Articles: The Story - Inspirations - No One Else Can Take Your Place

Chalky

Great article.  Good to get some hard facts and Neil Rushton's involment in getting it played on the Nothern scene. Good photo of Charles Pennywell.

You mention that The Sunlovers "My Poor Heart" came out on Mutt and Jeff in June 1967.  It also came out on Breakthrough.  Do you know which is the first label?

I have had both, and the Mutt & Jeff record seems older.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

23 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

Great article.  Good to get some hard facts and Neil Rushton's involment in getting it played on the Nothern scene. Good photo of Charles Pennywell.

You mention that The Sunlovers "My Poor Heart" came out on Mutt and Jeff in June 1967.  It also came out on Breakthrough.  Do you know which is the first label?

I have had both, and the Mutt & Jeff record seems older.

Breakthrough as far as I am aware, both same year though. Different flips too. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Great work Chalky as always…...

I got in a conversation with Neil Rushton a couple of years back and this subject cropped up. He's got a great story all about this record and trying to deal with [ I think ], Joey Jefferson. See if you can get Neil to relay the story on here….

If I had the original 45 of this, I think I'd be too scared to play it out anyway, these things are so rare now arent they ? I really like the second version anyway ! Which is nice….  

Thanks for posting Chalky

Social source share

11 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Great article Chalky ,I guess they never got round to recording a flip side for the first take on Breakthrough.

One could say they never got around to finishing the top side, with it being such a short record, lol.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Really good read, but some what bitter sweet in a way. One night in the early 80's at clifton hall in Rotheram there was a guy who had a small batch of records for sale, all northern classics, but records that even back then you hardly ever had a sniff at. From memory he had the Jades, Little Joe Roman, Lynn Vanardo, one of the Amy- bell 45's Bernard Williams or Morris Chestnut and yes That Inspirations first Version along with a couple of other things. I Took the Lynn Vanardo. All though I did not ask myself, i'm sure someone else asked about the Inspirations 45 and  it was not an arm and a leg. Now had I took that one instead of the Vanardo 45 and kept hold of it, then maybe I could get my dodgy knee fixed with out the pathetic wait with the NHS!. Some great memories from the past, not too sure about that one.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just to correct the details of the deal I made with Neil Rushton for the Inspirations.  Its stated that I paid £120 for it, well in 1975 that was a fortune & I never ever had that amount of money then.  The deal was for an issue copy of Joe Matthews - Aint nothing you can do - Kool Kat, plus every penny I had on me that day in The Ritz which was a lot less than £120.  I then traded it with Colin Curtis at the Mecca 2 weeks later.  The only other copy I knew of at the time was the one Dave Taylor had.  I'm nor sure how many have ever beeh found, but I suspect that it is still a very Rare Record.  Thanks for the article though...............a great read. !!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!