Alfie Davison - Love Is a Serious Business.

Hi all,

Other than the three versions listed below on Discogs are there any other legit versions of this long time want on the mercury label?

The more I look for one the more I seem to read about the rarity of the 12 " and of the version ' that Soul Sam used to play.' was this a different 12" ?  I believe there was a re-issue 12" in the 90's on the brookside(?) label which looking at the labels was a part of the Mercury group but other than that I cant find anything more.

Thanks in advance for any info

Alfie Davison.PNG

Social source share

Only one. very rare 12 inch version. The one that Soul Sam used to play. Think you have the releases covered in your original post although I have a nagging thought that there maybe a release on an anniversary freebie 45 from some club or another. I could well be wrong tho.

Cheers Paul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi. I have seen soul sams 12" copy and it is the mercury version. I have the brookside 12" which is a slightly extended version of the 7" mercury release.  The mercury 12 " has the long intro and instrumental break in the middle.  Awesome tune. 

Edited by Greedy Mick
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 3/25/2017 at 18:30, soul shrews said:

Only one. very rare 12 inch version. The one that Soul Sam used to play. Think you have the releases covered in your original post although I have a nagging thought that there maybe a release on an anniversary freebie 45 from some club or another. I could well be wrong tho.

Cheers Paul

Yes rings a bell with me as well that Paul. There's the boot that keeps cropping up on ebay (one on there at the minute), the soul power one with 'the mark IV on the flip and there's the Philly groove one that again is on ebay at the minute but I want a real one if I can afford it !! I know exactly the one that you mean as they play it at hull soul club. Oh and the 'Brookside' one that has been mentioned in this discussion.

John

Edited by Fishdockroad
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Greedy Mick said:

Hi. I have seen soul sams 12" copy and it is the mercury version. I have the brookside 12" which is a slightly extended version of the 7" mercury release.  The mercury 12 " has the long intro and instrumental break in the middle.  Awesome tune. 

Is that classed as an official release or have they just used 'Brookside' as its on the original label ??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Brookside version poor sound quality IMO, very muffled and nowhere near as good as on Mercury

Another oddity is the 7" promo has a stereo mix whereas the 7" issue is mono. I have the issue but would have preferred a stereo mix :D

12" version strangely unsatisfying IMO, love the 7" but the 12" mix too disjointed

Social source share

3 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Brookside version poor sound quality IMO, very muffled and nowhere near as good as on Mercury

Another oddity is the 7" promo has a stereo mix whereas the 7" issue is mono. I have the issue but would have preferred a stereo mix :D

12" version strangely unsatisfying IMO, love the 7" but the 12" mix too disjointed

Never knew that Chris. Just looked at the pictures on discogs and the issue doesn't say mono or stereo so thanks for letting me know. Promo on 7" it is then, if I can ever find a reasonably priced one that is. :)

John

Social source share

19 hours ago, soulacola said:

bought it at a scooter rally in the 80's for 2 quid. it was always a big rally sound at all the do's. usually followed by velvet hammer "happy".

its lurking somewhere in my loft.

great tune to dance to.

If it's only lurking somewhere up in the loft surely you want to sell it 😃?? I'll give you more than 2 quid for it 😃  

Social source share

On 27/03/2017 at 18:51, Mark R said:

Has this been mentioned as I see releases of questionable origin have already been mentioned?

322432574033.jpg.911c861bfead806dc500f2c28ee43142.jpg

Cheers,

Mark R

I like playing the above one more than my original copy, Bought the SOS 45 in the 8ts, had no money, all I could afford at the time, excluding a small amount for my beer money... its lived with me that old 45.....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the replies and advice and by an uncanny coincidence the final reply above from  Northern Soul Uk kind of brings this discussion full circle. Allow me to explain!!

Below the picture of the above version by Grace Kennedy is, in red, a plug for a forthcoming event at Leeds Central with residents and guest dj Mally Meah on Sunday June the 18th.

Mally recently dj'd for us at our Sunday Soul session in Cleethorpes and I followed him on the decks. As he was sorting his records, just in front of the dj box, he started discussing and looking at some of his records with a friend of mine and low and behold I spotted that he had Alfie Davison on the 7" promo on Mercury. I shouted to him gave him the thumbs up regarding the record and he passed it to me for me to look at and then told me I could play it if I wanted which I did and it was that that  prompted me to start this discussion!! Now I just need to find myself a copy !!

Great bloke and he raised the roof at our little do !!!

Social source share

On 3/28/2017 at 15:04, smudger said:

There was another boot with Benny Spellman fortune teller on tuther side and from memory it had a good sound quality,i think i gave  it to Shaun at Red Bar

https://www.discogs.com/Benny-Spellman-Fortune-Teller/release/3398811

Just got one of the ones in the link, as you say supposed to be a decent press and was, according to my sources, pressed up in the 80s not too long after the original was pressed, so still 30 years old'ish

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/28/2017 at 15:53, paup-ine said:

And don't forget there's that Small text/Big text issues.

Small text being first issue, so I am told!:)

P:)

Alfie DAvidson 001.jpg

Hi there,

Just re reading this thread and I must admit that this little piece of info passed me by first time round and  again its something else I wasn't aware off. I presume that's only regarding the issue copy and again I presume as with most first issues its the more valuable of the two !

Social source share

I thought it was the large test issue that was first (same size text as the demo). It was a good six months or more before JA at Soul Bowl had multiple copies for sale and they were all small text (as picture in previous post).

I suppose John could have had the small text release in earlier and was selling then selectively, but they never appeared on his list until later, as mentioned above.

Cheers
Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 26/03/2017 at 20:25, codfromderby said:

oh yes, it got a few plays years,ago, pay anymore than a fiver and you've been done

3 hours ago, Fishdockroad said:

Somehow these two posts do not seem to coincide....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!