Heywood Civic

A brief review of my visit to Heywood Civic Centre, Heywood, Lancs3-11-06

For those who have not been to the venue, its perfectly suited to hold soul nights or even a niter, plenty of car park space, very easy to find, great large dancefloor, plenty of tables around the edges, a raised level with more seating, bar and a sales area, like a smaller version of Middleton Civic's main room.

£5 door tax, reasonable bar prices and friendly staff. Great sound system though they had problems with the mike for most of the night and anyone who spoke sounded like they were gargling with gravel!

We arrived around 8.15 set the sales pitch up, grabbed a drink and enjoyed a few tunes, started to scribble down some of the better tracks played (in my opinion)

So...early doors Steve & Tony played...Jean Dushon - Lennox, Mitty Collier -My Party, Jay Lewis - Should I Come back, Cissy Houston - Janus, Percy Sledge - Heart of a Child, plus oldies & Motown standards

One of the guest DJs did not turn up for his spot, so Tony played a few early RnB tunes which is generally not my cup of tea, one in particular was pure rock n roll 'Baa Baa Thomas'? which sounded like a very early Little Richard tune (not sure of the title but it made me want to rush out and hire a Teddy Boy outfit)

Anyway, it cleared the floor..... Then back to Northern with Pat Lewis - Cant Shake it Loose, DD Sharp - Standing in the need of Love, Jackie Wilson - I've Lost You, Tony Clarke - Landslide (packed the floor), Jean Carn - If you want to go back (lovely 70s) Sapphires - Gotta Have you love, Tommy Neal, Solomon Burke - Cry to me, and lots of other oldies and Motown.

Soul Sam was on next and played it very safe, Gayle Adams (God I hate that Foo++in record so much, Bill Harris, Motherlode, Harold Melvin - Prayin, Philip Mitchell - Im so Happy, Otis Clay - Only way is up, Marvin - Love starved heart, Alfie Davison, Margaret Littles, I have to admit I expected Sam to be a bit more adventurous, apart from Margaret Littles most people could have thrown that lot together!

This has the potential to be a very successful and well attended event, I know Steve the promoter wants to include a few lesser known tracks that are worthy of plays but it still seems to be generally an oldies event and not offering much that is different to other venues.

Quite a good crowd in with a few on the dancefloor most of the evening I did speak to a few people at the event and some were disappointed with the music, this is not a dig at anyone, just my opinion. Just try to mix it up a bit more (everyone has to hear something for the first time.....)

Its a shame it was quiet early doors as I thought some of the better 45s were played to only a handful of people. Later when it was busy it seemed to be the same old same old again.

The last half hour was pretty good, Tina Britt - Look, Liz Lands, Tams- Take away, Erma Franklin - Abracadabra etc but by this time the crowd had thinned down a lot.

Anyway I managed to find someone who happened to have some Valium and took 10, so im calm now and should be ok till tuesday lunchtime I sold a few 45s, traded a few, had a good natter with people I hadn't seen in ages.

So, all in all an ok night but plenty of room for improvement in my opinion. Next event Friday 1st December

regardsPaul

Edited by soul45s
  • Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

yea, have to agree with you on the mic thing - it was a bit fuzzy and then Tony seemed to sort it out but then as soon as Soul Sam started talking into it again, it went back to how it was before lmao!

i also have to agree with you on the tunes - i was slightly dissapointed - not as many good tunes as last month for some reason. i can't name any tunes or what tell you what they were called - i just know that i didn't like the sound of most of em. if i think it's a good tune i'll dance and if not i won't (and some of the tunes i didn't like were what Soul Sam was playing).

regarding the bit where you are on about the venue - i totally agree with you - it DOES have the potential to be a top night - massive floor, cheapish on door and bar, plenty of seating, CLEAN toilets - not scabby ones - there's nothing worse then there being a wet floor in the cubicle and your pants falling into it all - urrgghhhh! there is even space for peeps who wanna sell stuff - but then i've realised all this before and mentioned it in a previous post too.

still had a good night tho as i always do there - had a laugh and a chat with friendly peeps which is always good imo!

wAvy

A brief review of my visit to Heywood Civic Centre, Heywood, Lancs3-11-06

For those who have not been to the venue, its perfectly suited to hold soul nights or even a niter, plenty of car park space, very easy to find, great large dancefloor, plenty of tables around the edges, a raised level with more seating, bar and a sales area, like a smaller version of Middleton Civic's main room.

£5 door tax, reasonable bar prices and friendly staff. Great sound system though they had problems with the mike for most of the night and anyone who spoke sounded like they were gargling with gravel!

We arrived around 8.15 set the sales pitch up, grabbed a drink and enjoyed a few tunes, started to scribble down some of the better tracks played (in my opinion)

So...early doors Steve & Tony played...Jean Dushon - Lennox, Mitty Collier -My Party, Jay Lewis - Should I Come back, Cissy Houston - Janus, Percy Sledge - Heart of a Child, plus oldies & Motown standards

One of the guest DJs did not turn up for his spot, so Tony played a few early RnB tunes which is generally not my cup of tea, one in particular was pure rock n roll 'Baa Baa Thomas'? which sounded like a very early Little Richard tune (not sure of the title but it made me want to rush out and hire a Teddy Boy outfit)

Anyway, it cleared the floor..... Then back to Northern with Pat Lewis - Cant Shake it Loose, DD Sharp - Standing in the need of Love, Jackie Wilson - I've Lost You, Tony Clarke - Landslide (packed the floor), Jean Carn - If you want to go back (lovely 70s) Sapphires - Gotta Have you love, Tommy Neal, Solomon Burke - Cry to me, and lots of other oldies and Motown.

Soul Sam was on next and played it very safe, Gayle Adams (God I hate that Foo++in record so much, Bill Harris, Motherlode, Harold Melvin - Prayin, Philip Mitchell - Im so Happy, Otis Clay - Only way is up, Marvin - Love starved heart, Alfie Davison, Margaret Littles, I have to admit I expected Sam to be a bit more adventurous, apart from Margaret Littles most people could have thrown that lot together!

This has the potential to be a very successful and well attended event, I know Steve the promoter wants to include a few lesser known tracks that are worthy of plays but it still seems to be generally an oldies event and not offering much that is different to other venues.

Quite a good crowd in with a few on the dancefloor most of the evening I did speak to a few people at the event and some were disappointed with the music, this is not a dig at anyone, just my opinion. Just try to mix it up a bit more (everyone has to hear something for the first time.....)

Its a shame it was quiet early doors as I thought some of the better 45s were played to only a handful of people. Later when it was busy it seemed to be the same old same old again.

The last half hour was pretty good, Tina Britt - Look, Liz Lands, Tams- Take away, Erma Franklin - Abracadabra etc but by this time the crowd had thinned down a lot.

Anyway I managed to find someone who happened to have some Valium and took 10, so im calm now and should be ok till tuesday lunchtime I sold a few 45s, traded a few, had a good natter with people I hadn't seen in ages.

So, all in all an ok night but plenty of room for improvement in my opinion. Next event Friday 1st December

regardsPaul

Dear Mr. Turpin

All in all Paul, a reasonably well balanced account of the night.

Sam did play it a little safe but I think it is fair to say that you can only play to the folks on the floor and most of those there on Friday prefer to hear stuff they know.

I think that Steve has got the format basically right, that lesser known, underplayed for the first 11/2 to2 hours -guests in for the next 2 or so then finish off with the known stuff and try to slip in the odd different tune while the ale is in full effect.

Anyway " A Change Is Gonna Come" but "It's A Long Road To Happiness" a few more open minds like yours wouldn't go amiss.

Constructive criticism is always welcome--- onwards and upwards :ohmy:

All the best mate

Your Very Good Friend

MYRA

re: an 8 year old to sort it out - well that figures lol! :P

i thought it was your camera anyway Tony!?

no one even got a pic of me booooo hooooo :D

typical,

i go on hols and i'm never on any;

i go to Northern Soul nights and im never on any;

i go on day outings and i'm never on any!

that's the trouble with bein David Bailey's right hand girl u'kno! :yes::yes::yes:

either that or i'm just an ugly bint! lmao! :yes: (NOT. A. WORD. U'HEAR!) tongue.gif

wAvy

Edited by wAvy

typical,

i go on hols and i'm never on any;

i go to Northern Soul nights and im never on any;

i go on day outings and i'm never on any!

wAvy

err...just a thought wAvy....but if you're not on any photos...maybe you imagined it and it's all been just a dream :thumbsup: .... :thumbsup:

Source Advert