SOUL SOURCE RECORD CLUB 2017 (I FEEL SO GOOD, I WANNA JUMP BACK)

dthedrug

1 hour ago, hullsoul said:

Rick

As The Mecca & Cleggy are often mention in the same breath,was there tunes first played at Cleggy that became biggies at The Mecca or was it all one way from Blackpool to Cleethorpes?

Cheers

Martyn

I think it was just a case of the DJs taste at that time, Colin and Ian were playing much the same New and Obscure New releases as we were at Cleethorpes And mixing it up with the the currant big 60s sounds, We all seemed to be on the same wave length music wise and i suspect that is why Cleethorpes And The Mecca musically was held in such high regard,(we played off each other) A lot of other venues frowned upon this and stayed staunchly 60s (but most relented in the end) due  to pressure from people asking for certain record being played elsewhere. Great soul Music is Great Soul Music which ever way you look at it.

Cheers

Rick

• Helpful 2
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Not strictly record club but following the thread, some superb footage here of Cleethorpes back in the day

Chris,That is such a rare film clip which i do remember, the guy filming was up on the stage with a 35mm camera with a bright light on front (of course no sound in those days hense the dubbed on sound) for years we wondered what happened to this footage until it finally did appear on line eventually.

It was filmed during a dance competition at what i believe was one of the anniversaries.

For those wanting to spot who was who on the stage area I was the long haired Chappy at 48/50 secs.

Mary Chapman Fore front with Husband Colin just behind her At 51/52 secs.

Dick Jervis at the Decks with Rick Todd just behind him at 53/54 secs  

Edited by RICK SCOTT
word missed out
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

That is such a rare film clip which i do remember, the guy filming was up on the stage with a 35mm camera with a bright light on front (of course no sound in those days hense the dubbed on sound) for years we wondered what happened to this footage until it finally did appear on line eventually.

It was filmed during a dance competition at what i believe was one of the anniversaries.

For those wanting to spot who was who on the stage area I was the long haired Chappy at 48/50 secs.

Mary Chapman Fore front with Husband Colin just behind her At 51/52 secs.

Dick Jervis at the Decks with Rick Todd just behind him at 53/54 secs  

Sorry Rick, meant to say presumably you would remember this - really interesting to see you on there

Social source share

On 2017-6-3 at 17:08, Patto said:

Here you go 27.35 Fantastic stuff

Brilliant clip Patto thanks for posting.  Do you know what the track is please that comes on for about twenty seconds straight after Christine Cooper around 3.45, I am sure I know it but cannot remember who sings it. :hatsoff2: 

Social source share

13 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Sticking with Rick's theme here's a real East Coast Connection. The East Coast Connection - Summer in the Parks. 

Pete

Bit of a re-activation for this recently as some of the young un's get to know it.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Bruv said:

Brilliant clip Patto thanks for posting.  Do you know what the track is please that comes on for about twenty seconds straight after Christine Cooper around 3.45, I am sure I know it but cannot remember who sings it. :hatsoff2: 

Bruv the first track after Christine Cooper is Donald Lee Richardson--You Got Me In The Palm Of My Hand.

If you mean the very brief snip before that well its too muffled for me to make out it could be an instrumental.

Social source share

46 minutes ago, hullsoul said:

Pete

Bit of a re-activation for this recently as some of the young un's get to know it.

Cheers

Martyn

Like a few of the uptempo cleggy 70s classics but Summer In the Parks was always a step too far for me.A Jumbled mess of a tune i always make for the bogs when it comes on :wink:.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Patto said:

Bruv the first track after Christine Cooper is Donald Lee Richardson--You Got Me In The Palm Of My Hand.

If you mean the very brief snip before that well its too muffled for me to make out it could be an instrumental.

Patto/Bruv

Think you are right about the snippet been an inst,does ring a bell but can't put a name to it?Think it might have a vocal as well?Memory is shot :(

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

14 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Sorry Rick, meant to say presumably you would remember this - really interesting to see you on there

Chris, it sticks in the mind like it was yesterday ( i wish lol ) :thumbup: and i would have been the tender age of around 25 years old on that clip,

Where did all those years go?  :ohmy:

Social source share

Bit of a change from me today, an LP Track from 1988, With a lot of interest in the Pioneers 7" My good friend James over the years, This is a Blue eyed Soul Version that myself and Tom Paddison (JC) played as a new release in Sunny Scunny, from the same album "love don't come no stronger than your love" came from Called "For a lifetime" A refreshing change and i hope you enjoy  

Edited by RICK SCOTT
wrong info
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Patto said:

Yes it is muffled Patto, it's a shame it's only on for a few seconds. 

Social source share

10 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Patto/Bruv

Think you are right about the snippet been an inst,does ring a bell but can't put a name to it?Think it might have a vocal as well?Memory is shot :(

Cheers

Martyn

Thanks Martyn :)

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 04/06/2017 at 20:38, RICK SCOTT said:

I think it was just a case of the DJs taste at that time, Colin and Ian were playing much the same New and Obscure New releases as we were at Cleethorpes And mixing it up with the the currant big 60s sounds, We all seemed to be on the same wave length music wise and i suspect that is why Cleethorpes And The Mecca musically was held in such high regard,(we played off each other) A lot of other venues frowned upon this and stayed staunchly 60s (but most relented in the end) due  to pressure from people asking for certain record being played elsewhere. Great soul Music is Great Soul Music which ever way you look at it.

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick, if it's not too much trouble which Cleethorpes/Pier/Winter Gardens records do you think are long forgotten and worth reactivating today? intrigued by those venues and the innovative spirit

Social source share

1 hour ago, hullsoul said:

New-ish release & my most recent addition.Think Cleethorpes would have loved this??

Lee Fields & The Expressions - Make The World Big Crown Records

Yes,Yes,Yes, Have this myself and what a record, Correct!  Cleethorpes WOULD have loved this, Right up there with THE CROW A good old fashioned STOMPER!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Top tune Rick - always imagined it was Stafford era rather than earlier - bet it sounded great at Clegg

It did, have to say the sound system was brill, the banks of speakers either side of the stage were taller than me.

Big base bins  with huge speakers on top of them and rows of the larges Horns i'd ever seen at that time.

I think Mary hired them from Road Runner Discos who were Grimsby/Cleethorpes based and hired out equipment, mind you,you needed some wattage to fill the Pier, Was a massive, place, The Blackpool Mecca sound system was very good too, Speakers were built into the ceiling over the dance area if i remember rightly.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well some nice tunes from Rick and Chris but time now to step out of the PINK OYSTER DISCO STUDIO :wink:.In response tonight 3 prev unssued 60s stormers

Heres a Doni Burdick tune that became a monster spin in the 90s .After being previously unssued it got its first legit issue on the Pink Soul King  label.

Edited by Patto
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Final one from me guys.Going on my Hols soon so the 60s mafia will be depleated.Honestly though this thread is an oasis and i respect and enjoy hearing new stuff even the whistle blowing stuff.Leaving you with a recent big sound which has just got its firs release on Hayley.JJ Barnes -- Lucille :thumbup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Patto said:

Final one from me guys.Going on my Hols soon so the 60s mafia will be depleated.Honestly though this thread is an oasis and i respect and enjoy hearing new stuff even the whistle blowing stuff.Leaving you with a recent big sound which has just got its firs release on Hayley.JJ Barnes -- Lucille :thumbup:

Three top tunes there Patto - JJ Barnes a big one to have stayed in the can so long

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

well spotted yes it was , my finisher was Charles Mann it's All Over :yes:

Both decent records Rick but Charlie is king. Still regularly blast that one out at home. To this day there are a few lyrics that I've never nailed down! 

:thumbsup:

Social source share

5 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Arrived in the post today from Chris Huggins on here. Been chasing a proper one for a while - the sublime Gene Townsel 'I'm Walking Away' (Dobre)

Just revisiting some old cd's from a swap on here in 2007 and this track features.

brilliant record.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Andy Reynard said:

I haven't posted for quite a while

but just got this worth a bit of a spin easy on the ear imho

The Heartbreakers

How do I say Goodbye

Derby City

Andy

As usual I bought it for the right side :wicked:

Heartbreakers-I've Got To Face It Derby City

• Helpful 2
Social source share

16 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Arrived in the post today from Chris Huggins on here. Been chasing a proper one for a while - the sublime Gene Townsel 'I'm Walking Away' (Dobre)

Chris

As much as this hurts me :lol:this is brilliant,proper soul record.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, Patto said:

Next one from me one that the Marvelous Mr Bird put me onto.Also prev unissued this one appeared on the flip of one of the recent Soul City label incarnations.Not easy to find as most have snapped it up.

Patto

Still sounds the dogs bollocks to me :thumbup:

Don't worry I'll keep these disco queens on there toes while you are away :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, Andy Reynard said:

I haven't posted for quite a while

but just got this worth a bit of a spin easy on the ear imho

The Heartbreakers

How do I say Goodbye

Derby City

Nice one Andy, a Beautiful Song and the side i play at home. 

When i'm feeling a bit low this is the sort of stuff i turn to, lifts the heart a bit i feel

• Helpful 1
Social source share