Charlotte Stokes - is this a 'real' record?

Pete S

This one is really puzzling me.  Charlotte Stokes - Is This The Price I Have To Pay - T.I.P. 100.

Is this a real record is it a Simon type thing?  Firstly, it looks like a boot, the run off gives away nothing except a poorly scratched in number.  The same track is on both sides.  The recording quality is fairly low fi.  The backing track is the same as The Flirtations - Change My Darkness Into Light.

Does anyone know anything about this one?  I think maybe someone got hold of the backing track and put new lyrics to it - but not in the 60's.

tip.jpg

Social source share

Yip....it's a "real" record.

I believe Kev Roberts got them pressed from an original master tape. (No acetate available)

off the top of my head,....300 in total made in the late '70s.

A bit "low if", but a great tune to my ears. 

I remember reading a thread about it, but I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

:hatsoff2:

Edited by LambrettaGP200
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Pete S said:

This one is really puzzling me.  Charlotte Stokes - Is This The Price I Have To Pay - T.I.P. 100.

Is this a real record is it a Simon type thing?  Firstly, it looks like a boot, the run off gives away nothing except a poorly scratched in number.  The same track is on both sides.  The recording quality is fairly low fi.  The backing track is the same as The Flirtations - Change My Darkness Into Light.

Does anyone know anything about this one?  I think maybe someone got hold of the backing track and put new lyrics to it - but not in the 60's.

tip.jpg

Social source share

Always have been told if it has 4, 5.  run off lines  to believe that's is Belgium bootleg  .manship  & brown & Koppel have the same description in the early  book

I never heard of it but Simon  did a huge number of stuff like that .there's a jay trynor  on DCP13302 it has the same format as the one in photo & that's a boot from Belguim   .

Social source share

The record was manufactured by the late Herb Abramson who owned Festival. Herb was a friend of mine who playing through acetates found this 1967 recording(different play on Change My Darkness Into Light if my memory serves correct). He made 300 copies which sadly did not sell due to the quality.

Social source share

Even if I could also imagine being a "vault" find, I always thought it to be a "made for the northern" market kind of record. The singing is quite amateurish and the vocal composition more like humming along the music... where the Flirtations RULE !

Belgium pressing !? Why ? It doesn't look at all like a Belgium, Holland or even French pressing thing. Seems more to come from the same batch/pressing plant as the Lillie Bryant and such ugly bootlegs...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 21:35, Goldsoul said:

The record was manufactured by the late Herb Abramson who owned Festival. Herb was a friend of mine who playing through acetates found this 1967 recording(different play on Change My Darkness Into Light if my memory serves correct). He made 300 copies which sadly did not sell due to the quality.

Hi Kev seem to remember you having these at record haven along with the Blue jays " point of view"  jay  and bobby moore  "carefully check my heart " kay ,o

regards Steve

Social source share

15 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

wasn't there also a ken Williams  title at the same time if memory serves me correctly ?:)

17 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

Hi Kev seem to remember you having these at record haven along with the Blue jays " point of view"  jay  and bobby moore  "carefully check my heart " kay ,o

regards Steve

Blooming heck what a memory.  I had a few copies of the Blue Jays.  Retailed them at £6 each 😀

Social source share

On 26/02/2017 at 11:55, tlscapital said:

Even if I could also imagine being a "vault" find, I always thought it to be a "made for the northern" market kind of record. The singing is quite amateurish and the vocal composition more like humming along the music... where the Flirtations RULE !

Belgium pressing !? Why ? It doesn't look at all like a Belgium, Holland or even French pressing thing. Seems more to come from the same batch/pressing plant as the Lillie Bryant and such ugly bootlegs...

I'm sure you realise this is a different Flirtations to the main one? It wasn't made for the Northern scene. Stokes was a member of the Josie group and sang this guide vocal before they went with 'Darkness Into Light' 

It was simply a demo aand not good quality with equally poor sales as a Ltd release in the 70's. Hasn't stopped it growing in value Year on Year though. 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

I'm sure you realise this is a different Flirtations to the main one? It wasn't made for the Northern scene. Stokes was a member of the Josie group and sang this guide vocal before they went with 'Darkness Into Light' 

It was simply a demo aand not good quality with equally poor sales as a Ltd release in the 70's. Hasn't stopped it growing in value Year on Year though. 

I'd never heard of it, or even heard it until last week!

Social source share

39 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

There's only one female Flirtations group ie previously the Gypsies and Charlotte stokes wasn't a member. 

The strange thing about this 45 is the new york address not the same as the Festival label as you would expect but the Ed Sullivan theatre

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

OK and thanks for clarifying. I believe you but I'd guess it's more a demo cut then (before a chosen artist tries it for size). Not a cut planned for issue.

The copy I had was given to me 30 years ago. It was part of a "give away lot" from a mod collection to a young soul beginner when 'northern soul' was out on the Brussel mod front in the mid eighties...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, randy said:

There's only one female Flirtations group ie previously the Gypsies and Charlotte stokes wasn't a member. 

The strange thing about this 45 is the new york address not the same as the Festival label as you would expect but the Ed Sullivan theatre

How does that work? The Flirtations feat Charlotte Stokes cut Stronger Than Her Love. They are not the same outfit who recorded for Deram and formerly as The Gypsies. 

Edited by Goldsoul
Social source share

2 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

How does that work? The Flirtations feat Charlotte Stokes cut Stronger Than Her Love. They are not the same outfit who recorded for Deram and formerly as The Gypsies. 

Where have you got featuring The Flirtations feat Charlotte Stokes from?

So JJ Jacklson and Sydney Barnes who wrote and produced most of The Gypsies records on Old Town who then changed their name to the Flirtations but JJ Jacklson and Sydney Barnes starting writing songs for another group who just happen to be be called the Flirtations that makes a lot sense doesn't it  

Social source share

That's exactly what happened. The Flirtations on Festival produced by Barnes and Jackson are not the same group that the very same writer/producers worked with as in the Gypsies, later the Flirtations.  Totally different groups. 

If you get chance to speak with any of the Flirtations(as in from 1968) on Facebook, they will tell you Stronger Than Her Love on Festival is nothing to do with them. 

Edited by Goldsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!