Cherished record casualties

Davebanks

25 minutes ago, flamingemeralds said:

That's extremely kind of you Mark. Thing is, I don't collect, I just have a couple of boxes of old vinyl from back in the day. I don't play them. They're in the attic. I don't even have a player! But your offer is really kind all the same. A decent gent you are indeed. :thumbsup:

And its a shite record! 

:wicked:

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
19 hours ago, flamingemeralds said:

Carstairs - Really Hurts Me Girl and Millie Jackson -House for Sale. Sound when I bought them back in the 70s. Played them one day and there was a background hissing sound, which has never disappeared. Annoying! :( Have no idea how that happened.

Sure you haven't got tinnitus 🎶

Social source share

Someone a few posts back mentioned about a warped record...I brought "Sunny Sunday" by Bunny Sigler with me to the DJ gig I was doing...after all, it WAS sunny and it WAS Sunday, so I thought it'd be apropos to play it. The vinyl is nice and clean on it, but I obviously didn't look at the record too closely when I bought it. When I tried to cue up the record, I couldn't get the needle on it, which I thought was weird till I noticed a nice sized WARP on the edge that made playing the record impossible!

Best,

Mark

Social source share

Billy Kennedy - Sweet Thing/Groovy Generation - Thelma

Saw it in Pat Brady's sales box at Cleethorpes early 2000's, mint, didn't buy it. Regretted it afterwards so phoned him up and he'd still got it, phew, did the deal. When it turned up (posted special delivery) one corner of the mailer was crushed and there was a clear boot print on the mailer.

I carefully extracted the record from the mailer and it was crushed and cracked along one edge, but only in the run in, both sides still played. But it wasn't worth £200 any more, so I put in a claim with the PO. After a bit of messing about on their part (I had to get Pat to verify that it had actually cost that much, he was really helpful; sent a letter and example lists to show record prices) a PO investigator visited me at work to view the record and packaging. I explained it was a really rare record and I was unlikely to find another one in the condition it had been in before the PO had got hold of it. He said he'd reimburse me but he'd have to take the record with him, I said I wanted to frame it as it was so rare (and it still played), we haggled and eventually settled for £175 and me keeping the record.

Years later I told Pat about it and he said I should have taken the money and got another, I said "but it still played, both sides". He gave me a really odd look and said accusingly "So you got a Billy Kennedy for 25 quid !?!", "Yes, but you still got 200 for it", "Yes, but you got a Billy Kennedy for 25 quid!", "Yes but it is all crushed and cracked in the run in for about an inch on one side" "Yes, but ..." Etc etc.

I'm still sure he thinks that I somehow got one over on him. Funny old game. Still got it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 14:25, Pete S said:

Thing was I'd arranged to sell it to Max Millward for £500 and was taking it over to him so I thought rather than just put it on the car seat, I'll repackage it, and pushing it in the envelope my finger literally cracked it, so I took it to Max and he played it and handed the £500 over and I said Max, check the record out, I've actually cracked it - it didn't sound, he hadn't noticed and may never have done so - but I couldn't do that so we decided on £150 and I lost a couple of hundred due to what I'd paid for it.  Good karma though.

:hatsoff2:HI ALL Pete how strange your story of Joann Courcy is as I have your copy all fixed and plays perfect, as the crack was only on one half of the record (edge to centre, the repair was easy to do, in the old days I could easy palm it of at a All-NIGHTER for a good price, as buy the time the crack become noticeable any come back on me would be met with, you should look after your records sorry it's a shame as it is a good sound, but I can't help you. I stress to everyone this is back in the 1970's,

I got it from MAX RIP with a few more it worked out that it cost me £100 as you know records become cheaper the more you buy, I think he wanted £250 for it, I would take £350 as it looks & plays OK, the price of a minty one is around £800 when you had it it going for over £1000, I will always remember the last pint I had with MAX, sadly he was brown bread a week later? he was a good man. KTF DAVE K.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!