Smokey V Dusty

Soulsmith

Smokey V Dusty  

1. 1. Who has the most soulful voice?

• Smokey
    • Dusty

Following on from the recent Smokey life time 'achievement' thread I would like to put forward an alternative point of view, that he really wasn't much of a soul singer.

In fact I'd say he sings more like a 10 year old girl. If you had a soul scale with Bobby Womack at one end of the scale and a 10 year old girl at the other end, I would say that Smokey was closer to the girl than to Bobby Womack.

I'm not saying that he is without talent. Bob Dylan described him as America's greatest living poet. But that probably says more about the poor state of American literature.

I've never been overly enamored with Dusty's voice but she has a amazingly powerful delivery that at times can often sounds really soulful.

Whats It Gonna Be?

Col

ps Vote Dusty

Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

So Only Fools is crap and now Smokey sings like a girl??? :D

I worry about you sometimes Smiffy ...

Incedentally I think Dusty's sexuality was more in keeping with Smokey's wasn't it ..? :P

:)

So Only Fools is crap and now Smokey sings like a girl??? :huh:

I worry about you sometimes Smiffy ...

Incedentally I think Dusty's sexuality was more in keeping with Smokey's wasn't it ..? :D

:)

PS, SMOKEY all the way .. thumbsup.gif:ohmy::yes:

Social source share

im sorry colin but i think dancing to frank wilson has affected you

a size 1 baby shoe has more soul than dusty yes.gif

im sure with the right medication you can get better

moldie

Social source share

It looks a bit out of character for you.

Emily's school play had a war time theme and I thought she looked a picture in her 40's getup.

Cant believe results so far. The real soul fans have obviously gone to bed & will vote tomorrow.

Read em & weep dude .! wink.gif

Social source share

This is an impossible one for me, have almost everything by both artists, can't believe people can say either ain't soulful, i find it totally bemusing.

Llsten to Dusty's 'All cried out' or Smokeys 'You only build me up to tear me down' for instance, doesn't get a lot more heart wrenchingly soulfull than that imho.

Simon

Social source share

Following on from the recent Smokey life time 'achievement' thread I would like to put forward an alternative point of view, that he really wasn't much of a soul singer.

In fact I'd say he sings more like a 10 year old girl. If you had a soul scale with Bobby Womack at one end of the scale and a 10 year old girl at the other end, I would say that Smokey was closer to the girl than to Bobby Womack.

I'm not saying that he is without talent. Bob Dylan described him as America's greatest living poet. But that probably says more about the poor state of American literature.

I've never been overly enamored with Dusty's voice but she has a amazingly powerful delivery that at times can often sounds really soulful.

Whats It Gonna Be?

Col

ps Vote Dusty

I think it's far too easy to underestimate the contribution of Smokey Robinson. Is he a great soul singer? I truly believe he is. Different in style to the James Carrs and Bobby Womacks of this world, but the plaintive pleading vocal stylings on say 'More Love' or 'Way Over There' or 'The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage' are IMHO every bit as soulful in the way they portray deep emotion.

Add to the mix that he was responsible for composing some of the finest songs ever written, American or otherwise and it's a no-brainer. Truly a legend. Sometimes in the world of Rare Soul we lose sight of the obvious when we champion the obscure. Most of the multi-hundred/thousand pound records we chase after like nutters were more likely than not inspired by the work of Smokey. Most of them fail miserably to emulate the sheer erudite beauty of his best work

Dusty Springfield was a reasonably talented vocalist, but was hardly original or mould-breaking in anything she did.

Social source share

Whats It Gonna Be?

Col

ps Vote Dusty

this is a joke right ? dustys great but you cant compare her with smokey
Social source share

I think it's far too easy to underestimate the contribution of Smokey Robinson. Is he a great soul singer? I truly believe he is. Different in style to the James Carrs and Bobby Womacks of this world, but the plaintive pleading vocal stylings on say 'More Love' or 'Way Over There' or 'The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage' are IMHO every bit as soulful in the way they portray deep emotion.

Add to the mix that he was responsible for composing some of the finest songs ever written, American or otherwise and it's a no-brainer. Truly a legend. Sometimes in the world of Rare Soul we lose sight of the obvious when we champion the obscure. Most of the multi-hundred/thousand pound records we chase after like nutters were more likely than not inspired by the work of Smokey. Most of them fail miserably to emulate the sheer erudite beauty of his best work

Dusty Springfield was a reasonably talented vocalist, but was hardly original or mould-breaking in anything she did.

Great post. To the point and, imo 100% correct. TLISIYIJAM is a fantastic record. thumbsup.gif

Don't really understand the comparison being made :ohmy:

Social source share

Whats It Gonna Be?

Col

ps Vote Dusty

===========

Smokey for me I'm afraid Col. Dusty had a good voice but I'm not convinced she was naturally soulful. By that I mean she was probably asked to imitate a sound/style and whilst she could carry it off, that's what it sounded like ...... imitation.

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

i voted the smoke-meister.

i kinda agree about the voice, it's an uinusual voice, but he could still sing very well. he may not have that natural deep richness that say bobby womack has, but it's still soulful imo.

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

dusty springfield 'i only wanna be with you' is the only record my dear old grandad ever bought in his entire life, bless him - he loved it that much.

Social source share

I don't think I've ever seen such a one sided battle on this forum. Smokey is a legend in so many ways - with such a great soulful voice. I was listening to Tell Me Tomorrow on the way to work this morning - excelelnt! Even Being With You is a wonderful song

Social source share

I don't think I've ever seen such a one sided battle on this forum. Smokey is a legend in so many ways - with such a great soulful voice. I was listening to Tell Me Tomorrow on the way to work this morning - excelelnt! Even Being With You is a wonderful song

It is a one-sided battle but unfairly imo because Dusty & Smokey can't be compared as they are totally different artists, Smokey has so much more than just a great voice, he's probably the most important person there was at Motown as he had a hand in most things, Dusty is just a fantastic vocalist.

Simon

Social source share

===========

Smokey for me I'm afraid Col. Dusty had a good voice but I'm not convinced she was naturally soulful. By that I mean she was probably asked to imitate a sound/style and whilst she could carry it off, that's what it sounded like ...... imitation.

Well she didn't sing like that with the Springfields. So we agree Win. :unsure:

:unsure:

Social source share

Loved Dusty to bits, burt there's really no comparison.

If you'd compared her to Baby Washington, Jean Wells or an Irma Thomas I might have understood the question (though the results would not necessarily favour Dusty).

Smokey was one of the worlds first 'true' Soul singers and he's delivered the Soul goods for well over 30 years.

His "Who's Gonna Take The Blame" turned me onto the deeper side of Soul and some 36 years later I still use that record as a benchmark for pure class, because of its sheer, wistful, beauty.

As Steve said "The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage" is pure artistry. Also, who can failed to be moved by "Ooh Baby Baby".

Sorry, but Smokey is the most Soulful of the two by a country mile, but I'm with you all the way on the Womack reference. Bobby W is very much in a class of his own.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Loved Dusty to bits, burt there's really no comparison.

If you'd compared her to Baby Washington, Jean Wells or an Irma Thomas I might have understood the question (though the results would not necessarily favour Dusty).

Smokey was one of the worlds first 'true' Soul singers and he's delivered the Soul goods for well over 30 years.

His "Who's Gonna Take The Blame" turned me onto the deeper side of Soul and some 36 years later I still use that record as a benchmark for pure class, because of its sheer, wistful, beauty.

As Steve said "The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage" is pure artistry. Also, who can failed to be moved by "Ooh Baby Baby".

Sorry, but Smokey is the most Soulful of the two by a country mile, but I'm with you all the way on the Womack reference. Bobby W is very much in a class of his own.

Sean Hampsey

Theres a great clip in th film "Catholic boys" , where shy uncomfortable high school boys and girls from same sex schools have the annual dance. Ooh Baby Baby is playing as they stumble around.

Well, it makes me laugh. :unsure:

Social source share

Whats It Gonna Be?

Col

ps Vote Dusty

I am a big Dusty fan but would never dream of comparing her with Smokie, two totally different artists...........................but i did vote for Dusty just cos I prefer her and with my crap taste in music that certainly doesn't mean she is the most soulful :unsure:

QoFxx

Social source share

I am a big Dusty fan but would never dream of comparing her with Smokie, two totally different artists...........................but i did vote for Dusty just cos I prefer her and with my crap taste in music that certainly doesn't mean she is the most soulful :unsure:

QoFxx

Chrissie, its Smokey Robinson of Motown fame. Not Smokie who did "Living Next Door To Alice" :unsure:

No wonder you voted for Dusty :unsure:

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Bit like comparing apples with oranges. Both sweet fruit, but the taste and effect they have on you is quite different. Interesting argument though.

Both great song stylists, and one thing you can say with certainty is that whether it's Smokey or Dusty, BOTH are instantly recognisable. And in a world of same old same old bland soundalike singers, that's probably the best compliment you can give to any performer.

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

This sort of reminds me of a TV programme from many years ago where two celebrities debated the sporting merits of their erstwhile heroes with an audience vote at the end determining who was the "better" of the two sportsmen.

I recall Michael Parkinson championing George Best and some other celeb favouring Kevin Keegan.

You almost felt that all Parky had to do was to stand up and say"what the f**k am I doing here, this is a joke" comparing the god like genius of El Beatle with the talented but workmanlike Keggan - but he didn't, he manfully put the obvious case forward only to see Keegan get the nod. Parky looked rueful and I'm certain the other celeb was embarrassed at the dodgy decision, but hey that's what happens when the public votes.

So in conclusion substitute Smokey for George and do the right thing - you know it makes sense

Social source share

Why Smokey v Dusty?

It brightened up (for me anyway) a rather dull Monday night.

Although looking at the poll results so far I expect to be sulking for the next couple of days at least.

I've cheered myself up a little by playing Dustys motownesque 'Go ahead on' Its the B side to 'All I see is you' Its a cheap record but I'm told recently got a few spins covered up. Funny old game.

Social source share

I always thought that smokey has a falsetto voice ,going back to the traditions of doo-wop,which,as he started singing in the 50's he must have been heavily influenced by,as for singing in a 10 yr old girl voice,then,you might as well say that Little anthony sang with the voice of an 8 yr old,again, going back to doo-wop,or, is it that smokey is motown personified who after 50 yrs getting all the recognition he so greatly deserves at last.

motown doesn't suck

it's the main reason we're here :rolleyes:

smokey for me anyway

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I always thought that smokey has a falsetto voice ,going back to the traditions of doo-wop,which,as he started singing in the 50's he must have been heavily influenced by

By his own admisson, Smokey's original hero was his fellow Detroiter, the great Nolan Strong of the Diablos, the only man ever whose voice actually echoes Smokey's (check out the doo wop classic "The Wind" on Fortune)...

I've always wondered who Dusty drew her influence and inspiration from in the first place (I'm talking about the solo Dusty, not the Springfields-era woman). I don't think she ever actually admitted an influnce in print, but it's pretty obvious that she was totally spellbound by Inez Foxx in the first instance and Martha Reeves in the second - more so than Baby Washington, who she obviously admired, but who she didn't really sound a whole lot like (unlike Inez and Martha, who she did!)...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Smokey Robinson is for me what i consider classic soul. Tracks of my tears is such a lovely slow song. Dusty Springfield to me is more easy listning with a few soul/northern songs she has made

Social source share

Smokey Robinson is for me what i consider classic soul. Tracks of my tears is such a lovely slow song. Dusty Springfield to me is more easy listning with a few soul/northern songs she has made

A bit more than a few Soul songs imo 'Where am i going' & 'Everything's coming up Dusty' albums are full of Soul stuff, that's just two off the top of my head & there's plenty more sprinkled around on other albums & 45s.

Simon

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

'Til You Were Gone - smokey robinson and the miralces - motown

11011 refosoul

Taken from the 1995 Anthology...this was recorded from a cassette, so please excuse the air/sound!

I do love Dusty, but it's so hard! Gotta go with Smokey!

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

Whats It Gonna Be?

Col

ps Vote Dusty

Its Gonna Be Smokey - I like Dusty but no comparison IMHO

Social source share

Whats It Gonna Be?

Col

ps Vote Dusty

With the greatest respect, what a silly comparison !

Smokey IS soul , Dusty was a folk singer who went on to have some pleasant soul influenced pop hits.

There was a thread on here some time ago as to whether falsetto male singers were soulful.

Let me throw some names at you:

Eddie Kendricks

Curtis Mayfield

Russell Thomkins (Stylistics)

Ron Banks ( Dramatics)

Ted Mills (Blue Magic)

Eddie Holman

Moorer Brothers (Esquires)

Eugene Record (Chi Lites)

and so on and so on ....

and then I recommend that anyone who considers themselves a soul fan really should read Barney Hoskin's book :"Say It One More Time For the Broken Hearted" to get an insight into how the great gospel legends influenced secular male soul vocalising , particularly falsetto singing ...

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Smokey does it for me, even though I like Ms Springfield ("Breakfast in bed" off the Dusty in Memphis LP is one of my faves) but compared to "Whats so good about goodbye" "The love I saw in you was just a mirage" "Whole lotta shaking in my heart" and "Hoping the pause is helping the cause" there is no contest.

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

Smokey all the way in this house

:D in the words of "ABC"

"When Smokey sings i hear violins" and probably a few more instruments as well in fact a full orchestra :thumbsup:

mans a star and inspiration to many

Dusty ok too but nothing compared to Smoky different class.

Social source share

'Til You Were Gone - smokey robinson and the miralces - motown

11011 refosoul

Taken from the 1995 Anthology...this was recorded from a cassette, so please excuse the air/sound!

I do love Dusty, but it's so hard! Gotta go with Smokey!

That's not Smokey. Its Frank Wilson....it is the Guide vocal intended to be replaced by Smokey. It was accidently used as an unreleased track on that anthology. There could be a version with Smokey singing, but that's not it....its a nice track though and it is the Miracles on backing vocals.

I think your cassette is playing a bit slow :thumbsup:

Edited by Ringleader
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

That's not Smokey. Its Frank Wilson....it is the Guide vocal intended to be replaced by Smokey. It was accidently used as an unreleased track on that anthology. There could be a version with Smokey singing, but that's not it....its a nice track though and it is the Miracles on backing vocals.

I think your cassette is playing a bit slow :yes:

Hmmm...ok :ohmy:

Social source share

Whats It Gonna Be?

Col

ps Vote Dusty

Col great wind up topic :ohmy: You have not heard "If your mother only knew" by William?ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

If Your Mother Only Knew - smokey robinson and the miracles - motown

11156 refosoul

From the 35th Anniversary Box Set. One of their best I must add!

Social source share

• 5 months later...

Whats It Gonna Be?

Col

ps Vote Dusty

whatever....................but I wont swap my copy of "If your mother only knew" with any of your "Womack" tunes :lol: ...................................no disrespect to bobby :no:

Hey...........................Its all about personal taste........not a problem :thumbsup:

...............................Mossy :huh: Dusty Wilson is pretty good thumbsup.gif

Edited by mossy
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!