VALERIE SIMPSON RECORD - Knowledge required

Guest JackieD

Guest JackieD

Found the attached in my box of records but can't find anything about it wondered if anyone could give me a bit of  info. cheers

VALERIE SIMPSON - I JUST WANNA BE THERE / SINNER MAN on TAMLA

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

Social source share

Really dont see the reason why anyone should get hung up about it's Authenticity as a release by Valerie Simpson. It's a piss poor version compared to the others like Ed Robinson. Really do wish people on here would spend more time thinking about the value of the music as a black american artform than it's authenticity as a piece of plastic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, still diggin said:

Really dont see the reason why anyone should get hung up about it's Authenticity as a release by Valerie Simpson. It's a piss poor version compared to the others like Ed Robinson. Really do wish people on here would spend more time thinking about the value of the music as a black american artform than it's authenticity as a piece of plastic.

It's true that Ed Robinson is great and an old, long favorite of mine also. While this "pop" version of Valerie is rather ridiculous on it's own. Still the original quest is legit IMO and even though the fast answers brought the said record to where it belongs; in the bootleg category, now all is said and heard about it I believe.

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

7 hours ago, still diggin said:

You're being a bit harsh , aren't you ?  I don't really think anyone is getting hung up about it. The original post was just an innocent request for some info on the record. And one of the great things about Soul Source is that we can have discussion on soul music as an art form as well as discussion on the authenticity of  records!

In any event , both sides are LP only and I would have thought that the focus of comments would have been more on the Sinner Man side which is probably the best uptempo dancer of her Tamla output and one that no doubt many DJs and collectors would like to see on a  legit 7" release.

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

You're being a bit harsh , aren't you ?  I don't really think anyone is getting hung up about it. The original post was just an innocent request for some info on the record. And one of the great things about Soul Source is that we can have discussion on soul music as an art form as well as discussion on the authenticity of  records!

In any event , both sides are LP only and I would have thought that the focus of comments would have been more on the Sinner Man side which is probably the best uptempo dancer of her Tamla output and one that no doubt many DJs and collectors would like to see on a  legit 7" release.

I'm affraid I dont think i'm being a bit harsh. Both tracks sound nothing more than throw away LP tracks to me.  So what on earth is so special about 'Sinner man' ? Some could make a case for it's thought provoking lyrics, trouble is there's not enough of them and it's all a bit vague. If that track is her best dancer then it is plain to see why her reputation as a song writer far out ways her reputation as a performing single artist. This is poles apart from her best work.My point is who ever decided to boot this obviosly thought they would score, unfortunatly it's an own goal imo.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!