FRANK WILSON RECORD STORE DAY

Ric-tic

I was just wondering how many copies of Frank Wilsons Do I love you were pressed for record store day in 2015?. I ask simply because I have seen in the last few weeks people bidding 50 and 60 quid for that Soul bootleg copy which is nuts when I guess this would be the nearest thing to an original Soul copy so why not buy this instead unless theres millions which is why I ask. heres the one I mean....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRANK-WILSON-CHRIS-CLARK-DO-I-LOVE-YOU-INDEED-I-DO-MOTOWN-MINT-RSD-/262854553391?hash=item3d335a2f2f:g:U-UAAOSwOgdYpJoR

Social source share

People are paying silly money for this because they are SHEEP! It's such a crap record that the Tamla- Motown issue of this sold so poorly that it was worth a tenner only a few years after its release. Save your money for something decent.

Social source share

19 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

People are paying silly money for this because they are SHEEP! It's such a crap record that the Tamla- Motown issue of this sold so poorly that it was worth a tenner only a few years after its release. Save your money for something decent.

I can roughly remember when it was released - either late 80 or early 81? There was a pile on sale at Wigan for £10.00 I think.  It wasn't classed a "crap" back then. I wouldn't have minded a copy but I thought it was overpriced for what it was - a new UK release. It seemed the price was put artificially high to  me.

£10 back then is about £35 - 40 now?

Edited by maslar
typo
Social source share

30 minutes ago, IanP said:

Crap record?  

Just because it's featured on Ad's galore and stereotypes the scene a bit,   There's no denying that DILY is a terrific record,   Writing, arranging, production is pretty much perfect.    It's the reason Frank Wilson stayed as an in house arranger/writer/producer,  this recording it testiment to that !     

Berry Gordy was many things but he was no fool.Yes he wanted FW to stay as an in house writer etc. but if he thought he was gonna have a hit (make some $) DILY would have been released. It's an ok stomper but really, compared to most of the stuff Motown was putting out in the '60s it is a piss poor record.

Social source share

On 2/27/2017 at 23:12, dogsbody said:

Berry Gordy was many things but he was no fool.Yes he wanted FW to stay as an in house writer etc. but if he thought he was gonna have a hit (make some $) DILY would have been released. It's an ok stomper but really, compared to most of the stuff Motown was putting out in the '60s it is a piss poor record.

He made mistakes like all of us, as the four volumes of Cellarful of Motown testify. And Tammi Terrell's recording of Stevie's "All I do" should not have waited until the 21st century for a release. 

I love that Frank Wilson record for its raw emotion and sheer honesty. Certainly not as slick as the famous quality control was putting out in the 60s. But maybe that's exactly why it stands out.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!