Life After Motown Top Tracks?

Guest johnny hart

Guest johnny hart

"You'll Never Work again"!, was the "alleged" mantra of  Berry jnr. Happily All did, my current post Motown artiste plays are;

Contours= "Gonna Win You Back" (motor city 1992, Thanks to the musical genius of Blackpool's Chosen One Ian Levine! Possibly according to Geoff , Sylvester Potts on lead but after 30 plus members since Motown in 1968 who Knows?

Originals=" Temporarily Out of Order"(fantasy 1978)

What's Your Fave ? LOL Johnny , Malaga, Costa del Soul ,Espana.

Social source share

The Four Tops, "I just can't get you out of my mind", "Feel free" and much else of their ABC output

Marvin Gaye, "Joy"

Chuck Jackson, "All over the world" (another of Mr Levine's classics)

Leon Ware, too many to mention but will single out whole "Undercover" album as it is unfairly neglected and strong throughout

Ruffin and Kendrick, "One more for the lonely hearts club"

Mary Wells, "If you can't give her love give her up"

Gladys Knight and the Pips, "Landlord"

Kiki Dee, "Nothing can stop us now"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kim Weston - "You're Just The Kind of Guy" - MGM

Mary Wells - "Me Without You", "Why Don't You Let Yourself Go", "Everlovin' Boy"- 20th Century Fox, -"Dear Lover", "Such A Sweet Thing" - ATCO

Four Tops - "Ain't No Woman Like The One I Got" - Dunhill

J.J. Barnes - "Baby Please Come Back Home", "Sweet Sherry", - Groovesville, "Our Love Is In The Pocket" - Revilot

Parliaments - "That Was My Girl", "Heart Trouble" - Golden World -"Don't Be Sore At Me", "I Can Feel The Ice Melting" - Revilot

Spinners - "I'll Be Around", "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" - Atlantic

Steve Mancha (Clyde Wilson while with Motown) - "Don't make me a Story Teller" - Groovesville

Tony Hester - "Just Can't Leave You" - Giant

Herman Griffin - "Mr. Heartbreak" - Double-L, "Dream Girl" - Mercury

Satintones (2nd Group) - "I'm The Playboy" - SonBert (as Pyramids)

Timothy Wilson (of Serenaders) - "Just another Guy (on a String)", "Pigtails" - Buddah

Henry Lumpkin - "I'm A Walkin' For J.F.K. - Fairmount

Patrice Holloway - "Ecstasy", "Love and Desire" - Capitol

Brenda Holloway - "Let Love Grow" - Music Merchant

Flo Ballard - "Love Ain't Love" - ABC

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Hiya, one I bought a little while ago off a good seller on here, pat Wallace-  Martha reeves- thank you/ for the rest of my life on arista. Think  rest of my life was originally the A side, lovely  tune and thank you is pure Motown. Even the intro is stolen from baby love, great record though.  Cheers

Social source share

2 hours ago, daved said:

Mary Wells - Use Your Head

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall LP

Edwin Starr - Contact

Lamont Dozier - You Ought To Be In Pictures

Teena Marie - I'm Still In Love 

I was thinking of that Michael Jackson LP; also the Jacksons Philly albums and various tracks from the Destiny and Triumph albums

Teena Marie, "Just us two" - Robbie Vincent used to hammer this in his Kiss FM days

Lamont Dozier, "Wild frame of mind" - really atmospheric, especially with Jones Girls backing :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!