Jump to content
  • Sign Up
codfromderby

the cat cafe, how strange

Recommended Posts

oldest daughter and boyfriend took me and Jane out for mothers day, we went to a cat cafe in derby and I know I've eaten in some strange places in the past but this was really odd, it was a small what appears to be a converted terrace house where they serve food and drinks, but there are about 20 cats just wandering about, still can't make out in my own head if it was good or just odd, any opinions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I recently saw something about a sheep café, though that could have been just my warped mind playing tricks again.  Cat cafés are supposedly for those that like cats, but can't have one due to landlords rules, being in a job where they never know when they'll be home or are just too lazy to clean up after one.  It's a nice idea for animal lovers, but as I go everywhere with my dog when in Spain, he might not like being left out of the fussing and stroking that obviously the place encourages.  Don't get me wrong, he likes cats, as do I, but he likes being the centre of attention too.

I just checked, the sheep café does exist!!!

 

Edited by TattooDave
I'm a dumbass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the bizarre thing is we have cats at home, just remembered as well they also had a couple of those hairless cats that look like the aliens from the x files also I could not get the connection between cats and the hipster thing, beards, craft drinks etc, its worth a visit really to just play with your head, but definitely not if you are a bit emotionally unstable or have just come from a heavy all nighter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, codfromderby said:

the bizarre thing is we have cats at home, just remembered as well they also had a couple of those hairless cats that look like the aliens from the x files also I could not get the connection between cats and the hipster thing, beards, craft drinks etc, its worth a visit really to just play with your head, but definitely not if you are a bit emotionally unstable or have just come from a heavy all nighter

Cats have always been associated with the intellectual.  I like the hairless cats, and the Rex varieties, less of a pet hair problem that way (he says looking down at the dog!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Personally think that unless you have a guide dog or similar. No pets or animals allowed. Couldn't think of anything worse than being in a room with cats. Best seen through a sight and cross hair in my opinion. 

Steve

"Hear him , hear him" ... :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Personally think that unless you have a guide dog or similar. No pets or animals allowed. Couldn't think of anything worse than being in a room with cats. Best seen through a sight and cross hair in my opinion. 

Steve

surely you can think of worse things than being in a room with cats,

that in my opinion is a little dramatic

being in a room with Graham Norton, Jeremy Clarkson, Russell brand or anyone who is in to real ale is far worse

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, codfromderby said:

surely you can think of worse things than being in a room with cats,

that in my opinion is a little dramatic

being in a room with Graham Norton, Jeremy Clarkson, Russell brand or anyone who is in to real ale is far worse

 

 

 

Must admit, this appeals to me more than a caff full of moggies, as long as any of the aforementioned gentlemen aren't in attendance.....

http://victorian.beer

PS Just noticed that the house band are called "The Shabby Cats".

Edited by Steve S 60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Must admit, this appeals to me more than a caff full of moggies, as long as any of the aforementioned gentlemen aren't in attendance.....

http://victorian.beer

PS Just noticed that the house band are called "The Shabby Cats".

mmm, Belgian beer and cheese night, yep you win beats cats hands down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, codfromderby said:

mmm, Belgian beer and cheese night, yep you win beats cats hands down

Today it's Cat Cafes.  A couple of years from now, I don't want to be sharing the dance floor with a load of moggies when Sam & Kitty gets played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 27/03/2017 at 08:09, codfromderby said:

 there are about 20 cats just wandering about, still can't make out in my own head if it was good or just odd

 

On 27/03/2017 at 08:36, TattooDave said:

being left out of the fussing and stroking that obviously the place encourages.  

I seem to remember reading an article about Cat Cafe's when the first one or two opened a few years ago, I couldn't really see the appeal of it myself and thought it was just another gimmick novelty type thing to get customers through the door.

And from a business point of view you're immediately reducing your potential customer base down pretty drastically.

And perhaps the most bizarre thing was that the owners of the cafe didn't particularly like or encourage customers to fuss over and stroke their cats. So the cats were essentially a side show to be looked at.

Derek

How they keep the cafe clean is beyond me - I imagine getting past Health and Safety laws was horrendous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek Pearson said:

 

 

I seem to remember reading an article about Cat Cafe's when the first one or two opened a few years ago, I couldn't really see the appeal of it myself and thought it was just another gimmick novelty type thing to get customers through the door.

And from a business point of view you're immediately reducing your potential customer base down pretty drastically.

And perhaps the most bizarre thing was that the owners of the cafe didn't particularly like or encourage customers to fuss over and stroke their cats. So the cats were essentially a side show to be looked at.

Derek

How they keep the cafe clean is beyond me - I imagine getting past Health and Safety laws was horrendous.

Interesting that you say they don't encourage customers to fuss over them as I'd have thought if a cat wanted it they'd pretty much plonk themselves on top of you, they seem to do with me.

I take my dog into the restaurants that I use in Spain, mind you, if they don't have a vegan option they don't get my money, so they are very few in number.  The regulars all make a fuss of him, and a couple of the staff do too. 

Many years ago I had to visit Oxford on business and was refused service outside on the pavement because I had a dog with me, Pompey were playing there the next day, and a couple of words in the right ears saw that the café didn't do any business for a couple of months afterwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.