my recycle bin.... 

I come back from holiday,  see my postage slips in my mail pile and excitedly rush outside to retrieve them from my hiding place,  my wife still laughs as she recalls  the look on my face when I flung open the bin to see nothing,  and I mean nothing !!!!!!

Out pops my new neighbours to boast they'd done the new neighbourly thing and put my bin out for me whilst I was on holiday ! I had to fight back the tears as I thanked them !!!! 

Needless to say I now pick my records up from the post office.... 

Edited by 123-motown
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, 123-motown said:

I don't about cherished as I never got to play them.... 

My tale of woe starts with my local postie who is a top bloke and if nobody is in he leaves my records in my blue recycle bin to save me the hassle of going into town and picking them up at the post office , we have been doing this for years ! 

Anyway I go off on a family holiday and in the meantime my new neighbours move in , My postie as always sticks my £300.00 worth of records in my recycle bin.... 

I come back from holiday,  see my postage slips in my mail pile and excitedly rush outside to retrieve them from my hiding place,  my wife still laughs as she recalls  the look on my face when I flung open the bin to see nothing,  and I mean nothing !!!!!!

Out pops my new neighbours to boast they'd done the new neighbourly thing and put my bin out for me whilst I was on holiday ! I had to fight back the tears as I thanked them !!!! 

Needless to say I now pick my records up from the post office.... 

been lucky that way all my parcels are left in my green bin when not in,can only  guess how you felt mate

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Coming up the back stairs at Nottingham oddfellows really crowded 1983 april  I just bought what's I gonna be  dusty .Springfield on an American demo princely sum of 3 pound it was in my soul bag when the crowd surged forward we all heard a loud crack of it snapping in half I turned round well pissed off to find these beautiful piecing grey eyes of now my wife sally  profusely declaring her innocence  in the accident .when I looked later it was snapped completely in half lost a tune gained a wife still got both lol :P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, redditchcrew said:

:hatsoff2:Coming up the back stairs at Nottingham oddfellows really crowded 1983 april  I just bought what's I gonna be  dusty .Springfield on an American demo princely sum of 3 pound it was in my soul bag when the crowd surged forward we all heard a loud crack of it snapping in half I turned round well pissed off to find these beautiful piecing grey eyes of now my wife sally  profusely declaring her innocence  in the accident .when I looked later it was snapped completely in half lost a tune gained a wife still got both lol :P

Thats why we call our wives the OTHER HALF :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hiya, I've mentioned these on here before, Barbara, your gonna love my baby, records strewn al over the place,  chucked my keys, not only cracked it but put hole through it near end of track into run out, bobby bland yum yum tree or should I yum yum knee,  dean Courtney  same ' I'll always KNEED you' also my wife took a great photo with cheap but great record  ' Eddie floyd - never found a girl '  me falling over in corner of room - Snap !! And to make it worse it worse she took another photo of me asleep in the same corner holding both halves aloft.  Finally for now ' creation- a dream'  just prior to playing, held it in my hands telling whoever was in the  room ' what an awesome f..king tune and squeezed with passion - SNAP.   Must check my  boxes,  could be some unknown crackers in there ' what's this one on breakthrough.   Cheers

Social source share

Went to my first all nighter in summer 1972- Leeds Central, heard "Unsatisfied' for the first time, thought all my birthdays had comer at once the next week, spending my dinner money at Bostocks in Bradford market, I picked up a Big Top issue for 20 pence.

Left in on my bedroom floor and my mother stood on it!!

Tim.

Social source share

On 2/9/2017 at 18:04, davebanks said:

Just knelt on a copy of Sandy Wynns - Loves like Quicksand on Canterbury and its cracked all the way across, Doh!

I know its not that expensive to replace but I liked that copy, had it since 1972!!!

We have all heard of Frank Wilson being left on the chipshop counter and the Len Barry album flying off the top of Richard Searlings car, everyone must have similar tales to tell.

Lets hear them.

Dave Banks

Think it was the Jades that got left on the chip shop counter ( by Dave Mccadden )

Social source share

Hiya,  yep the jades on chippy counter.  Had a similar cat experience, was working away for a long stint and  one of my exes. Decided  to  put all  my unboxed albums on show in those pine shelving units,  for eleven weeks every single one on show became part of moggys scratching post.   Cheers

Social source share

After a few too many beers and suffering from severe butter fingers I dropped my previously NM Stratoliners on Federal and cracked it... then whilst giving Geno Washington "I'll Be Around" on ATAC a bit of a clean the day it arrived, I was perhaps being a bit over-exuberant and snapped it over my knee.... :glare: completely avoidable, and stupidity on my part! taped it up and it still plays... but it doesn't half hurt just thinking about it...
Theres a few others too, but I have tried to erase them from my memory.... 

Social source share

21 hours ago, LiamGP said:

Broken a few, but also left my record box open once, went for a shower and returned to find the cat sharpening its claws on all the closely packed 45s. Five records chipped about 3mm from the run-in grooves and one split down to the label. Little bastard...   

How much was it to have the cat stuffed?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya,  ouch pete !! I've got the power, your finger certainly has.  Cheers

Thing was I'd arranged to sell it to Max Millward for £500 and was taking it over to him so I thought rather than just put it on the car seat, I'll repackage it, and pushing it in the envelope my finger literally cracked it, so I took it to Max and he played it and handed the £500 over and I said Max, check the record out, I've actually cracked it - it didn't sound, he hadn't noticed and may never have done so - but I couldn't do that so we decided on £150 and I lost a couple of hundred due to what I'd paid for it.  Good karma though.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hey pete we've got a copy of RIVAGE "STRUNG OUT ON YOUR LOVE" That's got your finger print on other side from when you were trying to mend a edge crack and it stuck to your finger !!! 

Back in the mid 70's bought a copy of CHUBBY CHECKER " JUST DONT KNOW" on a mint uk pye promo amongst a few other bits at wigan in morning drove across to notts for pallis dayer Chucked45's on back window of the cortina. On getting back to skeg late sunday nite had a fantastic white pye demo ash tray !!!! Gutted. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not the most popular of tracks but I was as sick as a parrot in the late 1970's when my copy of the Mystic Moods - Astral Trip got a burn hole half way across the record it had been lent on a small light on a friends twin deck unit which I never imagined  was hot enough to cause any damage. :pirate:

Social source share

On 2/13/2017 at 17:16, LiamGP said:

Broken a few, but also left my record box open once, went for a shower and returned to find the cat sharpening its claws on all the closely packed 45s. Five records chipped about 3mm from the run-in grooves and one split down to the label. Little bastard...   

Cats seem to like that, mine has done the same but luckily no damage at all.

Her she is with my left over collection of 45's in 2008.

patti2.thumb.JPG.d29601d0d5bb6ce23844e2db4e595388.JPG

Edited by spook
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Anyone had a record destroyed by an out-of-control robot? (at 7 secs)

If I didn't know better I'd think this was another of PS's Carstairs 45s meeting its timely end. LOL! :)

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Got several tales of woe for ya...I always cry when I see Bobby Reed on Bell for sale, and I'll tell you why. There was a store on the west side of Cleveland called Hot Wax Emporium (I'll also have to share the story of taking Ashibende to visit this place when he came to Cleveland sometime) which had two copies for $2 apiece. I bought one (in all hindsight, I should've gotten them both!), I was chatting with Gene Merideth on the phone and wound up swapping that copy to him. No probs, I figured, just venture back to the west side and snag that other copy, which I did...or so I thought. I was in the car with my Mom, we were halfway to our house on the east side, I looked through the bag of stuff I purchased...and Bobby Reed wasn't there! The kid working the counter didn't put it in the bag! The place went out of business not long afterward, so I'll never know what happened to it. Maybe it wound up in the hands of one of you guys across the pond for all I know!

I also suspect that I may have lost some 45's when I moved, in particular a box of 'C' 45s, which had both "Dance Dance Dance" and "When I'm In Your Arms" by the Casualeers, Chain Reaction by the Celestrials, There Was a Time by Gene Chandler and Desiree by the Charts, all of which would be damn good in my DJ box! There are quite a few other decent 45's I have that I can't seem to find...I have to arrange all my singles in pure alpha order to know what's there.

And stuff has broken as well...both Cynthia and the Imaginations on Blue Rock and "Getting Mighty Crowded" by Betty Everett broke in half, due to my poor storage of stuff at the time. I also accidentally broke "A New Day Begins" by the Parliaments with my foot (don't ask!)...that was the second copy I had...the first, I lent to a guy I was working with on a temp gig, along with my copy of the Do Me Right album by the Detroit Emeralds. I got sick on that gig and never returned, so he got a couple of records from me!

Best,

Mark

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Carstairs - Really Hurts Me Girl and Millie Jackson -House for Sale. Sound when I bought them back in the 70s. Played them one day and there was a background hissing sound, which has never disappeared. Annoying! :( Have no idea how that happened.

Social source share

On 2/9/2017 at 19:04, davebanks said:

Lets hear them.

Dave Banks

Once ran over in my car a "Hank Jacobs - Elijah rockin with soul" that belonged to the record arranger Arthur Wright :ohmy:

Social source share

Oh yes! And Barnaby Bye Can't Live This Way (I know, but I loved it and still do). Bought it at Wigan, put it in my bag. Hours later, looked for my bag and it was buried in a corner under a pile of coats, bags and bodies, under the stairs. Cracked. Now plays like this...."I can't live this way, hic, so I've gotta say, hic". Not a huge loss, but very disappointing when you're 16 and skint. Probably one of my lot who sat on it!

Social source share

3 hours ago, flamingemeralds said:

Oh yes! And Barnaby Bye Can't Live This Way (I know, but I loved it and still do). Bought it at Wigan, put it in my bag. Hours later, looked for my bag and it was buried in a corner under a pile of coats, bags and bodies, under the stairs. Cracked. Now plays like this...."I can't live this way, hic, so I've gotta say, hic". Not a huge loss, but very disappointing when you're 16 and skint. Probably one of my lot who sat on it!

Got a Barnaby Bye that I'm willing to trade if you need another one...nice and clean copy!

Best,

Mark

Social source share

A few years ago during a very heated telephone argument my EX girlfriend told me she was about to start smashing my records. I was only about 2 miles away and despite doing over 70 all the way home in a 30 mph zone, charging upstairs pushing the spare room door open only to find probably over 30 records smashed to smithereens. I was too upset to see what they were, but i can remember there was The Fiestas Think Smart, Grover Mitchell What Hurts, Big Maybelle Quitting Time, Jean Wells What Have I Got To Lose. I stuffed the lot in a bin bag and threw it straight in the dustbin.

Brain dead bitch.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

A few years ago during a very heated telephone argument my EX girlfriend told me she was about to start smashing my records. I was only about 2 miles away and despite doing over 70 all the way home in a 30 mph zone, charging upstairs pushing the spare room door open only to find probably over 30 records smashed to smithereens. I was too upset to see what they were, but i can remember there was The Fiestas Think Smart, Grover Mitchell What Hurts, Big Maybelle Quitting Time, Jean Wells What Have I Got To Lose. I stuffed the lot in a bin bag and threw it straight in the dustbin.

Brain dead bitch.

Ouch !!!

Social source share

Just played my intruders "Up and Down The Ladder" London Demo which ive had for over 20 years. It kept jumping....on checking the record it has developed quite a large warp! How? . Records that were filed away either side played fine.

Social source share

1 hour ago, clevesoulie said:

Got a Barnaby Bye that I'm willing to trade if you need another one...nice and clean copy!

Best,

Mark

That's extremely kind of you Mark. Thing is, I don't collect, I just have a couple of boxes of old vinyl from back in the day. I don't play them. They're in the attic. I don't even have a player! But your offer is really kind all the same. A decent gent you are indeed. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!