Save My Love For A Rainy Day

what version do you prefer -- save my love for a rainy day

THE VAN DYKES

THE TEMPTATIONS

MARV JOHNSON

UNDISPUTED TRUTH

I know the van dykes came out on mala but i think marv johnsons version just edges it for me with his vocals and intro on this version. does anyone know who might have recorded this track first.

Edited by hitsville chalky
Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

THE VAN DYKES

THE TEMPTATIONS

MARV JOHNSON

UNDISPUTED TRUTH

I know the van dykes came out on mala but i think marv johnsons version just edges it for me with his vocals and intro on this version. does anyone know who might have recorded this track first.

Hi ,,just an observation.........3 that you have listed recorded for Mr Gordy... biggrin.gif ATB Steve

P.S. the Mala release was December 1967....

Social source share

THE VAN DYKES

THE TEMPTATIONS

MARV JOHNSON

UNDISPUTED TRUTH

AND Undisputed Truth released a version in 1971......ATB steve
Social source share

Sorry,can't answer that question until the appropriate moment :yes:

:D

Sorry,can't answer that question until the appropriate moment :lol:

Sorry,can't answer that question until the appropriate moment :D

Sorry,can't answer that question until the appropriate moment :D

Social source share

Van Dykes.

I'll never forget one night dancing near the stage at Wigan perhaps early 74. The Van Dykes hit the decks followed by The Tomangoes and then Morris Chestnut. It was one of those sublime allnighter moments that just seem to stick in your head forever.

I nearly danced myself into orbit.

Col

Social source share

THE VAN DYKES

THE TEMPTATIONS

MARV JOHNSON

UNDISPUTED TRUTH

deffo the temps :yes:

also 67 i believe,

so which was first?

Social source share

Vocally I think that both are a bit sceechy and nothing special but the musical arrangements makes both excellent records, with the arrangment on The Van Dykes edging it for me over the Marv Johnson version.

Anyone able to upload the Temps version?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

THE VAN DYKES

THE TEMPTATIONS

MARV JOHNSON

UNDISPUTED TRUTH

=============

Van Dykes for me :tumbleweed3:

Social source share

THE VAN DYKES

THE TEMPTATIONS

MARV JOHNSON

UNDISPUTED TRUTH

Can someone please tell me what the Marv Johnson version came out on? Is it an unissued track? It's certainly not on his only Motown l.p......

Social source share

I think it's first issue was on 'A Cellarful Of Motown' Vol 1.

Havving listened to them all again, The Van Dykes obviously has a more ugent dancing qualilty ..and the voice doesn't sound so bad. I wonder if my memory of 'that' voice has been coloured by the terrible Van Dykes album I had and the 45 'I'm So Happy' where the lead goes VERY over the top !

But I still like Marv's version better, but then I really like Marv Johnson's voice a lot. Eddie and the boys is nice too.

Social source share

But I must say that the Van Dykes on this one is smokin'!
Love your site Maverick! Glad to see you're keeping the Soul alive in the USA!

Ditto, Brilliant site, just noticed that you joined Soul Source yesterday, Welcome 'The Maverick'

It's Certainly one of the best things that I've ever done, joining Soul Source.

Keeping the Soul alive in the USA! & Worldwide - Thanks to the Internet.

The Soul Music that we all Enjoy, has been in safe hands here in the UK for many years via the various Northern / Rare Soul Scenes, etc

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

THE VAN DYKES

THE TEMPTATIONS

MARV JOHNSON

UNDISPUTED TRUTH

Gotta say The Van Dykes but its a difficult call as the versions by Marv Johnson and the Temptations are sooo good.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Ditto, Brilliant site, just noticed that you joined Soul Source yesterday, Welcome 'The Maverick'

It's Certainly one of the best things that I've ever done, joining Soul Source.

Keeping the Soul alive in the USA! & Worldwide - Thanks to the Internet.

The Soul Music that we all Enjoy, has been in safe hands here in the UK for many years via the various Northern / Rare Soul Scenes, etc

I am glad you all enjoy my site! Thanks very much for welcoming me! I have "lurked" around here long enough and decided to join and I am glad I did!

Yes I noticed that and the funny thing is I have been a collector of rare soul for most of my life and had no idea that there were many like me that enjoy this music!

Now the only thing I must experience is these groovy events! :thumbsup:

Social source share

THE VAN DYKES

THE TEMPTATIONS

MARV JOHNSON

UNDISPUTED TRUTH

It would seem The Temps version is earlier than Marv Johnson. The Temps album "With a lot of soul" was released in July 1967 and Marv recorded his version in October 1967.

I love all the versions...the Temps has the best vocals, but the Van Dykes has the best backing track......one of my favourite northern soul intros....a classic!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!