Dean Parrish on a commercial

Dayo

Saw Beauty and the Beast at the local Roxy yesterday.  In amongst the ads before the film commenced was a rather forgettable promo for milk (I think) that featured a very familiar strings and flute led riff with a slightly classical feel.  Just as my addled brain was thinking "hang on, I know that..." in sailed the vocal: "You know I'm going, I'm on my way....."

It was a re-recording, not the original.

Forgive me if this one has been spotted before.  

The film was rather good by the way.

Social source share

The Arla lactose free milk ad, that features IOMW has been around a while now, I was gonna mention it a few months ago when we were talking about the Eggs ad but couldn't find a YT link to it.

Interesting to hear it is a different version, I hadn't picked up on that! Carmine Appice eh? Blind Faith among other stuff...

Social source share

48 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

Glad to see my old mate Margie Clarke getting the voice over gig. A great actress who I brought into Radio some time ago. 

As for the ad....it's ok and fairly unremarkable. 

Yeah, these retro sounds are gonna get used in adverts end of. It doesn't really bother me much. I just hate adverts period, they don't work on me at all, I don't do consumerism in that way and seek out the things I buy by myself, me having to endure an advert has the exact opposite effect, it puts me off getting the product. 

At least it's a royalty for someone.

Social source share

13 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

Glad to see my old mate Margie Clarke getting the voice over gig. A great actress who I brought into Radio some time ago. 

As for the ad....it's ok and fairly unremarkable. 

She was brilliant in Ian McShane's "Soul Survivors" tv drama/comedy. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

The Arla lactose free milk ad, that features IOMW has been around a while now, I was gonna mention it a few months ago when we were talking about the Eggs ad but couldn't find a YT link to it.

Interesting to hear it is a different version, I hadn't picked up on that! Carmine Appice eh? Blind Faith among other stuff...

Are you thinking of Vanilla Fudge? Ginger Baker was in Blind Faith before forming his Air Force with half of London's jazz scene. Appice did a long stint with Rod Stewart, and was in a power trio with Jeff Beck.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Dayo said:

I can't stand cow's milk anyway!  

I think the Arlo milk ad with IOMW is for their Lactose free stuff, could be wrong about that though, as well as...

3 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Are you thinking of Vanilla Fudge? Ginger Baker was in Blind Faith before forming his Air Force with half of London's jazz scene. Appice did a long stint with Rod Stewart, and was in a power trio with Jeff Beck.

Yeah you're right I was getting confused between Beck, Bogert and Appice and Blind Faith, but yeah you're right about Vanilla Fudge, which I have heard of but don't know their stuff!

Social source share

Me neither, it's a long time since I was exploring that side of music. From memory they were part of an outgrowth of harder-edged North American blues rock groups that took some inspiration from Hendrix and Cream - Steppenwolf and Mountain spring to mind, and with Mountain there was significant overlap with Cream, as keyboardist Felix Pappalardi played on some later Cream tracks ("Badge", also featuring George Harrison and a sample of sorts of "Here comes the sun"), while Jack Bruce went off to form another power trio West Bruce and Laing with two ex-members of Mountain. 

The relative cosiness - as well as openness - of the emerging rock music scene during the 60s and 70s comes across very strongly in Robbie Robertson's recently published autobiography. Of course while there was a fair bit of musical experimentation it helped that there was an even bigger amount of substance experimentation. It's a miracle anyone from that era remembers anything.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mickey Finn said:

Me neither, it's a long time since I was exploring that side of music. From memory they were part of an outgrowth of harder-edged North American blues rock groups that took some inspiration from Hendrix and Cream - Steppenwolf and Mountain spring to mind, and with Mountain there was significant overlap with Cream, as keyboardist Felix Pappalardi played on some later Cream tracks ("Badge", also featuring George Harrison and a sample of sorts of "Here comes the sun"), while Jack Bruce went off to form another power trio West Bruce and Laing with two ex-members of Mountain. 

The relative cosiness - as well as openness - of the emerging rock music scene during the 60s and 70s comes across very strongly in Robbie Robertson's recently published autobiography. Of course while there was a fair bit of musical experimentation it helped that there was an even bigger amount of substance experimentation. It's a miracle anyone from that era remembers anything.

Apologies for the thread drift but...

Yes, thinking back about it, the only thing I do know about Vanilla Fudge is that the greatest ever 70s band YES did a tour with them and VF had the most advanced PA system available at the time and when the tour was over YES used their proceeds from the tour to buy the PA off've VF, YES being the greatest ever group of the 70s were very conscious about being ground breaking with their sound systems as well as their massively innovative studio engineering process and their impossible to rival/equal musical innovation.

Back on topic I'm surprised that Carmine Appice remade IOMW with Dean Parrish, as I say I hadn't noticed any difference but then I've only seen the actual ad the once, on some Sky channel that I obviously don't watch often. Was IOMW a relatively successful record outside of the Northern scene?

Social source share

This is the kind of forum where you can make claims like the above and feel pretty safe from having heavy objects lobbed at you by disgusted fans of Genesis, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Principal Edward's Magic Theatre, Status Quo, Wigan's Ovation ...

Didn't know about the VF connection. I remember as a youngster reading Record Mirror, which I bought mainly for James Hamilton's roundup of club and disco tunes, and scratching my head at all the fuss in the letters page about Anderson and Wakeman being replaced by Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes of the Buggles. Who the blazes are these guys? But as we learned during the 80s, Trevor Horn certainly knew a few things about sound. And Jon Anderson's 1982 "Animation" LP was pretty good too. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!