New - Almost Forgotten 4 - Early 80's Allnighter Sounds PART 4 (FINAL)

Here we go folks with what will almost certainly be the final podcast of this particular 'Early 80's Monsters' series.

Bound to be a few here you've either forgotten... or maybe never knew in the first place! :wink:

The last deep dip into the back of the 80's Playbox comprising more 'almost forgotten' and rarely heard records that were very decent floorfillers at Rotherham Clifton Hall, The Rotherham Windmill and Cleethorpes Winter Gardens at the time. Along with a couple of real biggies, here are some of the lesser known sounds of the day.

These were some of the 'edgier' tunes that were played on the early 80's Northern Soul scene... and at the very birth of the Modern Soul scene.

Several are probably due a revival and I'm sure we will see some of these making their way onto playlists in the 21st Century.

I hope that you've enjoyed the series, looking back over 30 years, to the sounds that myself and a handful of others made into Early 80's Allnighter Monsters!

Thanks so much for listening.

:thumbsup:

Sean X

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Haven't heard 'Lady in Red' in a long time - it was MASSIVE, one of those catchy tunes you finally got sick of through overplay (same as 'Prayin') - but hearing it now it sounds brilliant especially that bit when he sings 'Hey Hey Lady' just before the chorus !  and the great rap at the end 'Walking lonely street's at night - it really aint right' 'Smiling at passing cars, hanging round in bars'.

Social source share

1 hour ago, polyvelts said:

Haven't heard 'Lady in Red' in a long time - it was MASSIVE, one of those catchy tunes you finally got sick of through overplay (same as 'Prayin') - but hearing it now it sounds brilliant especially that bit when he sings 'Hey Hey Lady' just before the chorus !  and the great rap at the end 'Walking lonely street's at night - it really aint right' 'Smiling at passing cars, hanging round in bars'.

You're right mate. It did go huge!

I found it originally in Lincoln Market for about 10p. When Crofty and I used to sit down and decide what we were going to play that night he wasnt too keen, so I played him the other side (Cup Runneth Over) which he liked even less, so we agreed to go for 'Lady In Red' as the better side!

As usual we'd both play our 'tips' twice each in a night, so by the time the night was over it was a Monster!

Was the first of my tunes to get 'bootlegged' so I guess at that point I knew I had a hit on my hands :lol:

Sean

Social source share

Here's the playlist for the fourth and final podcast!

Enjoy.

Sean

Almost Forgotten - Early 80's Allnighter Sounds - Part Four

1    Alan Harris    Get Ready
2    Bros Gilmore    I Feel A Song
3    Little Anthony     Love Was Born For Me
4    LTD    You Must Have Known I Needed Love
5    Cut Glass     Alive With Love
6    Instant Funk    Crying
7    High Fashion    Hold On
8    Rufus    Any Love
9    Kashif    Rumours
10    Jessie Mitchell    It Could Have Been Different
11    Luckey Davis    It's Not Where You Start
12    CoCo & Ben    Good Feeling
13    EJ Rice    Will You Be Coming Back
14    Fantastic Shakers    Biggest Mistake
15    Alex Taylor    Slowly Turning To Love
16    Bobby Raylov    If We Can't Be Lovers
17    24 Karat Gold     New Love
18    Motherfox    Falling Into Love
19    Omni    Out Of My Hands
20    Ruby Wilson    The Feelin's Still There
21    Samona Cooke    Subway
22    Perfections    Can This Be Real
23    Joe Simon    Love Look At Us Now
24    Coke Escovedo    I Wouldn’t Change A Thing
25    Ronnie Dyson    Lady In Red
26    Stargard    I'll Always Love You
27    Veda Brown    I had A Fight With Love
28    Enchantment    Thank You Girl For Loving Me
29    BoBo Mr Soul    Hitchiking To Heartbreak
30    Ron Matlock    You Got The Best Of Me
31    Sonny Charles    Put It In A Magazine
32    Booker Newbury    Love Town
33    Walter Jackson    Touching In The Dark
34    Brainstorm    We're On Our Way Home

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, steveh73 said:

Great music - just can't imagine many of these finding favour on today's northern scene!!

Which is really bizarre when you consider that they were absolutely massive on the Northern Scene of 35 years ago!

Where did it all go wrong? :g:

Sean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Many thanks for posting these, more than a few newies for these ears. You could do a revival session with some of these at the Whitby July weekender :yes:

Thanks mate. I could certainly work a few into my set in the Modern Room, if that's what you mean?

Sean

Social source share

4 minutes ago, algsoul said:

Enchantment    Thank The Lord For Loving Me  tuneeeeeeee   is this lp only and which one please

lawrence

Hi there, yes LP only and can be found on this one here for about a tenner!

https://www.discogs.com/Enchantment-Enchantment/release/1308611

May have lead you on the rocks, its'Thank you Girl' not 'Thank The Lord',

Cheers

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!