Records signed by the artist..

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

The thread on Richard Popcorn Wylie got me thinking about records where the artist has signed the label. Any oddities out there?

I've got 'What about Love?' by the splendidly named Marboo where he has signed the label. Always assumed Marbooo was a group not a geezer before I found that. Think I found it in a charity shop as well (wtf?)!

There must be loads out there. What you got?

Social source share

• Replies 87
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I've got Thelma no catalogue #, ZTSC 82335 and  82336, The Distants, "Answer Me"/"Save Me From This Misery", from June, 1962.  It has the entire group's first name signatures, including Richard Street, James Weaver, Albert Harrell, Johnny, and Alphonso "Tex" Galloway.

Distants4.jpg

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

6 hours ago, chorleybloke said:

Note that the "DECCA" logo has been mis-pressed on the right hand side - is this unique?

JC.jpg

All copies of that press with "YDLMA" in very large writing are the same (they simply ran the primary blank upside down. or the secondary text depending on your point of view). Copies with "YDLMA" in normal size are all OK with Decca on left.

I don't know of any other Decca release like this, but there may be some, considering the size of their catalogue.

Nice signature - he was around on eBay about 15 years ago, sniffing out some of his old stuff.

Cheers
Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16990992_1316986055048544_1060247874_o.jpgYvonne Vernee was over here with The Elgins. At the time is was very ill. My mate Phil Aspinall took a record sleeve and she signed it to me. I had no idea! It is stuck through my letter box when I got up the next day. Sadly Phil died about 18 months ago. Much appreciated gesture from a great lad.  

Edited by Steve Foran
Add text
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Someone out there has my copy,of "how sweet it is" Jnr walker ... On the white/purple SOUL issue,. Signed by the man himself,. I had it stolen from under my nose, during the Rock City gig, early 80's. 😫😮

I also sold  a box of records which included a copy of Nate Evans, this time with feeling, signed by Curtis Mayfield (there is a link) 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, mid tempo said:

This is the one she signs in the u-tube clip. Priceless to me , thanks to Dave & Bri Pinches .post-32813-0-55725000-1398094522_thumb.jpg

Would treasure this to the end of time gaz :hatsoff2: been on the floor at horti when you played it :thumbup: so special Xx baz n shelly Xx 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
11 hours ago, stillsoulin said:

thats my old copy, got it signed at the 86 club in the midlands, rob h.

Thanks Rob - it now resides in Perth, Western Australia and gets regular spins (both sides).  Going to see Ronnie perform live in Detroit later this year.

Cheers.............Pete

Social source share

6 hours ago, chorleybloke said:

Thanks Rob - it now resides in Perth, Western Australia and gets regular spins (both sides).  Going to see Ronnie perform live in Detroit later this year.

Cheers.............Pete

glad its gone to a good home, did you get the flyer that was with it?had the club details and dates on.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
On 26/02/2017 at 18:40, stillsoulin said:

glad its gone to a good home, did you get the flyer that was with it?had the club details and dates on.

Yep the whole package Rob.  Sold a copy about 10 years ago to fund a want and as is always the case I suffered from vinyl regret.... not selling this one!

Cheers............Pete

Social source share

On 2/24/2017 at 22:55, son of stan said:

The thread on Richard Popcorn Wylie got me thinking about records where the artist has signed the label. Any oddities out there? I've got 'What about Love?' by the splendidly named Marboo where he has signed the label. Always assumed Marbooo was a group not a geezer before I found that. Think I found it in a charity shop as well (wtf?)! There must be loads out there. What you got?

"Investigate" signed by Major Lance at the Torch in 1972 :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, SWIFTY said:

Had a copy of Dee Edwards - I can deal with that - De-To , which I'd won for £30 ish off ebay , when it arrived

it was in great nick but had the name Doris written on the label , which is Dee's real name ? you never know :g::thumbsup:

Yes, Dee Edwards' birth name was Doris.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!