Imperial Ballroom Nelson -- book wanted

Roburt

As there have been quite a few threads on here recently about old UK soul venues, thought I'd post this ....

. . .  The Imperial Ballroom in Nelson had a long & interesting history.

The place started hitting the R&B trail after they  booked the Merseybeat groups (Beatles down) in the early 60's .... from the mid 60's to late 60's, they were booking all the top US acts (some times taking a touring yank soul act for the Saturday night normal session before the act moved on to play the Wheel later the same night).

ANYWAY, the place burnt down in the mid 70's, so it is long lost. BUT many of the old punters loved the place & as there was interest, a guy had a book published on the place a few years back. This was selling well and a 2nd updated print run was organised & took place.

. . . .   The book >>   Steve Chapple  -- ‘Goin’ Down Th’Imp’

The 2nd print version also seemed to be selling OK about 3 years back after the Lancs newspapers gave it a bit of publicity. Steve (from Burnley) was selling copies himself (on evilvay & the like) but the poor guy dropped dead suddenly. After that all the unsold copies of the book seemed to disappear (dumped maybe when his place was cleared).

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the book and any help SSers can provide would be much appreciated. I know library's in the Lancs area still have copies but none seem to have made it darn sauf.

NelsonImpBallroomMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now