Carolyn Crawford

Guest Lady Maverick

Guest Lady Maverick

I am familiar with MY SMILE IS JUST A FROWN and then I hear she is the vocalist on Bohannon's LET'S START THE DANCE. Anymore info and is she still around? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I am familiar with MY SMILE IS JUST A FROWN and then I hear she is the vocalist on Bohannon's LET'S START THE DANCE. Anymore info and is she still around? Thanks in advance!

I think she only had three releases on Motown

"Forget About Me" / "Devil In His Heart" (1963)

"My Smile Is Just a Frown Turned Upside Down" / " I'll Come running"(1964)

"When Someone's Good to You" / "My Heart" (1964)

I think "i'll come running" is the best of the bunch

Social source share

Move you lose - carolyn crawford -

11095 refosoul

Think this might be the one Simon meant on Philly Int ?????

Edited by Neece
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

..."I'll Come Running" was one of the first import 45s I ever owned, bought from the Clifton Record Shop in Bristol in 1968-9, along with "I Miss You Baby" by Marv Johnson, "A Thrill A Moment" by Kim Weston, "Too Hurt To Cry" by the Darnells and Frances Nero's "Keep On Loving Me".

I nearly 'bout wore its grooves white on my old Dansette. It's one of the few records I have ever had to upgrade through sheer wear and tear.

I still have my original copies of the other four singles, which must have meant that I didn't think they were as good :thumbsup:

"Forget About Me" is also really fab, and I'm sure Pete (and I!) would think better of "When Someone's Good To You" if it didn't have such top-tier acts to follow....

CC cut enough material at PIR to fill an album and more, but the likelihood of us ever hearing more than the three singles that came out over a 15 month period is infinitessimally small - more's the pity....

TONE :thumbup:

Social source share

I think some of the guys on the soulful detroit forum have had contact with her 'cos a mate showed me her business card recently. he was over there last summer, meeting tobi lark & a guy from the magic tones as well. I'll ask him for some more info...

cheers,

macca

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Awesome! Love that track! It does sound like it was recorded in Philly!

I think some of the guys on the soulful detroit forum have had contact with her 'cos a mate showed me her business card recently. he was over there last summer, meeting tobi lark & a guy from the magic tones as well. I'll ask him for some more info...

cheers,

macca

Hey macca!

I also post on that forum and I have been asking about her but haven't had much of a response...thank you! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Awesome! Love that track! It does sound like it was recorded in Philly!

It`s on a PI 12" ( reissue )but im sure Steve G who posts on here from time to time managed to pick it up on a 45. He played it on his show on the soul 24/7 station and said at the time that the 45 was very hard to pick uo. I think too, (ile have to check later as im about to go to work:-( ) that there`s an artical about her in one of the "In Basement" mags??

Trev

Edited by Neece
Social source share

"A Nice Feeling" on Mercury was a big fave on the jazz funk/disco scene in the late 70s.

Has had a bit of a revival in certain quarters in the last eighteen months or so.- QUALLIDEE!!!!

Also check out "Just Got To Be More Careful and Good & Plenty - both on PIR - well worth a listen - & their both as cheap as a nylon toupee. .

Edited by epic
Social source share

It`s on a PI 12" ( reissue )but im sure Steve G who posts on here from time to time managed to pick it up on a 45. He played it on his show on the soul 24/7 station and said at the time that the 45 was very hard to pick uo. I think too, (ile have to check later as im about to go to work:-( ) that there`s an artical about her in one of the "In Basement" mags??

Trev

Yes Neece a full interview and discography is featured in "In The Basement" No 34 May-July 2004

Well woth checking this magazine out Maverick,

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Social source share

Yes Neece a full interview and discography is featured in "In The Basement" No 34 May-July 2004

Well woth checking this magazine out Maverick,

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Its a great article. Ian Levine gets exonerated in it which is very interesting!

P.S I have a scan of 'Have A Nice Day'. the flip of 'Coming On Strong' on page 3 of my photo album. I think it is album only in the US. Came out on 12" single in the UK. There's a scan of the later instrumental version on page 2!

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

No probs Maverick, do you know "A Touch Of Classic Soul"?

US publication (monthly) contact

Cheers Paul

Yes...I know Marc personally! :thumbsup:

I haven't gotten a chance to purchase a subscription as of yet but plan to this week!

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Its a great article. Ian Levine gets exonerated in it which is very interesting!

P.S I have a scan of 'Have A Nice Day'. the flip of 'Coming On Strong' on page 3 of my photo album. I think it is album only in the US. Came out on 12" single in the UK. There's a scan of the later instrumental version on page 2!

Groovy! Will check that out! I will also check out a subscription for IN THE BASEMENT...especially looking at that back issue on Carolyn Crawford!

Social source share

Trev

I'm pretty sure Karl Marthon from Sweden has 'You move you lose' on a 7". Hard to find, yes, and a brill tune.

Now why can't I get the soundclip to work??? :D I'm obviously logged in and at least I thought I had a validated account?

Edited by Helena
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

She is still singing. Indeed she is one of the backing vocalists on the Detroit sessions of 'A soulful Tale' along with Pree and Pat Lewis and features on 'Didn't I blow your mind' as an artist:

https://www.soulfultale.com/c_crawford.htm

I was lucky enough to meet her and the others in Detroit during the second week of recording this past March. I really showed my ignorance as I had no idea who was going to be there! She even gave me a kiss when she left for the evening. That and the hug from Pat Cosby I will never forget.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

An original WDJ of If You Move You Lose went on ebay about six or seven weeks back for relative peanuts. Keep searching, they're still out there...

BTW I don't think this is quite as good as "Careful" and wonder what the reaction to that particular 45 would be if the scarcity of both discs were transposed.

Social source share

An original WDJ of If You Move You Lose went on ebay about six or seven weeks back for relative peanuts. Keep searching, they're still out there...

I thought "You move you lose" where issue only? Found two copies cheap as chips of the issue earlier this year. Superb song!

Social source share

You guys are wonderful! Thanks!

Get in touch with Dave Moore he's on this list or go to the hitsville sight he saw her in Vegas she was in one of those Motown reviews doing backing also lookout for "My Heart" ace uptempo ballad

DJ

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Get in touch with Dave Moore he's on this list or go to the hitsville sight he saw her in Vegas she was in one of those Motown reviews doing backing also lookout for "My Heart" ace uptempo ballad

DJ

Thanks for everything! :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!