DJ's day Jobs

Tomangoes

21 hours ago, tomangoes said:

I understand 'Soul Sam' MB was a teacher...

What do / did other top DJ's do for a living?

I don't think many made / make enough from actual DJ payments! Especially if they follow the vinyl only code!

Ed

Wasn't Martin a geography teacher? 

Social source share

I remember talking to Keb Darge and Guy Hennigan in the mid 80s and they were moaning about their jobs. Keb worked in an abattoir and Guy in a carpet shop although it also turned out that they were also 'claiming' at the same time (I think I can mention that now!).

Social source share

Kev Roberts

Event Promoter and Radio DJ

Most 'name' DJs from the Kings Hall, Blackpool and the like don't have to worry

Probably next division - Rugby and Nuneaton etc do OK

DJs doing Northern nights at the local clubs (even if they're regular) I would guess is a different story.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Wasn't Martin a geography teacher? 

Always thought articulate Martin B was a retired English teacher - though may be wrong . Interesting thread . I've often wondered what business /employment some of the younger djs are in - looking at their high end value , ever developing playlists for guest spots in large main rooms and their own promotions they must have regular access to significant funds 

Sean Chapman - RAF pension & record dealer . 

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Richard Searling has had numerous jobs in the music industry. 

Er he was the Lighting and Music buyer for Asda for about 25 years. Prior to that A&R for RCA UK.

I knew someone at nighters who was taught by MB - there used to be button badges saying 'I've been educated by Soul Sam'.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

33 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Er he was the Lighting and Music buyer for Asda for about 25 years. Prior to that A&R for RCA UK.

I knew someone at nighters who was taught by MB - there used to be button badges saying 'I've been educated by Soul Sam'.

Dx

Shows how much I know. 

:elvis:

Social source share

56 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

I was a gangster, enforcer, Security boss  M C at raves security consultant, now I'm a retired gangster enforcer, Security boss M C and security consultant but making people happy playing NS was the best job of all

LoL, ML

Nice one Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Hooker1951 said:

I was a gangster, enforcer, Security boss  M C at raves security consultant, now I'm a retired gangster enforcer, Security boss M C and security consultant but making people happy playing NS was the best job of all

LoL, ML

And it was much appreciated.

D&P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Mod66 said:

Kev Roberts

Event Promoter and Radio DJ

Most 'name' DJs from the Kings Hall, Blackpool and the like don't have to worry

Probably next division - Rugby and Nuneaton etc do OK

DJs doing Northern nights at the local clubs (even if they're regular) I would guess is a different story.

Rugby is in the Prem as an All Nighter....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Do we really think that any DJ on this scene who isn't a significant promoter can afford not to work as a result of their DJ fees (assuming they're not of retirement age of course!)?

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Mark R said:

History or English I thought???

And wasn't RS a buyer for Morrisons most recently before retirement?

Cheers,

Mark R

Yes I just came to the computer to correct that - Morrison's not Asda.

Wasn't Steve Whittle a maintenance engineer at Heinz?

Re-the diversity of people on the scene - I went to a few nighters with a professional Thatcher from Littlehampton (near Southampton) way.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well I can see that there's a few Bob to be made at a venue pulling in 1000 punters, but they are few and far between. 

Even if a top dj got a grand, there may only be such a pay day once a month etc.

So, as others have suggested, unless they are collecting a pension, it's more than likely they would indeed need a day job to make ends meet.

I suppose it's not as expensive on the records front if they play newer releases.

Still a labour of love, and total respect to them! 

Ed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Mark R said:

And yes, I too have to wonder where these young guns get the money to fund the collections they seem to have!

Fair play to 'em like, but you do have to wonder......

Cheers,

Mark R

comment removed soz

Edited by NCFC
Social source share

On 25/03/2017 at 18:19, DaveNPete said:

Yes I just came to the computer to correct that - Morrison's not Asda.

Wasn't Steve Whittle a maintenance engineer at Heinz?

Re-the diversity of people on the scene - I went to a few nighters with a professional Thatcher from Littlehampton (near Southampton) way.

Dx

Deffo worked for Morrisons , we do a lot of their packaging (work in Repro and Flexo plate making) and we used to do the Video & CD bags , I was asked to design a new one once and had to speak to a guy called Richard Searling ! When I rang him I asked if he was THE Richard Searling , to which he replied Yes :thumbsup: So we chatted for a few minutes and he was going to send me some CD's , Togetherness etc . Never bloody got 'em :(:lol:

Social source share

Certainly back in the day, the DJ was revered by the young audience who aspired to changing places across the record decks etc.

Another kind of hero was the radio dj.

As a teenager, in South Yorkshire, the main northern soul show was radio hallam 's soul shotgun, with one John Green as host.

Roll forward 30 years or so and I got a call out of the blue about attending a sportsman's evening from a guy called..........

John Green!

The most obvious question to me, if weird to others, was ' your not soul shotgun, are you' ? To which the shocking confirmation came it was!!

Since then I've had plenty of conversations with dj John! 

A small world indeed.

Ed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!