Bobby Sheen, real or not, please help!

hrtshpdbox

Hi, long time since I've posted, hope you experts can help me here. I've listed a Something New To Do, and I've received two inquiries about it.  One person wanted to know if it could be seen through if held to the light (according to them, that's how you can spot the boot, which I hadn't known existed).  No light can be perceived when holding the record up to a bright light. The other person " On the original there are two stars on the A side. And on the boot they are on the B side." Here's my listing;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371861057374?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

As long as you're being helpful, if you wouldn't mind looking at my Ballads; I don't even know if it has been booted, but now I'm a little worried about everything:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222402507856?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Many thanks in advance, soulies!

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

41 minutes ago, NCFC said:

ALways thought the boot was very sharp around the edge.

I have a WB 7644 promo (it's by Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead), which must have come out a week or so before the Bobby Sheen, and the edges feel the same to me. Both records have the same date stamp, and the same style of writing in the deadwax. They, and others, came in a lot I got from someone who says they worked at a radio station in the 70's. But, still, the person who wrote about the stars being on the wrong side (I think that was the point they were making), they say it looks like the boot.  

Social source share

hi not sure if this will help, found this on discogs site

Bobby Sheen ‎– Something New To Do

Label:
Warner Bros. Records ‎– WB 7662

Tracklist Hide Credits

A Something New To Do
Written-By – Phillip Mitchell
2:34
B I May Not Be What You Want
Written-By – E. Shelby*, P. Mitchell*
2:25

Credits

Barcode and Other Identifiers

• Matrix / Runout (Side A matrix): QAL0078
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B matrix): QAL0077
  • Matrix / Runout (Side A runout): WB-7662 QAL-0078-DJ 1B
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B runout): WB-7662 QAL-0077-DJ 1A
  • Rights Society: BMI

Social source share

Alright, thanks for that Discogs info; when sent to the site by clicking your link, the photos match exactly what I've got, i.e. stars on the Something New to Do side, and not on the other. But the deadwax info listed above is NOT exactly as listed there in that both sides end with 1B. And it's interesting with this record that the flip has the lower matrix number, and the lower number is usually the "a" side of a record (note how discogs says that the Side A run-out ends with 1B, and the flip the reverse, which seems backwards to start.

Social source share

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty much convinced mine is genuine because:

a - most Popsike sales have the stars on Something New To Do side

b - I have another WB promo that came in the same lot I bought, and it has the same radio station date stamp, and no one in the world would ever boot that record.

c - The record can't be seen through when held up to the light, as one person suggested was the way to spot the boot, nor are the edges sharp as a Soul Source'er noted was a factor in the boot.

I think Warners went with the flip first as the a-side, then changed their mind and reversed the stars for DJ notice, then the record died without a whole lot printed. The bootleggers chose that later version label to boot.  Thanks again, folks.

Social source share

13 minutes ago, hrtshpdbox said:

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty much convinced mine is genuine because:

a - most Popsike sales have the stars on Something New To Do side

b - I have another WB promo that came in the same lot I bought, and it has the same radio station date stamp, and no one in the world would ever boot that record.

c - The record can't be seen through when held up to the light, as one person suggested was the way to spot the boot, nor are the edges sharp as a Soul Source'er noted was a factor in the boot.

I think Warners went with the flip first as the a-side, then changed their mind and reversed the stars for DJ notice, then the record died without a whole lot printed. The bootleggers chose that later version label to boot.  Thanks again, folks.

I would have thought the sharp outside edge indicates an original.  All the original vinyl W/Bros records I have seen, have a sharp outside edge. 

This only applies to the vinyl copies. The styrene copies have a dull edge.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Just now, solidsoul said:

I would have thought the sharp outside edge indicates an original. 

Well, there, I'm comparing it to another WB promo from the same year, and they feel the same.  The record is vinyl (I'm assuming that the boot is as well, otherwise no one would contend that they're hard to tell apart).

Social source share

I have been looking at my Warner bros white demo of  The Voice Box "I Want It Back Your love".

The flip side has two printed stars on the white label and the out side edge is sharp.  This is a definate original.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!