Irthlingborough Diamonds

Maark

Say what you like about Jem and the Going to a Go-Go Crew, and they do have their detractors, but the truth is, they know how to put a f**kin good do on. A great balance of arse kickin sounds that keeps the dance floor packed most of the night, without selling their soul. We are so lucky in mid Northants to have such a plethora of soul nights, seemingly every week and a big thanks to all local promoters for keeping the Northants Soul scene so vibrant. I bet there arn't many places with a relativley small population that have so many soul nights(yes, I am drunk but I've been able to walk home from a soul do!! :lol: )

• Replies 30
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Say what you like about Jem and the Going to a Go-Go Crew, and they do have their detractors, but the truth is, they know how to put a f**kin good do on. A great balance of arse kickin sounds that keeps the dance floor packed most of the night, without selling their soul. We are so lucky in mid Northants to have such a plethora of soul nights, seemingly every week and a big thanks to all local promoters for keeping the Northants Soul scene so vibrant. I bet there arn't many places with a relativley small population that have so many soul nights(yes, I am drunk but I've been able to walk home from a soul do!! :lol: )

===========

Place was rocking, had to go early cos have to be up in the morning, so should be sleeping now............some bloody hope :P

loads of soul nights all playing the same records , think whats missing locally is a promoter whos prepared to put on a more upfront night , playingunknown , underplayed 60s /70s rare soul , on the odd occasion i visit a local soul night it seems very stale thats why i would rather travel 2-3 hours to venues like soul or nothing /lifeline etc where i can hear something different but seems i am in the minority as the masses like to hear the same .old old.

loads of soul nights all playing the same records , think whats missing locally is a promoter whos prepared to put on a more upfront night , playingunknown , underplayed 60s /70s rare soul , on the odd occasion i visit a local soul night it seems very stale thats why i would rather travel 2-3 hours to venues like soul or nothing /lifeline etc where i can hear something different but seems i am in the minority as the masses like to hear the same .old old.

Well, I've not been on the scene as long as some so played out oldies for one person........ But I take your point as I went to a soul night last Friday and was, lets just say, unexcited by the music. I don't think that GTAG do play loads of overplayed, but, as I said.... For me personally there is more to a soul night than just music and where I think Going to a go-go score is pulling in plenty non soulies who end up having a good time. Hopefully some will become converts and help keep the local scene strong. I would be well up for a upfront rare night around here Tony as I love to hear new stuff but that might put me in a minority too, but I can still enjoy other nights for what they are, a bloody good night out. And last night was!! :lol:

As you well know tony we packed the diamonds out twice last year but unfortunately it still run at a loss, but we are re-locating again.

Any way thats enough of that, see it was for charity hope they managed to raise abit, its a costly venture the diamonds :lol:

============

Not sure there'd be enough of a crowd in this area for a totally upfront night? No disrespect intended to anyone

============

Not sure there'd be enough of a crowd in this area for a totally upfront night? No disrespect intended to anyone

:P

We've proved it twice, OK it wernt 'upfront' it was just summin a little differnt, 200+ in twice, i kicked of at 7.30 they were trickeling onto the dance floor at just gone 8 :lol:

Any how we are sort of detracting from the thread here, dont want to hijack it :P

===========

Ok mate, thought it might have some relevance bearing in mind Maark mentioned a lot of non soulies at Diamonds last night, that's all :thumbsup:

No probs win, just got to be carful i've got a lynch mob after my blood that seem to think moderating biast ect, ect, ect :thumbsup:

Would love to contuinue the disscusion can always split it if you fancy, Just dont want to detract from the point of the topic of the night last night at the diamonds :P

No probs win, just got to be carful i've got a lynch mob after my blood that seem to think moderating biast ect, ect, ect :thumbsup:

Would love to contuinue the disscusion can always split it if you fancy, Just dont want to detract from the point of the topic of the night last night at the diamonds :thumbsup:

==========

Don't mind if you split it, not sure we'd cover any new ground, but maybe worth a go, apologies to Maark for hijacking :P

==========

Don't mind if you split it, not sure we'd cover any new ground, but maybe worth a go, apologies to Maark for hijacking :thumbsup:

No worries peeps! :P I don't know if it's just my lack of knowledge, but I didn' detect a huge difference in the music of Baz's Diamonds do's and last night. I can be a bit stuck up sometimes, but I did plenty of dancing last night! Maybe cos I have my own category of soul that I like and both do's cover it! Or maybe I'm just easy to please! :thumbsup:

No worries peeps! :P I don't know if it's just my lack of knowledge, but I didn' detect a huge difference in the music of Baz's Diamonds do's and last night. I can be a bit stuck up sometimes, but I did plenty of dancing last night! Maybe cos I have my own category of soul that I like and both do's cover it! Or maybe I'm just easy to please! :thumbsup:

You sure :thumbsup:

We still played good dancable soul music, not slagging the place off but im guessing it was mainly oldies with some motown? i dont think you herd any of that at the diamonds.

You sure :thumbsup:

We still played good dancable soul music, not slagging the place off but im guessing it was mainly oldies with some motown? i dont think you herd any of that at the diamonds.

==========

It was a charity do, and the advert said motown, so you'd expect to hear some? Think the important point here is, that both do's had 200 in, and probably pretty much the same 200. Don't think they thought, wow, rare and obscure, must go, same as I don't think they thought wow, northern and motown must go. Think its more likely the crowd thought, wow, a soul night that's local, must go.

Winnie:-)

PS. Was at the second one you ran at Diamonds Baz, lots of faces I didn't know, same as last night, which is why I've come to this conclusion.

tony if you want a more upfront local night get over to the l.e.l club in st .ives top guest d.j's each time dont want to hijack this thread see events for more info

glad diamonds went well :thumbsup:

==========

It was a charity do, and the advert said motown, so you'd expect to hear some? Think the important point here is, that both do's had 200 in, and probably pretty much the same 200. Don't think they thought, wow, rare and obscure, must go, same as I don't think they thought wow, northern and motown must go. Think its more likely the crowd thought, wow, a soul night that's local, must go.

Winnie:-)

PS. Was at the second one you ran at Diamonds Baz, lots of faces I didn't know, same as last night, which is why I've come to this conclusion.

Thanks Winnie, that's pretty much what I wanted to say. Baz, I don't always know the difference between the different categories of soul but I know my tastes cover all genres so if there is decent stuff (to me) that is played and the dance floor is full of happy faces, then the soul do's tend to merge into one, ie a great night. :thumbsup:

Guest tonytone
:thumbsup: Yes I go with that They do all play the same set with the odd unknown put in between, but I do think northants like it that way? I like to hear new sounds, keeps the scene fresh! but the classics stand the test of time!
Guest tonytone
:thumbsup: Hi Mark, yes a great night, need to change the dance floor, it's sh** , also change the set list, it's all too samie, but saying that if they did play new sounds no one would dance, unless you played them in the last hour 1/2!
Say what you like about Jem and the Going to a Go-Go Crew, and they do have their detractors, but the truth is, they know how to put a f**kin good do on. A great balance of arse kickin sounds that keeps the dance floor packed most of the night, without selling their soul. We are so lucky in mid Northants to have such a plethora of soul nights, seemingly every week and a big thanks to all local promoters for keeping the Northants Soul scene so vibrant. I bet there arn't many places with a relativley small population that have so many soul nights(yes, I am drunk but I've been able to walk home from a soul do!! :thumbsup: )

:thumbsup: Yes I go with that They do all play the same set with the odd unknown put in between, but I do think northants like it that way? I like to hear new sounds, keeps the scene fresh! but the classics stand the test of time!

===========

Don't think it's just Northants, the whole of the UK is pretty much the same, you've only got to look at how many events consider themselves upront on SS. I can only think of 3/4 off hand, although Dave Thorley's Aston Villa venture looks very promising. What might be an interesting experiment is if the "Up front-ateers" toured as it were. Different region every 2 months, venue holding 2/300, might go some way to seeing if the travelling is a major put off to the northern soul populace. The upside could be that people would realise what they're potentially missing, shake off the apathy and decide to venture outside they're local areas. Course this is all hypothoses, have no idea if it would be financially viable, and no way of knowing whether it would have a positive effect, just waxing lyrical on a Saturday afternoon :thumbsup:

Say what you like about Jem and the Going to a Go-Go Crew, and they do have their detractors, but the truth is, they know how to put a f**kin good do on. A great balance of arse kickin sounds that keeps the dance floor packed most of the night, without selling their soul. We are so lucky in mid Northants to have such a plethora of soul nights, seemingly every week and a big thanks to all local promoters for keeping the Northants Soul scene so vibrant. I bet there arn't many places with a relativley small population that have so many soul nights(yes, I am drunk but I've been able to walk home from a soul do!! :thumbsup: )

Thanks for your support Maark! glad you had a good night and can apprieciate what we are trying to achieve....i agree i think the night went really well and that all the Djs played some cracking sounds- some rare- some not- some overplayed or popular! and some underplayed, wether it was motown , northern ,rare soul, 70s, crossover or r&b i think the quality of music was great and quite a few happy punters personally thanked us at the end which makes it all worthwile!.....in relation to some of the comments made by others on this forum i suggest you get your facts right! and at least attend one of our nights before you comment or criticize...enough said really dont you think!.....to all our supporters a BIG THANKS! :thumbsup: ....JEM

Thanks for your support Maark! glad you had a good night and can apprieciate what we are trying to achieve....i agree i think the night went really well and that all the Djs played some cracking sounds- some rare- some not- some overplayed or popular! and some underplayed, wether it was motown , northern ,rare soul, 70s, crossover or r&b i think the quality of music was great and quite a few happy punters personally thanked us at the end which makes it all worthwile!.....in relation to some of the comments made by others on this forum i suggest you get your facts right! and at least attend one of our nights before you comment or criticize...enough said really dont you think!.....to all our supporters a BIG THANKS! :lol: ....JEM

Glad it went well Jem :thumbsup:

I have attended one night in higham, sorry to say it wasn't really my cup of tea, i did quite enjoy the Pemberton center the other week though :P but i cant see any critisism really in any posts, not with out reading back anyway

What is your problem Tony? first you personally email me an diss. my Pemberton event and the DJs before it even happens and then you knock the Diamonds, you did not attend either of these events so how can you comment! i have known you for over 30 years , for many of those we have lived in the same town and considered you as a mate...if you are so concerned about playing your kind of music put your money where your mouth is and do it ,put one on locally...the truth is you have tried it before and it does not work! we all have rare or underplayed records in our box that we like, me included, but are we putting on events just to play the records we like or should the paying punter have a say in it....my opinion is that you can do both successfully let people hear what they want and at the same time try some rarer stuff out , we do and it seems to work, also what is wrong with non soulies! attending events if people want to come and listen to great music i will gladley play it the whole scene needs supporters we can not afford to be devicive with the music or we will lose it.....finally here is an offer firstly GROW UP!come and see me! and DJ at our next event ,if you are so keen on playing something different then do. YOU WONT CHANGE PEOPLES TASTES BY MERELY TALKING ABOUT IT, YOU HAVE TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT......Jem
Guest kev such

So what appears to be the problem with certain people.

We had a FANTASTIC night at the Diamonds last night, So BLEEDING what if we play a multitude of the good old Northern Soul. I am sick and bloody tired of paying £8 to £10 to get into a soul night and looking around the room and seeing most people mouthing the words "whats this rubbish"

Northern Soul is about dancing not standing about talking all bloody night. So if we play the music that the paying punters want to hear then so be it.

The proof is in the pudding when for the entire night the floor is full of dancers WHICH IS WHAT THE SCENE IS ABOUT.

When i and the majority of soulies go home cream crackered and sweating then we've had a damn good time(how attractive). If you want to play your rare and obscure or modern music then fine. You do your thing and we will do ours, and just get on with it, Nobody is bigger than the music,and it will still be around when you or any other DJ's are not. So as my asteemed compatriot Jem says, should you be bothered to put a night on or do a set as you have been offered, we shall see if you can keep the floor full and please the punters, WHICH IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT. So put one on or SHUT up. Please do get in contact MR Parker, we will have go to for a beer. :thumbsup:

Guest rushden

Being from Rushden originally i have to be envious when i read off the numbers you get back home , we put on a bash in Brisbane last night & managed 60 in a venue where talc was banned on a floor which was total S88888888888 although the dancefloor was full all night, with records like wally cox this man , we the people making my daydream real , records that have been tried & failed here are curtis anderson hardest part, luther dont want a fool, sam moultrie ,mark jackson,blenders ect ect most requested record here is the snake .

I would like to pay tribute to an Higham Ferrers soulie who passed on recently , so to you Russell Bowers you were a legend amongst us mate way back when at the Rock foundation , when you dazzled us with lester tipton ect ect along with fellow djs Tony parker , Phillip atley ,Sid clayton & Bedfords Crip carlin , you will be sorely missed at the re - union bash next year R.I.P mate john

Being from Rushden originally i have to be envious when i read off the numbers you get back home , we put on a bash in Brisbane last night & managed 60 in a venue where talc was banned on a floor which was total S88888888888 although the dancefloor was full all night, with records like wally cox this man , we the people making my daydream real , records that have been tried & failed here are curtis anderson hardest part, luther dont want a fool, sam moultrie ,mark jackson,blenders ect ect most requested record here is the snake .

I would like to pay tribute to an Higham Ferrers soulie who passed on recently , so to you Russell Bowers you were a legend amongst us mate way back when at the Rock foundation , when you dazzled us with lester tipton ect ect along with fellow djs Tony parker , Phillip atley ,Sid clayton & Bedfords Crip carlin , you will be sorely missed at the re - union bash next year R.I.P mate john

===========

That's sad news about Rug Bowers, met him and Phil Atlee at the Windmill all those years ago. R.I.P.

Guest rushden

Yes mate very sad , great memorys the windmill grew up in that street glassbrook rd , luckly for some of us we are alive & able to continue the dream off sharing the this great music & long may it continue regards john ps one of are lads kev core ex Kettering as a laugh with me about the night they the kettering soulies came over on a double decker to sort the Rushden lads out at Moor rd youth club. pps; lot ,s great memorys all though one off the saddest was watching the great Nev wherry doing his last spot at the painted lady alldayer before his tragic accident later that night ,.

===========

That's sad news about Rug Bowers, met him and Phil Atlee at the Windmill all those years ago. R.I.P.

very sad news indeed about rug bowers we were at school together and got into soul music at moor road youth club in the early 70s , during 1974 we started travelling to blackpool mecca to the highland room we didnt have cars in them days so it was coach or train and have many happy memories of great weekends and occasional trips to wigan but we were mecca boys foremost and we both started collecting records at the same time.rug also got in with the kettering crowd and used to go samanthas sheffield friday nights and became good mates with keith (wilkie) wilkinson. rug started djing about 1975 to begin with at local nights rock foundation - rushden and at various nights in kettering and later 78ish myself ,rug and sid clayton ran the great nights at the queen victoria in rushden

it was around this time that rug started playing lester tipton -this wont change - la beat, to us at the time this was the holy grail of northern soul and along with things like joseph moore - marvlus , montclairs - arch he had some great records , and started dj ing at the st ives allnighters , rug never lost his love for the music and was so thrilled the night in 1990 when we met lou ragland when he was touring we had a great evening with lou at john smiths house in northampton. i lost touch with rug, but about 18 months ago was out with tes rider and rug walked into the pub we were at came and sat with us and was just like old times chatting about records and artists as keen as ever . his favorite singer was linda jones and he had every lp and single she recorded . rest in peace mate

Edited by tony parker

Yes mate very sad , great memorys the windmill grew up in that street glassbrook rd , luckly for some of us we are alive & able to continue the dream off sharing the this great music & long may it continue regards john ps one of are lads kev core ex Kettering as a laugh with me about the night they the kettering soulies came over on a double decker to sort the Rushden lads out at Moor rd youth club. pps; lot ,s great memorys all though one off the saddest was watching the great Nev wherry doing his last spot at the painted lady alldayer before his tragic accident later that night ,.

hi john hows is it in sunny oz , say hello to kev core so he was one of the b#####ds

who came over to moor road remember going outside the club to con front them. there was about 20 of us at what looked like 200 of them so we legged it that must have been 1974

Guest kid mohair
We don`t need another do please,rare or not the country is swamped with soul nites\ niters, overplayed oldies or same old, we tend to stay far away from, but thats just us , i know loads of people that go hoping to hear and dance to them, their choice. we do our research and go to events which appeals to us ,our choice,but saying that, we went to st ives and had a great time and some of them oldies were durasic, once a year is enough for us. :thumbsup:
Guest rushden

G, day Tony good mate ,I remember the night well , i was giving a local lass Sue payne a biology lesson in montagu st, when the car got wind burn with u lot running past ,kev told me they hatchets & shotguns , i think running was a good move ha.. Kev core is one of the stars off the australian soul scene with is knowlege & desire to play something different, one of his biggest loves now is beat ballads along side r/b & is djing for queensland at the coming australian allnighter in Melbourne regards john