Silky Hargraves - Keep Loving You

Andrea Ko

1 minute ago, Dave Girdwood said:

Agree with Pete - when the hell did this shoot up to over a grand, always thought it was £450/500 (great record though)

That' exactly what I would like to pay for it.....

but if there are people willing to pay more it's right that they'll get it in my place

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Was looking for a copy for some time and observed a few sales, meaning copies that actually sold. My conclusion:

demo ~500

issue ~1.000

for ex or better copies. respectively less for copies in worse condition. A vg-/vg issue went for about 500 on Ebay a few months ago.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well I do understand that some prefer to collect issues in some or all case. Especially if you want your records label collection ordered in color harmony. Still with this Silky on Dearborn, that alone can't justify such price difference from simple to double IMHO. When you come to fan's records (Beatles & Co.), that works. But here it's not a label variation with a story behind to justify such gap in prices between the 2 pressings.

I do love Silky 3 records and still am yet to see a fan who collects everything to do with the man/the artist here to crash simple to double on a 3 digits price tag for a label variation from a label that nobody that I know collect. I thought it was rather a record that has a lot of appeal to command it's high price. With the better the condition factor the higher the price. Too many worn copies floating around DO justify from simple to double or triple the price for the cleaner copies.

And indeed in some situation some pressings demo or issues are truly rarer one way or the other. This one not I find. Myth remain from the pre-tinternt days were prices by the book made collectors overpay some records regarded as "holy grails". Now with online and open auctions, many if not most records do get a more likely realistic "street value" accordingly.

Now a mint stocker of this 45 is indeed rarer than a mint demo. On that I agree and for a hard-core collector who wants to own and never take it out of it's sleeve, £1000+ for a super clean stocker can be regarded as a worthy investment indeed. The promo in similar condition nowadays easily fetches £750 and more...

But stocker vg- to demo vg- sell for the same money and there seem to be more vg- issue copies than demos floating around we've now learned.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Overpriced and will never sell at that price. Label looks worn and with the stamp, price should be reduced accordingly. Label wear suggests vinyl unlikely to be Mint minus so caution advised. Great record and one that I do not own (yet). Have been watching prices closely and seen this one escalate but there are enough copies of this coming up at auction to bide one's time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!