Joe Matthews.... info please

Guest chorleybloke

Guest chorleybloke

Looking for info on Thelma T-114 white demo..... "We Got A Good Thing Going / Sorry Ain't Good Enough".  Seems like it was unissued in the 60s so who issued it and when?  Is it properly licenced and considered OVO?

Info appreciated, Cheers...........Pete

Social source share

Pete , found a bit of info on Popsike mate , don't know if it helps :thumbsup:

Cheers

Swifty

"Rare 45 by Joe Matthews. Songs are "We Got A Good Thing Going" b/w "Sorry Ain't Good Enough" . DJ promo on Thelma Records #114. Condition is Mint- (9)

Here's the lowdown on this release, a local detroit collector obtained some unissued recordings and alternate versions of Joe Matthews and Emanuel Lasky acetates from person close to the Thelma label and had them pressed onto 45 in very limited edition of 500 copies over 20 years ago. Long out of print and have become very hard to find."

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
14 hours ago, SWIFTY said:

Pete , found a bit of info on Popsike mate , don't know if it helps :thumbsup:

Cheers

Swifty

"Rare 45 by Joe Matthews. Songs are "We Got A Good Thing Going" b/w "Sorry Ain't Good Enough" . DJ promo on Thelma Records #114. Condition is Mint- (9)

Here's the lowdown on this release, a local detroit collector obtained some unissued recordings and alternate versions of Joe Matthews and Emanuel Lasky acetates from person close to the Thelma label and had them pressed onto 45 in very limited edition of 500 copies over 20 years ago. Long out of print and have become very hard to find."

Thanks mate... also volumes 5 and 6 of JM's guide don't flag it up as a boot indicating it's a legit release.  What surprises me is the low price but that can change in a heartbeat these days.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
On 01/04/2017 at 15:24, TattooDave said:

Have a look on here Pete, there's a difference between the typeface on the reissue, the original is bolder.  https://www.45cat.com/record/nc645807us

Yeah I saw that thanks Dave... still inconclusive in my mind though.  I'll have a chat with JM to understand what led him to declare it to be legit (by default) in the price guide books.

Social source share

On 01/04/2017 at 02:05, chorleybloke said:

So is there any way of ascertaining whether it was released legitimately?

It was not released in the 60's for the USA market, when it was recorded, so there is no original release of it!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
12 hours ago, solidsoul said:

It was not released in the 60's for the USA market, when it was recorded, so there is no original release of it!

But it was released in the 80s (allegedly) and it's this one I'm trying to authenticate.  If it was all above board then this becomes a legitimate original doesn't it?

Social source share

The first copies I saw of these were in the 90's from John Manship - It was suggested they were "new finds", but I suppose they could have been around earlier as I was off the scene late 80's to early 90's.

I have it in mind they were brown translucent plastic (Like B Holloway, and around the same time) but can't be sure now. Will have a look later and see if they are.

Cheers
Mick

Hmmm. Well I only have E Laskey by the look of it. It appears at first glance to be solid plastic, but holding it directly at a real stong light (I used the Sun), it does show it to be "just about " see-though, but nowhere near as translucent at B Holloway etc.

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Update
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, chorleybloke said:

But it was released in the 80s (allegedly) and it's this one I'm trying to authenticate.  If it was all above board then this becomes a legitimate original doesn't it?

It's not an original Thelma, because the Thelma Record Company finished in the 1960's.

I think it could be a legal special pressing from an old recording, but it's no kind of original Thelma record!

For DJing it's ok to play, because there is no original.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
15 hours ago, solidsoul said:

It's not an original Thelma, because the Thelma Record Company finished in the 1960's.

I think it could be a legal special pressing from an old recording, but it's no kind of original Thelma record!

For DJing it's ok to play, because there is no original.

Yeah that's my point, did whoever pressed the limited run 20 years ago or whenever do so with all the necessary permissions and licences?  If so it's a legal release, if not it's just another bootleg.

Social source share

22 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

The first copies I saw of these were in the 90's from John Manship - It was suggested they were "new finds", but I suppose they could have been around earlier as I was off the scene late 80's to early 90's.

I have it in mind they were brown translucent plastic (Like B Holloway, and around the same time) but can't be sure now. Will have a look later and see if they are.

Cheers
Mick

Hmmm. Well I only have E Laskey by the look of it. It appears at first glance to be solid plastic, but holding it directly at a real stong light (I used the Sun), it does show it to be "just about " see-though, but nowhere near as translucent at B Holloway etc.

John was definately first with these, I got them from him at the time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!