Soul News and Articles: 100 Club This Saturday all European DJ line up

Mike

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This was buried away a bit in a thread about the 100 Club in events which people won't read if they're not going.

What do people think about European DJs playing in the UK. Who are their favourites and who can they recommend from their trips abroad?

There's a current news article about it on here if you want to read my reasoning for running a 100 Club Euro-Special this Sat.

Social source share

I think its a great idea, i like these nights slightly differnt from the norm, the guest night earlyer this year has proberly been (for me) one of the best 100 clubs this year :unsure: not herd any of the DJ's lined up apart from the not very well known one representing th UK :unsure: but im sure it will be as usuall some well thought out oldies, some 'new to me', some 100 anthems, a dashing of seventys and some right low down and dirty soul thrown into the mix, and it gives our european counterparts a chance to play down in the basment.

Social source share

This was buried away a bit in a thread about the 100 Club in events which people won't read if they're not going.

What do people think about European DJs playing in the UK. Who are their favourites and who can they recommend from their trips abroad?

There's a current news article about it on here if you want to read my reasoning for running a 100 Club Euro-Special this Sat.

Hi Ady

Totally agree, when I DJ out there hear so many good sets from DJ's that should get heard more over here. Shame we clash on the same night, or we would be down, if only to hear Mark. But I do know of a fair few that are making it a big night out with a trip to us at Villa and then making the 80min trip on down to you. Have a great night.

Dave

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I :unsure::unsure: Soulful Cris.

And she plays some very VERY soulful music too :unsure:

Social source share

any of you contential types out there like to give us a brief snapshot of how things are in your homeland

styles that are popular or not popular, make up of crowd , current trends, collecting, unique features, websites, cuurent indemands, revivals, over plays and so on

sure be of interest to a fair few

Social source share

the guy from germany marc forrest did he dj at cleethorpes on the sat afternoon ? if so i thought he played some great stuff including a track called " my book" but i dont no who it was by .

Fantastic idea & long over due. Only wish I could be there...............hope somebody will do a comprehensive report & we get some play lists. If the DJ's bring some European fans over too the average age of the punters will plummet, altho the 100 Club has alway's had a slightly younger clientelle anyway.

The 100 Club leads the way agian.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Fantastic idea & long over due. Only wish I could be there...............hope somebody will do a comprehensive report & we get some play lists. Russ

Russ i'll bash together a nice indepth lookback :D

Social source share

will we have to bring our passports as well as our little yellow cards, and how will we know what tunes they are playing if they cant speak our lingo? :lol::lol::lol: Anyway ady ....haven't we got enough bloody illegal immigrants over here at the moment? How are you going to make sure they all go back? :lol::rolleyes::P:lol:

Social source share

the guy from germany marc forrest did he dj at cleethorpes on the sat afternoon ? if so i thought he played some great stuff including a track called " my book" but i dont no who it was by .

That tune could be Brice Colefield - My Book on ERA records - great early tune! Getting a few plays here and there - who knows? :rolleyes:

Social source share

any of you contential types out there like to give us a brief snapshot of how things are in your homeland

styles that are popular or not popular, make up of crowd , current trends, collecting, unique features, websites, cuurent indemands, revivals, over plays and so on

come on.... :huh:

Social source share

Hi!

I'm Eduard from Barcelona, one of the Dj' s playing at 100 Club on Saturday. Here in Spain, you've got two kind of crowds/soul weekenders: mod-R&B-northern (even with a bit of black rock and roll, doo wop thrown in) or northern-modern soul-crossover-rare groove parties, there ain't "northern soul only" parties anymore...wich i particularly think is not bad at all, as people tend to adaptate to whatever is played. We haven't a "northern room" and a "modern room", our venues are not that big ;-)

Main difference for me is that as the whole Spanish soul scene is composed of maybe 150-200 people, we know each other from a long time ago, so our soul weekenders are mostly a friends meeting: music is important, yes, but just as important as chatting about our lives or going all together to eat the local delicatessens (most of the parties are up north, in Euskadi or Asturias) and drink some fine wine or cider. So, no time for musical politics, why-did-you-play-this-or-that or things like that...We usually bring one or two "big" Djs (let's say Arthur Fenn, Butch, Terry Jones, you name it) and the rest of the Dj rooster is composed of people from here (most of them hardcore collectors with some big, rare stuff). Next soul weekender is ours (bit of self-promotion here), "Movin' On Weekender", first weekend of december, featuring Andy Davies as top Dj; i'll bring some flyers and posters to 100 Club on Saturday

Talking about popular records, i guess that's not very different to the hot stuff in UK: Hamilton Movement, Ellipsis, etc...there's not too many people playing northern oldies, matter of fact i may be playing at 100 Club some stuff i haven't played in ages...and i'll be using the mic, something that isn't too popular around here either!

Well, i hope this gives a little insight to Spanish scene

Best!

Eduard

Social source share

will we have to bring our passports as well as our little yellow cards, and how will we know what tunes they are playing if they cant speak our lingo? :P:D:D Anyway ady ....haven't we got enough bloody illegal immigrants over here at the moment? How are you going to make sure they all go back? :P:huh::thumbsup::P

Oi mate!

If you see the place where I live, you could understand why I'll back home for sure...!

Roccia from Pisa, Tuscany, Italy

P.S. Fancy a glass of red wine...?

Social source share

Guest Soulbrew

Oi mate!

If you see the place where I live, you could understand why I'll back home for sure...!

Roccia from Pisa, Tuscany, Italy

P.S. Fancy a glass of red wine...?

You said it, I thought it!

In my case my home it's Venice and we'll have people from all over the Boot!

To briefly answer mike about the websites:

- https://www.soullovers.org - the Italian equivalent to Soul-Source

- https://www.blacktrefoil.tk

- https://www.gambettolasoulcity.net

- https://www.lapellenera.com

- https://www.radiopellenera.com

- https://digilander.libero.it/soulconnection/

- https://it.geocities.com/unraggiodisoul2001/

- https://www.leaningtowersoulclub.com - coming soon

plus some others I cannot recall right now.

See you there

Marco

Edited by Soulbrew
Social source share

I think mossy's comment was tongue- in-cheek guys, but I know where you're coming from as well. the idea of trading gijon, barcelona, madrid, la coru±a, salamanca, cordoba, san sebastian, bilbao etc, for... peterborough... it doesn't even bear thinking about.

I'll be over in december with some spanish friends, but rest assured, their desire to 'take over' the country, admittedly by force, was lost at the naval battle of gravelines in 1588.

macca

pontevedra

galicia

nw spain.

Social source share

Hi!

I'm Eduard from Barcelona, one of the Dj' s playing at 100 Club on Saturday. Here in Spain, you've got two kind of crowds/soul weekenders: mod-R&B-northern (even with a bit of black rock and roll, doo wop thrown in) or northern-modern soul-crossover-rare groove parties, there ain't "northern soul only" parties anymore...wich i particularly think is not bad at all, as people tend to adaptate to whatever is played. We haven't a "northern room" and a "modern room", our venues are not that big ;-)

Main difference for me is that as the whole Spanish soul scene is composed of maybe 150-200 people, we know each other from a long time ago, so our soul weekenders are mostly a friends meeting: music is important, yes, but just as important as chatting about our lives or going all together to eat the local delicatessens (most of the parties are up north, in Euskadi or Asturias) and drink some fine wine or cider. So, no time for musical politics, why-did-you-play-this-or-that or things like that...We usually bring one or two "big" Djs (let's say Arthur Fenn, Butch, Terry Jones, you name it) and the rest of the Dj rooster is composed of people from here (most of them hardcore collectors with some big, rare stuff). Next soul weekender is ours (bit of self-promotion here), "Movin' On Weekender", first weekend of december, featuring Andy Davies as top Dj; i'll bring some flyers and posters to 100 Club on Saturday

Talking about popular records, i guess that's not very different to the hot stuff in UK: Hamilton Movement, Ellipsis, etc...there's not too many people playing northern oldies, matter of fact i may be playing at 100 Club some stuff i haven't played in ages...and i'll be using the mic, something that isn't too popular around here either!

Best!

Eduard

interesting stuff Eduard, sounds like you got a good thing going there, thanks for that :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think mossy's comment was tongue- in-cheek guys, but I know where you're coming from as well. the idea of trading gijon, barcelona, madrid, la coru±a, salamanca, cordoba, san sebastian, bilbao etc, for... peterborough... it doesn't even bear thinking about.

I'll be over in december with some spanish friends, but rest assured, their desire to 'take over' the country, admittedly by force, was lost at the naval battle of gravelines in 1588.

macca

pontevedra

galicia

nw spain.

Yes Macca, even my comment was only a joke. All my mates in England (I've got hundreds of them over there) know I'm probably one of the biggest lovers of the British style & way of life.

I've always considered Britain as my second homecountry, and If I could choose the place where I born, well, it would be England for sure.

Roccia

(Fish & chips with mushy peas topping, and snakebite & black...)

Social source share

Well, to add some info..although some may already know me...I am organizing the Hip City over here in Berlin. The Berlin Scene is made of around 50 hard core Soul Fans. The Hip City attracts normally around a 100 people and is held every second month over here in the backroom of one of the nicest pubs around, the Oscar Wilde. Since our start in 1990 we always tried to have the best DJ´s over for our guest spots (Tim Brown, Arthur Fenn, Alan Kitchener, Gary Spencer -in 1991- Butch to name just a few). Thru some hard times and good times Berlin now faces a situation where you have about at least three 6t`s /Soul events every weekend within at least one 100% Funk or Soulnight (Well, one way or the other..). Some events do attract up to 500 people. At this moment in time we have next to the Hip City two more Northern events on a regular basis (monthly) and I already heard from a mate of mine who wants to start a new monthly 6t´s R&B event...so at least from the number of events Berlin could be called "Europes main attraction 6ts and Soul-wise" :D I am very much looking forward to saturday and don`t know yet what I will be playing...some Soul me thinks :lol::yes:

Social source share

Yes Macca, even my comment was only a joke. All my mates in England (I've got hundreds of them over there) know I'm probably one of the biggest lovers of the British style & way of life.

I've always considered Britain as my second homecountry, and If I could choose the place where I born, well, it would be England for sure.

Roccia

And don't forget the gravy, can't have mushy peas, chips without gravy :yes:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Hi!

Best!

Eduard

Ooooh-you're so continental Edu!

See you tomorrow, (bring presents!) :yes:

K x

Social source share

Informative replies from Eduard and Marc that give me a better picture of Northern in Europe. I already had an inkling Roccia might like chips.

Awright mates, I'll be serious...

I'm running the Leaning Tower Soul Club in Pisa where we (me, Meni, Barbara, and Marco Moretti plus a guest) play a selection of: R&B, a few Motown tunes, a big slice of northern oldies, some x-over, and some modern as well (but nothing too extreme). In the past we have had good guest spinners from Italy, and even from abroad, such as Sean Chapman, Jo Wallace, Benji Schlamps, Steve Csordas, Molly, Shifty, Dukesy, Nancy Yahiro...

Our next event will be on Nov 25th (3rd Anniversary), with Pete Hulatt as guest...

Since last Tuesday I'm running another venue: it's the Heart of Italy Soul Club in Colle Val d'Elsa (Siena), in the middle of Chianti district. Our purpose is to join soul nites with the chance to try the superb local food & wine. As I've said we have had our first nite last Tuesday in a place called The Sonar. Residents are the usual suspects: me, Meni, and Babs, and our guest dj has been Malc Burton from Doncaster, the man behind Mexborough Corner Pocket. It has been a top nite, with a bunch of soulies eating and drinking in a typical restaurant, before the do. We had about 200 people in. Top sound has been played and everyone seems to be happy. Wait for Malc's review on this forum.

I'm usual guest as Black Trefoil soul Club in Genoa as well. the residents are Barbara, her hubby Marco "Inge", and Diego "Zanza" Allegretti. The music here is a bit more across the board when Marco spins a bit of house... But it's still my favourite club in Italy... The atmosphere there is really unbeatable, and the venue is on a cliff faced the sea... Gorgeous...!!!

I had some spots abroad as well: Cleggy International Saturday afternoon, Abshott Country Club Alldayer, Northampton Weekender, and Bitter Night in Barcelona (E) with Edu...

Other italian clubs to mention are Breakout in Milan, Wildcats in Vicenza, The Covo in Bologna where I've started to hear new sounds during the 90s, and the famous Rimini Weekender...

Hope this is enough... See ya tomo at the 100 Club...

Luciano PavaRoccia "Im A Big Man"

Edited by Roccia
Social source share

I have had the pleasure - and the privilege - this week to share the same stage and work alongside of , three of Italy's finest DJs : Roccia , Meni & the mighty Barbara Grassi , at an all - nighter in Siena .

I cannot praise enough their passion for , and the knowledge of our music . The ones who will be at The 100 Club tomorrow ( Saturday ) for the European night are in for a treat when Roccia gets behind the decks .

European DJs - especially the Italian ones I hold in high esteem - are very welcome here any time . :tumbleweed3:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Roccia

Feel much the same way about Italia, il mio amico...

TONE :tumbleweed3:

(Grana Padano con un po' d' acteo balsamico - perfetto!)

Social source share

Guest marco i

I'm usual guest as Black Trefoil soul Club in Genoa as well. the residents are Barbara, her hubby Marco "Inge", and Diego "Zanza" Allegretti. The music here is a bit more across the board when Marco spins a bit of house... But it's still my favourite club in Italy... The atmosphere there is really unbeatable, and the venue is on a cliff faced the sea... Gorgeous...!!!

House??? :tumbleweed3: I try to call it "modern room soul" not too scare to much conservative punters :thumbsup:

For more info on next Genova allnighter: https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36690

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!