Audio Topic - Joe Bataan

Mike

Just been digging about in the old topics on here, which reminded me of just how many audio threads we used to have going

These threads/topics were themed topics where members just posted up an audio clip and maybe a few words that fitted in with the thread topic 

Thought may be good to revisit

So here we go, all you need to do is read, listen and if want to add a track or words then just post up

do ask...

• Try not to hog the topic, one every few hours could work well
  • Keep it enjoyable, if you don't like the topic then may be better if you just keep your fingers away from that 'post'  button and just sit on the beach and wait for the next one
  •  

so see how thing's go

here are a Joe Bataan audio topic...

Social source share

picked joe Bataan for this as apart from the challenge of spelling his name right,  find that almost every time I browse his stuff always find something that grabs me

here's one such...

reworking of 'special girl' , background anyone...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Anyone know the track on the Dynamite label from 1970 titled "If I Were A King" .... Joe Bataan ran this Dynamite label (there were quite a few labels that used this name, including other US soul labels). Seems strange that just months later, Joe cut a song under this title himself, though he's credited as the writer of it . . . 

BobbyMarin45mont.jpg

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 3/31/2017 at 17:40, stateside said:

Always loved his version of this and I do like watching old Soul Train videos

Kev

his take of shaft was another that at the time didn't really appreciate

a later revisit - 2009 version 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

intro and a half
some may remember this from HESC events - Ritz etc circa 1977 , I even heard it out at Wigan via Searling

though wasn't till the days of internet that twigged LaSo was short for latin soul orch and then found out was also two 'earlier' versions of this track....

Social source share

On 3/30/2017 at 17:19, Roburt said:

Anyone know the track on the Dynamite label from 1970 titled "If I Were A King" .... Joe Bataan ran this Dynamite label (there were quite a few labels that used this name, including other US soul labels). Seems strange that just months later, Joe cut a song under this title himself, though he's credited as the writer of it . . . 

Joe Battan has confirmed that the Mr Love & Company name was just hiding his real identity, as it was him that cut both versions of the song. 

Social source share

On 4/5/2017 at 09:28, mike said:

intro and a half
some may remember this from HESC events - Ritz etc circa 1977 , I even heard it out at Wigan via Searling

though wasn't till the days of internet that twigged LaSo was short for latin soul orch and then found out was also two 'earlier' versions of this track....

wind this up ?

for completion sake... here's the two 'earlier' versions of 'laso square'

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!