Dealers

Soulsmith

Which dealers consistently offer records at the most reasonable prices ie prices to sell quickly? Assuming of course that service & record grading are good.

Are you more likey to get a record cheaper on one dealers auction site than another?

Most of the chat on here about auction prices often refers to John Manships. I was wondering if maybe people ignored others like for example Pat Bradys and you were more likely to pick uo a 'bargain' there?

Col.

As a foot note I was also wondering how many people make a full time (or at least its their primary source of income) from buying & selling rare soul / northern soul? 10-20?

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

imho no such thing as a bargain from a dealer , as most of the dealers are doing it as there main source of income, there generally looking for maximum profit, not meaning to demean them as i know a lot of them put hours of hard work into sourcing records and offering a good service to there customers ,so a lot of collecters are more than willing to pay there prices, but to be honest the only place i find bargains is on evil bay

Social source share

john powney is great for bargin prices , trouble is they have all gone usually by the time i get the post.

doug banks £40

tempos countdown yellow label £20 or £40 cant remember but does it matter at these prices

drake and ensolids on alteen £30ish

goldmine cds 7-50 delivered

kent cds 8-50 delivered

cant grumble except for the postal service taking too long to deliver the lists

he says even some dealers buy from him and then resell on but he doesnt like them doing this

Social source share

john powney is great for bargin prices , trouble is they have all gone usually by the time i get the post.

doug banks £40

tempos countdown yellow label £20 or £40 cant remember but does it matter at these prices

drake and ensolids on alteen £30ish

goldmine cds 7-50 delivered

kent cds 8-50 delivered

cant grumble except for the postal service taking too long to deliver the lists

he says even some dealers buy from him and then resell on but he doesnt like them doing this

does John do his lists by e-mail?

Social source share

no its by post no internet at all , so its a gamble as to when you get them

then also its if you can get through on the phone , but he does always ring you back if you leave a message , a couple of lists back he had 23 messages at 8-40 and he only starts answering the phone at 8-30.

i thought i had got lucky when i phoned last week for a copy of the magicians "keep your hands of my baby" on villa for £15 and i got through to john at 8-30 after a couple of rings only to be told that most other people had recieved the list the day before and most of the 45s had gone :D

Social source share

i thought i had got lucky when i phoned last week for a copy of the magicians "keep your hands of my baby" on villa for £15 and i got through to john at 8-30 after a couple of rings only to be told that most other people had recieved the list the day before and most of the 45s had gone :D

You could have had that off my £5 list this week!

Social source share

Dont wanna sound like i've got my nose up your a**e pete, you know i hate you really :thumbsup:

But Pete is one of the best dealers going for honest pricing, fast delivery and beleive it or not, very friendly service :D

Very rarely i buy from the main 'web' dealers, most of my junk comes from ebay.

Social source share

i missed this as ive not been looking at lists as i was on a self imposed vinyl buying ban for a few weeks as i need to top up my bank balance :thumbsup: as ive been spending too much lately

just my luck really.

Know the feeling!! How many times do we say NO not tonight,gonna be strong,walk on by the boxes,xmas coming and all that,honest love im all done for two months,NO MORE,IM CLEAN......yeah right :D
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

but most of the good Northern soul or top ones are highly pricey and the chances of getting these cheap must be if they are poorer conditon like good copy £5 the near mint copy £60

Social source share

In the last 24 hours I've sold:

george freeman - down and out - valiant demo £140

tobi lark - challenge my love - topper £160

ad libs - new york in the dark - agp mint £200

freddie north - the hurt - ric demo £120

jimmy beaumont - you got too much - bang demo £100

pretty reasonable I'd say!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

In the last 24 hours I've sold:

george freeman - down and out - valiant demo £140

tobi lark - challenge my love - topper £160

ad libs - new york in the dark - agp mint £200

freddie north - the hurt - ric demo £120

jimmy beaumont - you got too much - bang demo £100

pretty reasonable I'd say!

Extremely! Pete gets my vote as the person that its easiest to deal with out of everyone, and charges good prices and delivers a great service. I'm off to wash my nose. blush.gif

Social source share

imho no such thing as a bargain from a dealer , as most of the dealers are doing it as there main source of income, there generally looking for maximum profit, not meaning to demean them as i know a lot of them put hours of hard work into sourcing records and offering a good service to there customers ,so a lot of collecters are more than willing to pay there prices, but to be honest the only place i find bargains is on evil bay

Your right Tony, many people don't concider some of the cost involved running as a full time business. We have over 200,000 pieces in stock most of these 12" or albums, that means warehouse cost every month. Then VAT on sales, company tax, insurance. Don't want people feeling sorry for us, but you have to concider, that you are often comparing guys that sell as a sideline or from home and fly a little under the radar, when it comes to tax and vat, with others that run larger opperation with all the costs, cuz they can't hide from the tax. Nearly all are sales are paypal or credit cards and so are auditable to the last penny. Not complaining, I'm happy, it just fact. Also we buy most of our stock from the US, thats hard work and not cheap in total. Plus you have to entre the odd crackhouse, and generally not nice places to find so of those elusive tunes and even have the odd gun pointed at you.

Social source share

Your right Tony, many people don't concider some of the cost involved running as a full time business. We have over 200,000 pieces in stock most of these 12" or albums, that means warehouse cost every month. Then VAT on sales, company tax, insurance. Don't want people feeling sorry for us, but you have to concider, that you are often comparing guys that sell as a sideline or from home and fly a little under the radar, when it comes to tax and vat, with others that run larger opperation with all the costs, cuz they can't hide from the tax. Nearly all are sales are paypal or credit cards and so are auditable to the last penny. Not complaining, I'm happy, it just fact. Also we buy most of our stock from the US, thats hard work and not cheap in total. Plus you have to entre the odd crackhouse, and generally not nice places to find so of those elusive tunes and even have the odd gun pointed at you.

PS this can also be applied to DJ's some charge more like Sam cuz it's his income not a hobby. Also he's a fine top DJ, but all the same he pays tax on income has traveling exspenses etc, etc. But pricing is important. John Anderson gave me some good advice when I started. Price to sell, forget ego about having great tunes on your shelf, you want them off the shelf and out the door. Don't worry if something sells for more via someone else than you have sold for. Decide what you need to make on each record and then never look back, be happy it's sold.

Social source share

Which dealers consistently offer records at the most reasonable prices ie prices to sell quickly? Assuming of course that service & record grading are good.

Are you more likey to get a record cheaper on one dealers auction site than another?

Most of the chat on here about auction prices often refers to John Manships. I was wondering if maybe people ignored others like for example Pat Bradys and you were more likely to pick uo a 'bargain' there?

Col.

As a foot note I was also wondering how many people make a full time (or at least its their primary source of income) from buying & selling rare soul / northern soul? 10-20?

e bay got to be the best,eample the arabians on le mans £70, come to daddy!!!!!!
Social source share

It's my only income. When it gets really desperate I dip into my reggae collection and sell some of those.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

You could have had that off my £5 list this week!

I have one in my sales box for £10-00

DES PARKER :thumbsup: and a lovely bloke too

Des and Pete Smith :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!