Root and Jenny Jackson

jam66

Round about '67 '68 as a 13/14 year old I started going 'down town', freezing cold cokes in the Continental coffee bar or Cont as it was referred to. The place for an aspiring young Mod. A memory that sticks out is the posters around for Gino Washington and his Ram Jam band but also for Root and Jenny Jackson. These memories had been pushed to the back of the mind till looking at John's list this morning. He has a B&S up and mentions Root and Jenny whom I had totally forgotten. A quick internet search turned up discographies but no information. Anyone enlighten me please. :thumbsup:

Social source share

UK based 'husband & wife' team (? . . . maybe brother / sister) who played live gigs most nights of the week from mid to late 60's. Used to hand out tambourines to audience members to get the atmosphere going at their gigs but always used to lose a few at every show (tea leafs in the crowd). Always put on a good show, nearly always playing covers of currently popular Motown / Stax / Atlantic type tracks. Never really broke thru on record.

Seem to recall seeing them late in 1967 playing at the Nite Owl in Leicester.

Root stayed in the biz for many years, in later times fronting a blues band that also recorded at times.  

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Hiya,  I think  my sister (rip) and husband  ( pre marriage ) used to go  there  along with night owl, burlesque etc so I guess they saw root &. Jenny,  thinking about it, they  may  have  played at the George in Hinckley.  Must ask brother in law when I  see him.  Regarding beacon releases there's  about five in total, I think ?  Cheers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Great clip - any idea what it was used for at the time?

Love the guy with the Byrds style shades smoking in the middle of the dancefloor 

Looked like a few were decorated with Purple Hearts for their part in the struggle too. :wicked:

Social source share

Just now, Mr Fred said:

If my memory serves me well, they hailed out of Huddersfield.                                         Regards Fred                             

Crikey! Gobsmacked at that for some reason. One of those nevverrr moments, cheers Fred.

Social source share

On 2/11/2017 at 11:44, jam66 said:

Round about '67 '68 as a 13/14 year old I started going 'down town', freezing cold cokes in the Continental coffee bar or Cont as it was referred to. The place for an aspiring young Mod. A memory that sticks out is the posters around for Gino Washington and his Ram Jam band but also for Root and Jenny Jackson. These memories had been pushed to the back of the mind till looking at John's list this morning. He has a B&S up and mentions Root and Jenny whom I had totally forgotten. A quick internet search turned up discographies but no information. Anyone enlighten me please. :thumbsup:

Seem to remember seeing them once at the Marquee in London, we got in as they were halfway through their act. As always the records are better than the live performance.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

"Let's Go Nowhere"? ,

Just a Health warning to S.S. Chums! Soul Slider put it audibly more subtley,Root and Jenny's great Live shows did not convert to vinyl(cousins actually) their 5 recordings 4 on Beacon And one as The Breakfast Club on Cane are "Different"

As an annoying little arse, at Station Road ,I would pester the numerous uno DJ,on the planet Dickie Starling ,for dance plays .,e.g.;  Smith Bros ,Capreeez, Tavares "Heaven"and aweekly irritant to him ;Richard Dean Taylor's "Let'let's Go Somewhere" !  In a stroke of eloquent genius ,on commence meant of his early morning spot before I could utter play "Let's Go " He handed me Mint copy of Beacon 136 from 1969. I rushed away with my treasure, forget Beryl Marsden and David Garricks this must be it , from a master of Brit Soul ,Richard! One play later had the desired effect, never would I annoy the Chosen One Again  . It was /is Totally Awful.LOL Johnny Hart .Malaga.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!