Bobby Bland - Call On Me

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...I've just spent the past two hours searching for 'my UK Vocalion copy' of Bobby Bland's "Call On Me", only to be told, by a pal and five minutes ago, that it never came out on a UK 45 and that I'm suffering yet another attack of the 'middle aged stupids'.

I could have sworn black is white I have this on Vocalion - in fact I do have two copies on Duke, but that's not the point - so who's right, me or the other knowall?

I don't mind being proved wrong, just need to put my mind at ease one way or t'other!

Ta

TONE :D

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

...I've just spent the past two hours searching for 'my UK Vocalion copy' of Bobby Bland's "Call On Me", only to be told, by a pal and five minutes ago, that it never came out on a UK 45 and that I'm suffering yet another attack of the 'middle aged stupids'.

I could have sworn black is white I have this on Vocalion - in fact I do have two copies on Duke, but that's not the point - so who's right, me or the other knowall?

I don't mind being proved wrong, just need to put my mind at ease one way or t'other!

Ta

Not on a single Tony. I don't have the track listings for the two Vocallion EPs though...

Godz

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Not on a single Tony. I don't have the track listings for the two Vocallion EPs though...

Godz

....Cheers, Godz. Wouldn't be the first UK 45 I've hallucinated over the years, but I was really convinced that I had that one - perhaps because it was a double sided US Pop Top 30 hit and, thus, an unusual thing not to get a UK release (esp. when you consider how many of Bobby's smaller hits did get a UK release, on Vogue or Vocalion)...

It must therefore be one of the biggest of the classic 60s R & B hits not to have gained a contemporaneous UK 45 release, wouldn't y'all say?

Thanks again, mate...

Social source share

Hang on Tone! I just googled and found this:

https://website.lineone.net/~vinylblues/pages/vocal.htm

Different numbering system so i wonder if it's a foreign Vocalion release. On your point, it's often interesting to look at hits in the US that remained unreleased here - and flops that got released in unlikely countries too.

Why is nothing ever simple? :D

Godz

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hang on Tone! I just googled and found this:

https://website.lineone.net/~vinylblues/pages/vocal.htm

Different numbering system so i wonder if it's a foreign Vocalion release. On your point, it's often interesting to look at hits in the US that remained unreleased here - and flops that got released in unlikely countries too.

Why is nothing ever simple? :D

Godz

Hi Godz,

No, this is the UK Vocalion album number. I definitely used to have that, had a fantastic orange sleeve, but I got rid of it years ago in favour of the much more common US version with its terrible cut and paste graphics of BB and a telephone.

A dumb thing to do, if you ask me... :thumbsup:

TONE

Social source share

Ta

Tone ,Im sure i've seen this on a british(or at least solid centre) 7",dont know ifit was 45 or ep,if memory serves it was Dave Alcock who had the one i saw.Salmon
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tone ,Im sure i've seen this on a british(or at least solid centre) 7",dont know ifit was 45 or ep,if memory serves it was Dave Alcock who had the one i saw.Salmon

Somewhere in my mess I have one of the two UK Vocalion EPs, it has "Blind Man", "Black Night" and (I seem to recall) both parts of "Ain't Doing Too Bad" on it.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the other EP has "Call On Me", "That's The Way Love Is" and two others on it - which may well be what you saw in Dave Alcock's possession, Salmon.

Anyway, I do appreciate the help from you and Godz - from George Austen's Vocalion listing in the link that Godz put up, it certainly seems that a UK Vocalion 45 is all in my mind.

How odd, as I said before, that Vocalion should pass on releasing a single of one of Bobby's biggest US hits when they later put out flop US 45s by the likes of Don Fletcher, Lisa Richards and Little Mr. Lee, all from Duke/Peacock...

Thanks again, lads...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Somewhere in my mess I have one of the two UK Vocalion EPs, it has "Blind Man", "Black Night" and (I seem to recall) both parts of "Ain't Doing Too Bad" on it.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the other EP has "Call On Me", "That's The Way Love Is" and two others on it

TONE :thumbsup:

I have a different Vocalion EP than the one you list Tony. However, it does not have Call on Me' on it - track listing is Yield Not To Temptation; How Does A Cheating Woman Feel; Blue Moon & who will The Next Fool Be. VEP. 170153

Mike

Social source share

No, this is the UK Vocalion album number. I definitely used to have that, had a fantastic orange sleeve, but I got rid of it years ago in favour of the much more common US version with its terrible cut and paste graphics of BB and a telephone.

TONE

Tony - I think your mind is playing tricks on you with this also :thumbsup:

The great orange cover is the Vocalion 'Ain't Nothing you Can Do' album. This has the same image of Bobby as the EP I mentioned in my pevious post although black & white

The Vocalion 'Call On Me' album cover is black with two reverse images of Bobby - the graphics like the images are red and blue.

You are right about the US 'Call On Me' album and the telephone images :thumbup:

Mike

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I have a different Vocalion EP than the one you list Tony. However, it does not have Call on Me' on it - track listing is Yield Not To Temptation; How Does A Cheating Woman Feel; Blue Moon & who will The Next Fool Be. VEP. 170153

Mike

Ah well. bang goes that theory, then :thumbsup: Cheers for the info, Mike.

TONE

Social source share

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the other EP has "Call On Me", "That's The Way Love Is" and two others on it - which may well be what you saw in Dave Alcock's possession, Salmon.

Anyway, I do appreciate the help from you and Godz - from George Austen's Vocalion listing in the link that Godz put up, it certainly seems that a UK Vocalion 45 is all in my mind.

How odd, as I said before, that Vocalion should pass on releasing a single of one of Bobby's biggest US hits when they later put out flop US 45s by the likes of Don Fletcher, Lisa Richards and Little Mr. Lee, all from Duke/Peacock...

Thanks again, lads...

TONE :thumbup:

Which makes it all the more amazing that "Call On Me" got a 45 release in Australia on the "W & G" label in 1964 !!! And then W & G also found a way to release Donald Jenkins and the Delighters "Somebody Help Me" as well !!!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!