I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Drew3

Tonight a guy in my local tried to tell me that Marvin Gaye's hit record had been done before!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

He reckons that it was done earlier by a female group and thinks it was by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said bollocks but one thing I have learned since being a member of this site is 'don't count your soul chickens' as it were.

Please tell me it's not so, as the guy concened is affectionately known as 'thrush' with good reason!!! :P

KTF

Drew.

P.S.

Can someone advise on how I print the answer without printing every post etc, as I had a pint on this. :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Tonight a guy in my local tried to tell me that Marvin Gaye's hit record had been done before!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

He reckons that it was done earlier by a female group and thinks it was by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said bollocks but one thing I have learned since being a member of this site is 'don't count your soul chickens' as it were.

Please tell me it's not so, as the guy concened is affectionately known as 'thrush' with good reason!!! :P

KTF

Drew.

P.S.

Can someone advise on how I print the answer without printing every post etc, as I had a pint on this. :lol:

Sure Gladys Knights version was before Marvins

Edited by Adam G
Social source share

Guest soul_hull

smokey's version is on soulclub.org.

marvin's version was actually recorded first, but motown didn't wanna release it - so gladys knight did - it got to number two in US, so marvin's got released...

see link here...

Social source share

Yes. and there's a version by Smokey on a MFP L.P. too, don't know when exactly it was recorded, but it's crap.

I think Smokey's version is quite Northern. The intro is brilliant. Marvin did record it first, but Martha's version, which isn't a patch on Marvin's, was released first.

As with many other Motown records, how big would this have been on the scene if it had just been discovered?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Marvin was the 6th person to record IHITTG, according to the interview with him on the Motown 10th anniversarry box set.

The story goes that one version was almost ready for release but Berry Gordy still wasnt convinced. As Marvin had been helping out playing the drums on a few of the other artists recordings he was asked to give the song a go.

I dont care if it is the version everyone knows. I think it is just about perfection, and prefer Marvin's version by a mile to every other version I've heard.

Here is the Wikedwatsit link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Heard_It_Th...h_the_Grapevine

its a different story to the version I quoted at the top.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

KTF

Drew.

P.S.

Gladys Knight and the pips had the original release in '67

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Lets face it Kirsty, if Paul Weller sang the latest reasons for unleashing a Jihad against the British people, you'd enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks a lot folks!!

I now owe the irritating git a pint!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :thumbsup:

KTF.

Drew.

...Actually, Drew, it's documented in several places - none of which I can point you to without further research, I'm afraid - that Smokey and the Miracles recorded "Grapevine" first, sometime in 1966. Marvin allegedly recorded it next, then Gladys (whose version was released first), then the Tempts, then Smokey re-voiced the Miracles' original backing track for the version on the - from memory - "Doggone Right" album...

If I can turn up something that you can refer to, I'll let you know.

Best,

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

...Actually, Drew, it's documented in several places - none of which I can point you to without further research, I'm afraid - that Smokey and the Miracles recorded "Grapevine" first, sometime in 1966. Marvin allegedly recorded it next, then Gladys (whose version was released first), then the Tempts, then Smokey re-voiced the Miracles' original backing track for the version on the - from memory - "Doggone Right" album...

If I can turn up something that you can refer to, I'll let you know.

Best,

TONE :thumbsup:

Did Stan Collymore,do Doggone Right on Cannock Chase :thumbsup:

Kev.

Social source share

Lets face it Kirsty, if Paul Weller sang the latest reasons for unleashing a Jihad against the British people, you'd enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Actually Mikey, I think you're confusing me with lots of other women of a certain age.

I never said anywhere in my post that I thought this version was any good - and I have NEVER made any post as to Paul Weller being any good. Unlike many it would seem, I don't hail Paul Weller as any kind of god, sex or otherwise :thumbsup::shades: But Marvin gaye, well thats another story :ohmy:

I happened to have the radio on whilst driving my children home from a shopping trip on Sunday when I caught the tail end of said song. I was listening thinking, jeez I recognise them voices I wonder who it is. Presenter said "and that was P.W and A.W from the electric proms"

Have nothing else to say on this matter, except for - consider yourself bollocked Michael

Social source share

Actually Mikey, I think you're confusing me with lots of other women of a certain age.

...........Snip..........

Have nothing else to say on this matter, except for - consider yourself bollocked Michael

============

Mikey got told off, Mikey got told off :thumbsup::thumbsup: Notice Mikey, it went from Mikey in the first line to Michael in the last.............

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Did Stan Collymore,do Doggone Right on Cannock Chase :thumbsup:

Kev.

No, I believe that was his version of Jackie Wilson's "Doggin' Around" :thumbsup::shades::ohmy:

TONE

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

============

Mikey got told off, Mikey got told off :shades::ohmy: Notice Mikey, it went from Mikey in the first line to Michael in the last.............

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thats when I knew I was in real trouble Win.

Sorry Kirsty, I probably got you mixed up with a few others, as you say.

I'll buy you a drink next time we are at a do together.

Chastened Mikey or Michael.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

someone has failed to mention Bobby Taylor cut it aswell. found on his anthology but Smokey Robinson and Miracles do the best version which is more Northern.

This song was voted as the greatest Motown song ever by a poll on Radio 2 not so long ago had to be Marvin Gaye's version.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

someone has failed to mention Bobby Taylor cut it aswell. found on his anthology but Smokey Robinson and Miracles do the best version which is more Northern.

This song was voted as the greatest Motown song ever by a poll on Radio 2 not so long ago had to be Marvin Gaye's version.

Hello folks! I am the Maverick and here in the US, I specialize in Motown, Northern/Modern Soul, and Classic Reggae/Soca! I have been roaming thru here for months now and decided to join! :tumbleweed3:

I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE has been covered by many on Motown:

Gladys Knight and the Pips

Everybody Needs Love (most recently remixed for the 2005 Motown Remixed CD by The Randy Watson Experience)

Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers

Self-Titled

Marvin Gaye

I Heard It Thru the Grapevine/In The Groove

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

Special Occasion

The Temptations

Cloud Nine

The Supremes

Cruisin 1968

Rare Earth

Grand Slam

Barrett Strong

In Their Own Words Vol. 1

The Undisputed Truth

Milestones: The Best of Undisputed Truth

Frankie Gaye

Very Best of Frankie Gaye

Gladys Knight and Marvin Gaye

Marvin Gaye's The Master Box Set

Ben Harper

Standing in the Shadows: Deluxe Edition

Michael McDonald

Motown

Edwin Starr

Live-25 Miles from Home

2004 (Reissue)

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

Heatwave

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I Heard It Through the Grapevine - gladys knight and marvin gaye - motown

10994 refosoul

This clip is on Marvin's THE MASTER 1961-1984...it was recorded live.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!