Greatest Cover Version Ever

• Replies 32
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Talking about originals and covers is tricky business. A few weeks ago I was sure about he originals of Time is on my side, Message to Martha/Michael and In the midnight hour. Now I know better I should with some sadness say: "In the midnight hour" by Wilson Pickett, very simply. But emotionally it is hard to swallow.

So I mention what I would have mentioned spontaneously: Willie Mitchell - Soul serenade.

Still rather simple. But sheer beauty. (King Curtis too, of course).

Social source share

I actually like the Ohio Players - Love slipped through my fingers. Out on my own on this one I think.

I also prefer the modern version of Lighten up - Ty Karim.

Ed

link

Got to agree with you on the Ohio Players - fantastic version !

Social source share

I actually like the Ohio Players - Love slipped through my fingers. Out on my own on this one I think.

I also prefer the modern version of Lighten up - Ty Karim.

Ed

link

yep i'm with ya on the ohio players as well

Davie

patti drew - fever

ella fitzgerald- get ready

Social source share

Not strictly a cover version but i love it  :)

link

Do like that.. and that's as much of a Jackie Wilson cover as I can stand.Although I've heard it a million times, Jackie still sounds the best. What a voice..just gonna go off and put Because of you on now....

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

On the subject of Al Green, his version of the Bee Gee's "How can you mend a broken heart" from the "Let's stay together album is f*cking awesome.

Paul

SITC

link

Great point Paul :thumbsup: and what a lovely album that is!!

My picks has to be:

Gladys Knight "tracks of my tears"

Erma Coffee "anyway the wind blows"

*Syl J. does the original..

best

Leo

Social source share

On the subject of Al Green, his version of the Bee Gee's "How can you mend a broken heart" from the "Let's stay together album is f*cking awesome.

Paul

SITC

link

Gotta agree on that one Paul, mind you not listened to it in at least 20 years

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Gotta agree on that one Paul, mind you not listened to it in at least 20 years

link

Also Al Greens "i'm so lonesome i could cry" (Hank Williams) and "for the good times" (Kris Kristofferson) beats the hell out of the originals IMO

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Dee Dee Warwick..When love love slips away..Mercury

link

also i preffer her version of "she didn't know (she kept on talking)" , much nicer than the (very very good) Sandra Phillips original.

best

Leo

Social source share

Agree with those who mentioned Al Green's various cover versions. He has the uncanny ability to make other peoples' songs truly his own. My favourite by him at the moment is a stunning live recording of Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come" from the soundtrack of the Michael Mann / Will Smith film "Ali".

It was recorded with backup from Booker T & the MGs and the Memphis Horns at an MTV Hall Of Fame concert in the mid 90s, and is quite simply staggering in its intensity. A true moment of musical history, where he wrings every last ounce of emotion from one of soul's greatest songs.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Stevie's version of anything! My fave being his rendition of God Bless The Child off of his For Once In My Life lp. His greatest album in my opinion. There's something heartbreaking about a blind, black boy singing 'God bless the child that's got his own...'

Also his version of Angel Baby literally rocks all over the original.

Peggy Lee's version of 'Sittin' on the dock of the bay' jazzes up a song that's long bored me to tears.

Jean DuShon - Feelin' Good on Cadet.

Dee Dee Sharp - Comin' Home Baby.

Fabulettes version of Money.

And can anyone tell me if Butch's United Four came before Irma & Fascinations. Cos if it didn't, I think that's one of the greatest covers I've heard.

...and I know it's not a soul record, but you have to hear The Road's version of She's Not There..... You'll never listen to the Zombies' version again.

ps. What's the Gladys version of 'Tracks..' on?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!