Mal C

Northern soul collecting!! Is it a con?

Malcolm 

The prices for soul records are, as you say, crazy. However they reflect how much people want them. Not just DJs who have to play the top sounds on original recordings, but collectors like myself who want an original mint copy. They represent a form of investment as well as they never seem to go down in value.

Paul James. 

27 minutes ago, Bossfourpart1 said:

Paying high sums of money for records is a con !

I guess some people can afford it.....

It may seem daft in your eyes, paying a lot of dosh for a record. It may seem misguided from an investment point of view. Some people definitely can afford it and do.

How is it a 'Con' though? Nobody is being lied to, you buy what is described for the price described. As long as you get what you were expecting how is it a Con? Where is the dishonesty?

supply and demand, that's all it is

I agree with those who expect a 'bust' situation at some point in the future, all those records sat in the collections of the infirm/very old/dead 🙂will be sold off and the market won't be there like it was before

Jeanette, for example, how is that a £1000 record, weren't there loads of copies for 50p in bargain bins back in the day ??

I never bought a 45 unless I liked it so investment money wise wasn’t in my thought process just loving the sound and if Dj.ing letting other people like the sounds and the way they were put together was enough for me but different people do things for different reasons that’s what makes the world go round so everybody has loads of different reasons why they bought or buy 45,s if they like buying let them get on with it there are lots of worse hobbies and things they could do or buy.

ML

Just now, RobbK said:

During the 1960s through 1980s, the market for DooWop/Old R&B records rose steadily, as the youthful fans of that music became middle-aged, and prosperous in their work, and could afford to bid up the prices.  But, during the early 2000s, as those fans died off, or became too old to care, or needed the money for health care costs, the market prices started a precipitous fall, that has excelerated with each passing year.  Fairly rare records i saw priced in the thousands can now be bought for $100 or $200, and many that were  in the several hundreds can be bought for less than $75, or even $50.  That will also happen to Northern Soul records, eventually.

Agree 100% Robb. The UK soul records scene will go the same way as the large collections of big ticket items are dispersed. As is the nature of human life expectancy this will happen a lot and will happen in quick succession as collectors collectively reach their end days.

Obviously this doesn't constitute a 'con' though, a 'con' being a fraudulent means of obtaining money through dishonesty. People pay their money at their own discretion. Obviously you know this Robb, that last statement was directed at the general people reading the thread. :hatsoff2:

On 11/02/2019 at 10:08, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Agree 100% Robb. The UK soul records scene will go the same way as the large collections of big ticket items are dispersed. As is the nature of human life expectancy this will happen a lot and will happen in quick succession as collectors collectively reach their end days.

Obviously this doesn't constitute a 'con' though, a 'con' being a fraudulent means of obtaining money through dishonesty. People pay their money at their own discretion. Obviously you know this Robb, that last statement was directed at the general people reading the thread. :hatsoff2:

Yes.  I never meant to imply that Northern Soul high prices for rare records are in any way related to "a con job", or any kind of trickery or chicanery.  

Edited by RobbK

Anguish guilt and self loathing, good subject for soul record...

Silly thread really like allot of the rubidh we go on about on here, me included,  each to their own init... 🙂

m

Edited by Mal C

If you want a record badly enough, and you can afford it, you buy it within reason, there will always be the odd chancer but TBH, you just have to stay ahead of the game so to speak.....

On 14/02/2019 at 20:42, wilxy said:

If you want a record badly enough, and you can afford it, you buy it within reason, there will always be the odd chancer but TBH, you just have to stay ahead of the game so to speak.....

yeah agreed

Edited by shufflin

Northern Soul is a hobby. Only a fool gets conned. Buying music you like is sensible. That’s what money is for - buying what you like. Paying stupid prices for records is reckless, but sometimes necessary, but doing so for investment purposes can be foolhardy. Sure, there are conmen in the record business - I’ve certainly bought bootlegs in the belief they were original records. None of us wants to be conned or even taken advantage of, so returning to the original question, buying records and attending events is pretty straightforward if you know what you’re doing. Only the gullible end up being conned, but you wise up quickly when you realise you splashed out too much cash.

20 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Only the gullible end up being conned, but you wise up quickly when you realise you splashed out too much cash.

So true, buy within your means from decent sellers

it's a hobby, and relatively cheap (gasp) compared to some hobbies

A £300 record I've been after for ages arrived today, not cheap, not mega bucks either, but enjoyed playing it after work to friends we had round, and now it's in my box, happy days

33 minutes ago, shufflin said:

So true, buy within your means from decent sellers

it's a hobby, and relatively cheap (gasp) compared to some hobbies

A £300 record I've been after for ages arrived today, not cheap, not mega bucks either, but enjoyed playing it after work to friends we had round, and now it's in my box, happy days

Always get a buzz when a long time want arrives or you find one in a sales box. 

Steve 

21 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Northern Soul is a hobby. Only a fool gets conned. Buying music you like is sensible. That’s what money is for - buying what you like. Paying stupid prices for records is reckless, but sometimes necessary, but doing so for investment purposes can be foolhardy.

Anyone who buys northern soul records for a investment hopefully gets stung . I have never bought a record no matter how much it cost me as a investment only because of my love of the particular record.  I don't get it. Go find something else to invest in . And fcuk off away from here. Your not wanted 

Steve 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.