soulmac

• Replies 13
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I think I started saying it was Joyce Bond soon as I heard it years ago to be honest but only because she was recording for Island same time as him. Have you noticed on this bootleg, they have transplanted the beginning of the usual version, then intercut it with the EP version..very clumsily as well. Totally pointless.

Social source share

Legend always had it as Millie Small,but who knows?

Speaking of Jackie Edwards picked up one by him on aladdin-Hush/I am in love with you no more.

Anybody any info??

link

It's definitely not Millie. Her voice is unmistakeable.

I've had all jackie edwards singles on Aladdin and most are slow ballads, that is to say I don't remember any of them having much potential. Still got a couple, will have a look.

Social source share

Heard it played on tape of Searling show bout 3 years ago by one of his guests from French ep & announced as Joyce Bond, assumed she was named on sleeve ? Guess not then ?

Social source share

Probably just some unknown negress then, as they were known in those days. (And still are in most of France)

Keep looking Pete.

Edited by Jack Barnes
Social source share

I've had all jackie edwards singles on Aladdin and most are slow ballads, that is to say I don't remember any of them having much potential.  Still got a couple, will have a look.

link

Pete

Jackie Edwards - I Don't Know / The Same One. Aladdin WI-611.

"I Don't Know" is the "B" side which i've played out a few times.

soulmac.

Social source share

Here's a scan of the French Vogue EP which I bought from Pete Smith a couple of years ago for £120 (I think?). Always fancied but never had a UK original of the song which was a favourite of mine from the late Wigan days. So when I saw it on Pete's lists I was curious to hear the duet version, something a little different I thought. He played it down the phone and the deal was done. There's a hand written date on the label which reads 5-1-67.

derek

On a poignant note whilst DJing at the Notts Union (Fri 5 Nov) Derek Allen came up to the decks for a chat and he commented on the Jackie Edwards EP which I'd pulled out for consideration. Actually played it and name checked him for it. Mister Allen was a gentle soul indeed.

post-1224-1102287061_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!