Records signed by the artist..

Guest son of stan

I know it's tempting to get a record label signed by the artist as it personalises it. 

But remember you are also defacing a piece of history!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• Replies 87
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Only two I have signed by an artist are Edwin Starr Time from a Torch Trentham Gardens all nighter back in 1997.

The second is the LP Darrell Banks is here with the alleged signature of the great man himself. I have got no proof and picked up the LP from Ebay about 8 -10 years ago.

Back in 1979 remember going to see the Jackson 5 in concert at Wakefield Theatre Club. At the end of the night saw the Jacksons getting on their tour bus. They all signed the tour programme I had bought and being young and stupid at the time I gave the programme to the girl I was seeing .We split up a couple of weeks later and she kept the programme 😂IMG_1022.thumb.JPG.98648c6ee57b3a5f1c5f0bb6de2199fc.JPGIMG_1024.thumb.JPG.edc0a38e587e820027df42938b3a6a33.JPGIMG_1025.thumb.JPG.06da728fe9af353c686fd72537eaf2ff.JPG

Social source share

1 hour ago, soulwolf said:

Only two I have signed by an artist are Edwin Starr Time from a Torch Trentham Gardens all nighter back in 1997.

The second is the LP Darrell Banks is here with the alleged signature of the great man himself. I have got no proof and picked up the LP from Ebay about 8 -10 years ago.

Back in 1979 remember going to see the Jackson 5 in concert at Wakefield Theatre Club. At the end of the night saw the Jacksons getting on their tour bus. They all signed the tour programme I had bought and being young and stupid at the time I gave the programme to the girl I was seeing .We split up a couple of weeks later and she kept the programme 😂IMG_1022.thumb.JPG.98648c6ee57b3a5f1c5f0bb6de2199fc.JPGIMG_1024.thumb.JPG.edc0a38e587e820027df42938b3a6a33.JPGIMG_1025.thumb.JPG.06da728fe9af353c686fd72537eaf2ff.JPG

That single word doesn't look like "Darrell" or "Darrell Banks".

Social source share

Guest son of stan
On 12/03/2017 at 13:43, daved said:

Here's another one I forgot about. CD cover though:D

Marlena Shaw.jpg

Recently picked up the same CD, also signed, in a local charity shop. :-D

Is this one of those where the *unsigned* copy is rarer? :-)

Social source share

12 hours ago, son of stan said:

Recently picked up the same CD, also signed, in a local charity shop. :-D

Is this one of those where the *unsigned* copy is rarer? :-)

Ha ha possibly. She visited Soul Brother Record shop and signed a load. Excellent CD.

Social source share

Guest randy

It could just be me  but I think getting a record label signed ruins and devalues the record.  By all means get a sleeve or photo autographed as a memento but not the record label particuly if it's personalised to Frank and Doris. Send in the soul police and make some arrests 

Each to his own but I'm actually cringing here looking at the above offending pics I may have to have a few pints of Guinness on Friday to recover

Social source share

Somewhere in Australia is my old copy of ordinary Joe. With the sleeve signed by Terry Callier. To Steve your just a Ordinary Joe lots of love . T C.

My old Cameo issue of Night Owl. Signed by Bobby Paris. To Steve one of the original Night Owls. Is also out their somewhere. Would love the record sleeves back if nothing else.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

great topic...and i,m an anorak with this .where do i start eddie parker  ,i,m gone signed and photo. best condition copy out there ,gwen owens signed and photo .her own copy. dennis edwards johnny on the spot record cover and photo.edwin starr all his uk demos inc sos demo and scotts on swingers, most martha reeves uk demos.ruby andrews just loving you photo and sleeve. willie hutch love runs out sleeve &photo and phonetics.little anthony uk demos photoand sleeve, candi staten upper hand .photo and sleeve .willie tee sleeveand photo.johnny honeycutt sleeve &photo .marvin smith uk demo sleeve.sandi sheldon okeh demo sleeve and photo....lou pride photo &record sleeve first prestatyn when i dj,d there he said he,d never seen another copy that weekend.lorraine chandler sleeve signed brenda hollowayphoto and sleeve kim weston photo and sleeveuk helpless demo and others freda payne uk demo photo sleeve signed eddie holman photo sleeve signedi,m not going on and on because i sound like a pratt ,but great topic.only thing never got any magnetics sleeves signed or photos couldn,t make the venue .bummer

Edited by stanley
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

11 hours ago, randy said:

It could just be me  but I think getting a record label signed ruins and devalues the record.  By all means get a sleeve or photo autographed as a memento but not the record label particuly if it's personalised to Frank and Doris. Send in the soul police and make some arrests 

Each to his own but I'm actually cringing here looking at the above offending pics I may have to have a few pints of Guinness on Friday to recover

I prefer to get a promo photo (original or print) signed.

Social source share

On 3/5/2017 at 23:48, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Tell that to Kenny Burrell and Frank Wilson...

If I had the money / and somehow got the record, I would take it straight to a restorer to get the writing removed. Nothing personal against Kenny, only met him once or twice, but he seemed like a nice guy :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - I may consider leaving Franks' name on it as it's already there though / not really sure on that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, LEN said:

If I had the money / and somehow got the record, I would take it straight to a restorer to get the writing removed. Nothing personal against Kenny, only met him once or twice, but he seemed like a nice guy :wink:

All the best,

P.s - I may consider leaving Franks' name on it as it's already there though / not really sure on that.

Probably seemed a good idea at the time... One can understand someone wanting a singer's autograph but it's the personal dedication that tarnishes the artifact, in this case 'Kenny'. After a short while, the record was sold despite the graffiti that rendered it scarred for life.  Now, the autogaph and dedication are part of the record's history - shame really as it was the best surviving copy and known to be iconic. This contrasts to the other records mentioned in this thread that were pressed-up in the low hundreds, signed by artists at the time and scattered around freely.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see Georgie Fame in playing Hornchurch last Friday - why not!!!
A good night - more like 'an audience with' in a small room with only 100 like minded people there. Anecdotes as good as his music. Complete with Hammond organ on stage. Had a chat with him after and even got my copy of 'Daylight' signed.

IMG_3139.JPG

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Paul Capon said:

Smoke - 'Risin' LP Picked this up on my travels in the early 90's.  It's not that Ernest & Arthur Malone are well known or anything - it's just having a signed copy of great LP. 

IMG_3163.thumb.JPG.bdc78d48b42949cd58a4e6533782463c.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

Nice one Paul. ..I'll have to put pic up of the Corey Blake you got signed by Phillip Mitchell. ..👍...that lp is like the who's who of Chicago...Bernard Reed was everywhere. .

Dave L

Social source share

1 hour ago, lfcjunkie said:

Nice one Paul. ..I'll have to put pic up of the Corey Blake you got signed by Phillip Mitchell. ..👍...that lp is like the who's who of Chicago...Bernard Reed was everywhere. .

Dave L

I got Prince Phillip to sign three or four things at the time. I'll have to look through and post them. 

Social source share

On 3/16/2017 at 11:48, LEN said:

All the best,

It'd be cheaper and easier to get it tweaked to read "Lenny" ... :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

It'd be cheaper and easier to get it tweaked to read "Lenny" ... :thumbup:

Yeh s*d it - I could do that with my Tippex Mouse. Which will be fine because it will become part of the record's history :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Most of my autographed stuff is CD booklets, but there were a couple of occasions where I got the artist to sign the label of a 45.

When I first met the current group of Hesitations,  I brought my copy of Is This TheWay to Treat a Girl with me for them to sign. Art Blakely, the only guy in the current group who sang on it, was amazed and said that he hadn't seen one in some time. Also, when I saw Dan Penn and Buzz Cason at the Rock Hall, I had 45s for them to sign. Ihad a WLP of  Robert Knight's Everlasting Love for Buzz, which blew him away as he hadn't seen one in ages, and for Dan, I brought a WLP of his Atlantic single, Nice Place to  Visit. If I could find those, I'd post pics. I can take a pic of the Hesitations single later.

Best,

Mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!