Message to sellers on here

Over the past week had a couple of complaints from buyers who have agreed to buy records on the basis that a Paypal payment will be made later in the day, only to find that sellers have in the meantime sold the records to a different buyer.

Once such a deal has been reached it seems unreasonable to go back on what was agreed unless of course payment is not made as promised.

Two very disappointed members on here and two sellers who no doubt have lost future custom.

ROD [Moderator]

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Yeah, but it goes the other way around as well.

Few days ago i had a guy who wanted to buy a record, we agreed on payment on Friday, on Friday he delayed for 2 more days and then he just told me he doesn´t have the money. (i´m almost certain he won one on ebay, as he got in touch 20 min after auction with a story that he wasn´t paid for something so he can´t pay me, never even asking me if i can hold a record for him or something)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I also give people (a lot) time to pay. Few days ago i finished a deal which was dragging for 3 months!!

I said that buyers break the deal as well.

For me it´s ok if he asks that i hold the record for him, but it´s not cool when he says that he will not take it in the end, whatever reason is - he found a copy on ebay etc.

It´s especially not cool when he doesn´t show up clean, saying what the reason was...  instead giving some blatant explanation. Not that i would be especially happy anyway, but i would understand.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I started selling up last year, wee lists of 10 or so records every few weeks on here and Facebook, and while I was (and continue to be) amazed at how civilised buying and selling has become these days, I eventually took to inserting a little list of T&C's at the end of every sales post I put up.  I used to feel a bit daft about it at first, just being a geezer selling off his collection rather than being a 'dealer' as such, but it really does make sense not to leave anything to chance, not to assume a buyer will let me know that he won't have the dosh for a week, or that the sale is dependent on him making sales, or that he can only pay by cheque, etc...

Social source share

I had a reply to a want with seller saying think it is mint in which case want £XXX OVNO, I replied to say ok if mint I will pay £xxx incl p&p. I had no reply evne after a follow up pm....   maybe seller thought he could get more elsewhere which is fine but a response would be nice.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Pete S said:

This afternoon I advertised a Seven Souls for cash or trade...cash price was £380...after half an hour nothing happened, then someone said they'd buy it, I said ok.  Five minutes later someone on facebook offered me £600 in trades which I would have snatched his arm off for.  But I'd already said yes to the sale so had to say no to the trade.  Some people will do this, some won't, that's when you decide who is worth buying from.

good man

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest randy

There is a major problem on here with members ordering records and not paying for them.

Some members simply order records and just don't simply sign back onto the site for days weeks some times months. Excuse is" I've been busy"

90% of members who contact you and enquire "Do You Still Have This Record" never purchase some even come back and say "well if its unsold will you do it for half price"

By far The favorite excuses for not completing a sale are and I am not kidding  is "my Wife Has just bough me one" or I've already got this just found it in my collection"

Then you get some members who agree to purchase a record and then start adding more records to the deal and you give some deal discount etc and then change their mind don't even purchase the original record they ordered

I could go on and on 

Social source share

Only had good deals over the years here on Soul Source ... until recently

... a trade turned sour as record was worse than stated

... I reserved a record in mid february and was promised payment end of feb. buyer went awol after that. didn't even log on since

... another member asked for a record off my list. put it on hold for him. after a reminder he told he's not interested in it any longer

shall i leave neg feedback or not?

Social source share

Mainly possitive experiences both buying and selling on here, just the odd blip, like the time i  once replied instantly to a record for sale for £200...no reply...a month later same seller puts same record back up for sale for £300? 

Social source share

Hard one, these days I think life's too short, another member on here really attacked some chap on the feedback, he shall be nameless, we have all done it, there is life outside SS, and sometimes folk just plain forget...

but actually selling a 45 while it's essentially on hold till the night, that's just not in the spirit of soul source... 

all this said there is a whole new army of sellers on the market, and I've found some of them to be right crooks.... 

buy and sell to people you know...The rest,  put it  down to experience

m

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 02/03/2017 at 09:41, randy said:

90% of members who contact you and enquire "Do You Still Have This Record" never purchase some even come back and say "well if its unsold will you do it for half price"

Well, you cant really pin that particular point on the buyer. 

Social source share

Guest randy
8 minutes ago, JNixon said:

Well, you cant really pin that particular point on the buyer. 

Why do some members enquire about records if they have no intention of buying?. Wishy washy contact not really committing to buy but enough interest for you to reserve the record send payment details etc and then wait and wait and then chase up and eventually give up life realy is too short to be dealing some members on here

It puts the seller in a difficult situation if he does reply it looks rude or reserve a record and potentially loose a sale to genuine customer

Social source share

The one that gets on my nerves most - if I do a larger list, someone will ask if I've got three records, I reply that I sold one but I still have the other two, and you can guarantee that their reply will be - oh that was the only one I really wanted, I'll cancel the other two - well why order them in the first place?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have always paid for records the day the deal is agreed (usually within the hour) either paypal or bank transfer. I usually ask the seller for +feedback and only sometimes get it.  It may be a pain for sellers that do a lot of business, but then by leaving feedback (both + & - as appropriate) they could help themselves and other sellers by knowing who the better buyers are.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

10 minutes ago, randy said:

Why do some members enquire about records if they have no intention of buying?. Wishy washy contact not really committing to buy but enough interest for you to reserve the record send payment details etc and then wait and wait and then chase up and eventually give up life realy is too short to be dealing some members on here

It puts the seller in a difficult situation if he does reply it looks rude or reserve a record and potentially loose a sale to genuine customer

Its part of selling tunes. An annoying part but thats they way it is.

No point bleating just work out who is serious and who isn't. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Slightly off topic but relevant to the good sellers on here , I don't buy many records these days but searched on here for one using the search feature, up it came at a price I liked I pm'd the seller only to realise when I went back to the list the post was three years old, pm'd seller apologising for being a prize humpty thought nothing more of it, three weeks later got pm off the seller saying he still had the record if I wanted it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 19:09, Mal C said:

Hard one, these days I think life's too short, another member on here really attacked some chap on the feedback, he shall be nameless, we have all done it, there is life outside SS, and sometimes folk just plain forget...

but actually selling a 45 while it's essentially on hold till the night, that's just not in the spirit of soul source... 

all this said there is a whole new army of sellers on the market, and I've found some of them to be right crooks.... 

buy and sell to people you know...The rest,  put it  down to experience

m

That's what feedback is for, don't you know? To warn people about timewasters and piss-takers. Should be a feedback category for people who want to pay £80 for a record going for £200 because that's what they sold it to you for 2 years before.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, JNixon said:

Its part of selling tunes. An annoying part but thats they way it is.

No point bleating just work out who is serious and who isn't. 

Yes but unless you know the individual you cannot ascertain if they are serious or not. I have no problem with people getting cold feet but it's the ones who can't be arsed replying, even just to say it's too high a price - time wasters and tyre kickers are duly noted for future reference 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If two people get in touch wanting to reserve a record, I tell the second person I'll get back to them if the sale falls through. And if only ONE person gets in touch and the sale falls through, maybe there's a reason only one person got in touch... maybe the record was too expensive? Which is why the sale fell through... Just my experience on here, which has usually been excellent.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!