Sick To Death

• Replies 46
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

sick to death of all this bickering of my do is this my do is this ranting_1.gif can,t we all get together and get down to what is the important thing and thats playin great soul music and havin a fun nite out :yes: for god sakes stop actin like 5 year olds :ohmy:

Probberly not,get over it :P

sick to death of all this bickering of my do is this my do is this :unsure: can,t we all get together and get down to what is the important thing and thats playin great soul music and havin a fun nite out :unsure: for god sakes stop actin like 5 year olds :unsure:

If I knew what you were talking about it may help :lol::lol:

QoFxx

sick to death of all this bickering of my do is this my do is this :unsure: can,t we all get together and get down to what is the important thing and thats playin great soul music and havin a fun nite out :unsure: for god sakes stop actin like 5 year olds :unsure:

I am with you all the way on that one John...We all have so many other things to challenge us in life :lol: ,we want to share the weekend with freinds and listen/dance to soul music and not lurk in dark corners were the spooks are..

John, very good point mate, the thing is rise above it, we should all do what we do best and thats collect, play and enjoy the best possible music in the world, of course we all don't get on that's life but i reckon most people on here and those who no longer post are pretty sick of all the bad vibes between certain people, far better to be constructive and maybe try and work out the problems rather than use this forum as a plattform to vent their issues, the fact is the venue situation has reached overkill and there is just too much on but as ever we all choose where to go? the most important issue is to keep things soulful and in perspective because at the end of the day it's a hobby, pass time, perhaps a way of life but all in all it's about having fun an escape from all the bullshit of life, the nine to five and all the other crap we have to go about doing.

Several times recently i've thought about jacking the venue side of things in but as well as collecting, DJ'ing etc. the venue is key to our scene, dance floor driven and a joy to be a part of when it's done well, i hope recent problems will be soughted out between the different camps, i'm sure it will, but remember it's between them and perhaps others getting involved only clouds the issues rather than helps, at the end of the day the scene suffers, splits, rival camps, oldies V newies and everything else you care to through in the pot, what does matter is the long term surnival of this scene as i think no one person is bigger than the grass roots fundimental important part of it all and that's the music...without that there would not be a scene at any level.

Agenda's, personal gratifircation, profit, ego whatever count for nothing as far as i'm concerned it's again simply about the music, a deep passion for something that takes me to another place, tarnish it all you like and that matters very little to me and i know many others, it's deep, a part of us and if you don't understand that then you are on the wrong scene, and i'm not talking about style of records, era etc. i'm talking about something far deeper here.

I talk some bollocks sometimes but i trust this bollocks makes a little sense.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

John, very good point mate, the thing is rise above it, we should all do what we do best and thats collect, play and enjoy the best possible music in the world, of course we all don't get on that's life but i reckon most people on here and those who no longer post are pretty sick of all the bad vibes between certain people, far better to be constructive and maybe try and work out the problems rather than use this forum as a plattform to vent their issues, the fact is the venue situation has reached overkill and there is just too much on but as ever we all choose where to go? the most important issue is to keep things soulful and in perspective because at the end of the day it's a hobby, pass time, perhaps a way of life but all in all it's about having fun an escape from all the bullshit of life, the nine to five and all the other crap we have to go about doing.

Several times recently i've thought about jacking the venue side of things in but as well as collecting, DJ'ing etc. the venue is key to our scene, dance floor driven and a joy to be a part of when it's done well, i hope recent problems will be soughted out between the different camps, i'm sure it will, but remember it's between them and perhaps others getting involved only clouds the issues rather than helps, at the end of the day the scene suffers, splits, rival camps, oldies V newies and everything else you care to through in the pot, what does matter is the long term surnival of this scene as i think no one person is bigger than the grass roots fundimental important part of it all and that's the music...without that there would not be a scene at any level.

Agenda's, personal gratifircation, profit, ego whatever count for nothing as far as i'm concerned it's again simply about the music, a deep passion for something that takes me to another place, tarnish it all you like and that matters very little to me and i know many others, it's deep, a part of us and if you don't understand that then you are on the wrong scene, and i'm not talking about style of records, era etc. i'm talking about something far deeper here.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mate

Know how you feel, have been really looking forward to this weekend coming, but over the last few weeks have had a odd feeling, Why am I get involved with all this again. Love soul music and like you it takes me to another space and time. But I get this feeling that there are more people trying to be 'king of the hill' and ripping things apart than building. Come on all you out there lets hear some positives. Of late reading this site is often very depressing. The up side is that if everything does go tits up the music will still be there.

Dave

PS, maybe I should keep away from this site

Edited by Dave Thorley

Hi Mate

Know how you feel, have been really looking forward to this weekend coming, but over the last few weeks have had a odd feeling, Why am I get involved with all this again. Love soul music and like you it takes me to another space and time. But I get this feeling that there are more people trying to be 'king of the hill' and ripping things apart than building. Come on all you out there lets hear some positives. Of late reading this site is often very depressing. The up side is that if everything does go tits up the music will still be there.

Dave

I think a few people have done just that Dave? which is sad as we need to share this stuff not have people staying away because of the negative stuff, in time things i'm sure will work out and the scene will be on a nice even keel...good luck for Saturday.....Up The Villa!!!

Mark Bicknell.

Oh well saturday will either have me ready to take on the world monday or packing up to get out for good, classic manic :unsure:

Never stop loving the music though :unsure:

I keep popping on here between ironing all my work shirts and cloths for the weekend in Mansfield, if i don't get finished Jacqui will accuse me of being a lazy bugger...guess what i been doing most of today?????yes playing music, Dave it will always be with us mate, love it or hate it always....lol

Mark Bicknell

No, too many big words for me, but what I meant was what he was on about that sparked it off in the first place

Clearly Pete what he was refering to was the little spat between several promoters of late and maybe a general comment on the slighty nasty air that has crept into the scene in the UK over the last couple of years.

Hi Mate

Dave

==========

Agree with a lot of what you're saying Dave, just too many political parties. Look at recent posts, if you like oldies and wear spencers, someone somewhere will tell you your wrong. That your holding back the scene, that you're not progressive enough, yet the same people will baulk at the mention of modern, house etc, and God forbid anyone mentions Amy Winehouse.

The most recent one, are we a different species if we go to nighters instead of soul nights, culminating with a (tongue in cheek?) post saying nighter goers are the elite. Now maybe it's just me, but I read that sort of thing as arrogant, and as Mark B says in a later post, its about the music and enjoying yourself. So if you're a regular soul night goer, you look around and see this bollox about nighter goers, elite etc, why would you go somewhere where you're apparently looked down upon and treated as a second class citizen? To me there's too many generals and they just can't get the troops to go 'over the top'. Yeah there are records that are played too often, but don't slag them down, live along side them, advertise your venue, advertise your music policy but in a non judgemental way, we'd all get along a lot better, and more people would choose to try rarer venues on a more regular basis.

Winnie;-)

Well Dave,Mark & everybody else I`ve just got to add my tuppence worth.

Myself, wife & friends came back to this scene about 5 years ago, and not only for the love of the music/dancing but also to strike up old & new friendships & because there was hardly any back biting or falling out.

In this 5 years it seem slowly we`ve gone back to the old type Mecca/Wigan style politics & bickering (of a sorts) & it takes away part of the fun & gets under peoples skin & before long people will be avoiding venues because of it.

I love this music & the scene & would hate for that to happen, so as Dave said " Love the music" & lets just get on & ENJOY !! :D

Edited by spot

Obviously i have just been involved in one of these spats and there are no winners.There will be no king of the hills,there are no right people,there is no one who can have that much influence.Loads of shit stirrers to many nites loads of clashes,and even more on the way if you look at the calendar.At the end of the day people go were they want,how come the scooter boys dont have this trouble,and there scene is far bigger than ours.

==========

Agree with a lot of what you're saying Dave, just too many political parties. Look at recent posts, if you like oldies and wear spencers, someone somewhere will tell you your wrong. That your holding back the scene, that you're not progressive enough, yet the same people will baulk at the mention of modern, house etc, and God forbid anyone mentions Amy Winehouse.

The most recent one, are we a different species if we go to nighters instead of soul nights, culminating with a (tongue in cheek?) post saying nighter goers are the elite. Now maybe it's just me, but I read that sort of thing as arrogant, and as Mark B says in a later post, its about the music and enjoying yourself. So if you're a regular soul night goer, you look around and see this bollox about nighter goers, elite etc, why would you go somewhere where you're apparently looked down upon and treated as a second class citizen? To me there's too many generals and they just can't get the troops to go 'over the top'. Yeah there are records that are played too often, but don't slag them down, live along side them, advertise your venue, advertise your music policy but in a non judgemental way, we'd all get along a lot better, and more people would choose to try rarer venues on a more regular basis.

Winnie;-)

Hi Winnie :D

Oldies, newies, spencers bags, modern soul, hip hop, house, garage, R&B, 60's, 70's, 80's, Amy Winehouse, Wigan, Stafford, Mecca, fat blokes, thin blokes.

That should do it enough there to piss off just about everyone :yes:

Get yourselves all along saturday and you could have yourself a good time. Or you can sit at home getting more and more :D with the whole world.

Love you all :yes:

==========

Winnie;-)

Take it thats aimed at me :D

Wish people would get over it, its a forum for oppinions, got an oppinion air it, if you dont like all the discusions whats the point of being here?

, what does matter is the long term surnival of this scene as i think no one person is bigger than the grass roots fundimental important part of it all and that's the music...without that there would not be a scene at any level.

Hear Hear

Agenda's, personal gratifircation, profit, ego

All at the expense of the ordinary punters,

it's again simply about the music, a deep passion for something that takes me to another place, tarnish it all you like and that matters very little to me and i know many others, it's deep, a part of us and if you don't understand that then you are on the wrong scene, and i'm not talking about style of records, era etc. i'm talking about something far deeper here.

Yes, the fact that we care and want more out of our social lives than the Chicagos/Time and Envy/Weatherspoons circuit, so much so, that we are prepared if need be to travel as far as possible to hear the music that moves our soul

Makes an awful lot of sense to me, Mark, Delxx

Take it thats aimed at me :D

Wish people would get over it, its a forum for oppinions, got an oppinion air it, if you dont like all the discusions whats the point of being here?

===========

Wasn't aimed at you Baz, if it was I would have said take Baz for example.... :D What I was trying to point out that negative comments, such as those I highlighted fuel the political fire, doesn't matter if it's you or me thats saying it.

The reason people are worried about this spat in particular? Well they're two of the most respected nighters on the circuit, fighting in public doesn't instill confidence for the future. And if it does remain in the public eye, it will be more difficult for the two Andys to get together and sort things, it could ultimately develop into another 'us and them' situation, people being expected to choose etc etc. Much prefer to see it sorted out amicably behind the scenes, without the paying punter being involved.

Guest Phil Richards

I'm going upstairs now and play a few tunes, nothing better, matters very little to me which speaker it echoes from, nice to share in a room full of like minded people but just as good on your own.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark are we playing guess the topic, still don't know what John is on about ????

===========

Wasn't aimed at you Baz, if it was I would have said take Baz for example.... :D What I was trying to point out that negative comments, such as those I highlighted fuel the political fire, doesn't matter if it's you or me thats saying it.

The reason people are worried about this spat in particular? Well they're two of the most respected nighters on the circuit, fighting in public doesn't instill confidence for the future. And if it does remain in the public eye, it will be more difficult for the two Andys to get together and sort things, it could ultimately develop into another 'us and them' situation, people being expected to choose etc etc. Much prefer to see it sorted out amicably behind the scenes, without the paying punter being involved.

No but it was all the more 'contriversial' things i've posted about lately, if it aint me then it must be my twin :yes:

I know this spat is summin differnt, thats why im not getting involved in it, i love both lifeline and middleton, im not going to stop going to either because of some fallings out, let them get on with it im sure it will work its self out sooner or later, in the mean time its reading posts on the lifeline thread about if you wernt their ect gets me abit, because i went to middleton you feel bad for letting the lifeline guys down :yes: i've been an avid supporter of both events for some time now and that aint gonna stop just because of a falling out :D

Cant give a flying f**k whos write or wrong for going ahead with both events on the same night, it happened it wasn't nice having to choose but in the end i went where friends were going.

No but it was all the more 'contriversial' things i've posted about lately, if it aint me then it must be my twin :yes:

I know this spat is summin differnt, thats why im not getting involved in it, i love both lifeline and middleton, im not going to stop going to either because of some fallings out, let them get on with it im sure it will work its self out sooner or later, in the mean time its reading posts on the lifeline thread about if you wernt their ect gets me abit, because i went to middleton you feel bad for letting the lifeline guys down :D i've been an avid supporter of both events for some time now and that aint gonna stop just because of a falling out :D

Cant give a flying f**k whos write or wrong for going ahead with both events on the same night, it happened it wasn't nice having to choose but in the end i went where friends were going.

Its always gone on since ive been onto the scene, Baz its just then you had to wait for the monthly mags for the snide comments some tongue and cheek , with sites like this and others its constant and seems a lot worse.

Maybe envy, differant opinions, people think they can do better and all the shit that comes with it.

Sometimes i wonder what have i got my self into at the Lel.

Never started it up to go against anybody, just thought St ives needs a regular soul night . Now could be a regular nighter , Happy to work with anybody so not to clash .There is always someone underminng it tho . :D

Must be in people`s nature, it will never change but it never stopped people going (getting married having kids did) if its in the hart, it will always will be hence the great number of returnees including myself even back on the nighter trail so not to disappoint :yes: .

will be asking for recemmendations and why on a another thread soon. Be free to plug away . Love it all. :D

Edited by gibber

Its always gone on since ive been onto the scene, Baz its just then you had to wait for the monthly mags for the snide comments some tongue and cheek , with sites like this and others its constant and seems a lot worse.

Maybe envy, differant opinions, people think they can do better and all the shit that comes with it.

Sometimes i wonder what have i got my self into at the Lel.

Never started it up to go against anybody, just thought St ives needs a regular soul night . Now could be a regular nighter , Happy to work with anybody so not to clash .There is always someone underminng it tho . :(

Must be in people`s nature, it will never change but it never stopped people going (getting married having kids did) if its in the heart, it will always will be hence the great number of returnees including myself even back on the nighter trail so not to disappoint :) .

will be asking for recemmendations and why on a another thread soon. Be free to plug away . Love it all. :rolleyes:

Me too told my posts too few and always for my own purposes :lol::lol::lol::lol: my other few posts were to warn about a dodgy ebay seller before someone on here sent him $2000,another post about a total crook who had posted on here soufiere?aka kevin the c**t who ripped me off along with another lots of others and to wish steve plumb all the best for his missing yarmouth event which was running the same night as our easc event in peterborough . :P:lol:

I have no other interest in our promotion other than to provide a crossover/modern room for other like minded people to myself to hearing this type of soul without wishing to judge anyone who doesnt .

Steve

No but it was all the more 'contriversial' things i've posted about lately, if it aint me then it must be my twin :P

=============

Was giving examples of what I consider negative posts, negative because they enhance views that there are 2 scenes. Personally I don't think thats a good thing, seen it happen before, and in general it's about the politics of the scene. As you say we're all allowed to have opinions, and all allowed to voice them and everyone is free to agree or disagree, but I think there are ways of putting things over so as not to cause offence :rolleyes:

An excellent idea!........ ignorance can be bliss!. :P

I also use a similar type Forum to this, only for my other passion, my MGs....... :lol:

We get lots of owners who after many years being perfectly happy with their cars decide to log on to an 'owners forum'....... after half an hour of reading other people's car horror stories they think their own is going to blow up any minute, and they have to get rid and buy something else!!..

Now where have I heard that before??. :rolleyes:

Edited by Teapot

Obviously i have just been involved in one of these spats and there are no winners.There will be no king of the hills,there are no right people,there is no one who can have that much influence.Loads of shit stirrers to many nites loads of clashes,and even more on the way if you look at the calendar.At the end of the day people go were they want,how come the scooter boys dont have this trouble,and there scene is far bigger than ours.

Us scooter boys plan things well in advance and we all work together as best as we can as not to clash with each other.

the big events never clash but smaller ones sometimes cant be helped but it only takes a few phone calls and before you know it you have support and friends from all over working together to make everything we do the best it can be done

basically we all try and support each other. dont always work perfectly but there is no want of trying.

Working together is the only way forward IMHO :rolleyes:

==========

Winnie;-)

Ill mention her, love Rehab - new and different!

===========

Wasn't aimed at you Baz, if it was I would have said take Baz for example.... :P What I was trying to point out that negative comments, such as those I highlighted fuel the political fire, doesn't matter if it's you or me thats saying it.

here, here well said that man :rolleyes:

sick to death of all this bickering of my do is this my do is that :thumbsup: can,t we all get together and get down to what is the important thing and thats playin great soul music and havin a fun nite out :shades: for god sakes stop actin like 5 year olds :thumbsup:

Know what you mean and wish we all could but it's been happenning for decades and it will no doubt continue unfortunately till the scene is no more John.

Us scooter boys plan things well in advance and we all work together as best as we can as not to clash with each other.

the big events never clash but smaller ones sometimes cant be helped but it only takes a few phone calls and before you know it you have support and friends from all over working together to make everything we do the best it can be done

basically we all try and support each other. dont always work perfectly but there is no want of trying.

Working together is the only way forward IMHO :thumbsup:

I take it this topic has come about due to the clash at the weekend of Lifeline and Middleton?

Soultown & Lifeline and most of the other "major" promoters were working together, we had the nighter planner etc and we also had our own agreement not to clash and to run alternate monmths to each other and to work together with promotion and with the Djing.

Now when one promoter decides to change things to accomadate a bithday and expect Lifeline to move it's date what do you think was going to happen? The 28th we had arranged for over a year, long before anyone else. Middleton was ojn the 21st . Andy McCabe asked if Lifeline could move after he had swapped dates from the 21st to the 28th and he was told no at the time due to other commitments of the DJ's etc. Andy McCabe still went ahead with this, against his friends....what's the saying? "who needs enemies..... !! The situation was avoidable from the beginning. We are not the only promotion that Middleton is doing this too either!!!

What is done is done and Lifeline and we have no intention or wishes of getting embroiled in bickering on here or anywhere else but this has left a bitter taste in our mouths.

Time to move on and Lifeline will continue to promote Lifeline as we have done in the past and also to co-promote with Gingers Dusk Till Dawn promotion.

Edited by chalky

So fair enough middletons the bad guy again,im sure your last alniter clashed with winsford, dusk till dawn clashes with lea manor,your new years eve niter clashes with stoke.This not a dig just a fact,because of the amount of venues the fact that some nites are contracted to certain venues, lots of other reasons and situations sometimes mistakes bad desicions are going to happen.This isnt going to improve in the nearr future as far as i can see,look at the calendar now and not everybody is a ss member or gives a monkey about what goes on on here so eventually ther be more venues than people.

So fair enough middletons the bad guy again,im sure your last alniter clashed with winsford, dusk till dawn clashes with lea manor,your new years eve niter clashes with stoke.This not a dig just a fact,because of the amount of venues the fact that some nites are contracted to certain venues, lots of other reasons and situations sometimes mistakes bad desicions are going to happen.This isnt going to improve in the nearr future as far as i can see,look at the calendar now and not everybody is a ss member or gives a monkey about what goes on on here so eventually ther be more venues than people.

Andy it's no good trying to shift the blame, the simple fact of the matter is you are to blame. The above dates you refer to were free at the time Lifeline set it's dates, infact NO one had a nite the night I planned orginally for Lifeline. We had an agreement between ourselves which you went against. The simple facts are you changed your dates and went against your "mates". You have been one of the most vocal about working together but not only have you clashed with Lifeline you are also deleberately setting your dates against another promotion.

As for NYE Lifeline had planned all along to do this night it just needed confirming but we was asked by many if we would be running a night NYE.

Like I said we've no wish to get involved in any bickering,either in public or behind the scenes but we have no wish to be made to look the bad guys as some are trying and intending to do. I've read posts from ill informed people who don't know half what has or is going on, some don't even know anything about whats goes on behind the scenes yet feel they are in a position to speak out without having a clue about what is going on, this causes more damage IMHO. Like I also said time to move on.

Edited by chalky

You said this i said that round and round in circles.I could say your now promoteing with a goy who put 2 niters on against me last year at 2 weeks notice and cost me a fortune and off we go again.So a public apology to everyone, im now well and truly put in my place,and for good measure will not advertise anymore on hear.Fact is everyone clashes everyone has and does change their alegancies so theres no moral high ground here.The soul crowd will go were they want regardless of what goes on behind the scenes,all promoters want there nite to be the best so lets not pretend there are no stunts pulled because everyones at it.But point taken chalky i have learned a valuable lesson this weekend and its not worth falling out with your m8s.

If its cool with both party's i think the best thing to do is close the thread and move on, i enjoy both events emmensly and dont like to see both partys 'at each others necks' so to speak. think its just doing more harm than good.

Andy hope you still continue to put your threads up for middleton they are always a good build up to the event with banter ect and i always enjoy the 'lookforward' part.

Can we let this one sink to the depths of this section now :lol:

If its cool with both party's i think the best thing to do is close the thread and move on, i enjoy both events emmensly and dont like to see both partys 'at each others necks' so to speak. think its just doing more harm than good.

Andy hope you still continue to put your threads up for middleton they are always a good build up to the event with banter ect and i always enjoy the 'lookforward' part.

Can we let this one sink to the depths of this section now :lol:

LOOK LADS IF THAT HAPPEN AGAIN MY CHOICE WILL BE WHOSE EVER GOT THE SOFTEST TOILET PAPER AT THE VENU CHILL OUT ANDY'S LIFES 2 SHORT AROUND 5FT 1. BILLY