Richard Selwood R.I.P.

Sad to say that I've only just found this out courtesy of Steve Smith, but Rich Selwood, lynchpin of the early days of the Rare Soul scene in Gloucestershire - and further afield - via his Wax Machine shop in Worcester Street, passed away at the very start of this year. Thanks Smithy for picking up on this...bad news indeed, but at least most of us had regained contact with him in recent years. R.I.P.

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• 3 years later...

Hi Jerry. You won't remember me, but I was a regular at Westfields for many years and remember you, and several others mentioned in you thread. Greg Piontek discos Friday night's were brilliant. Good friends of mine at the time were John Cucuirean, Dave Viles, Phil Gibbard, Graham Smith. I bought most of my records from the dear departed Rich Selwood. He was very kind to me as a 'new boy' and guided me to buying some classics. I couldn't prise Kenny Bernard out of his clutches though! Sorry to hear he's now passed. It was a great era and I'm fondly remembering him as I consider selling my soul collection. Best to all who were there.

Social source share

39 minutes ago, Angus Westfields said:

Hi Jerry. You won't remember me, but I was a regular at Westfields for many years and remember you, and several others mentioned in you thread. Greg Piontek discos Friday night's were brilliant. Good friends of mine at the time were John Cucuirean, Dave Viles, Phil Gibbard, Graham Smith. I bought most of my records from the dear departed Rich Selwood. He was very kind to me as a 'new boy' and guided me to buying some classics. I couldn't prise Kenny Bernard out of his clutches though! Sorry to hear he's now passed. It was a great era and I'm fondly remembering him as I consider selling my soul collection. Best to all who were there.

Hi Angus, welcome to the site

The following topic may be of interest as there has been some recent sad news here regarding Jerry

Social source share

I found this site way too late. Sadly we are of the age when our souls are needed elsewhere. I can't say I knew Jerry well, more by reputation as I was a few years his junior and it was only today that I found this site, joined and was suddenly confronted with names of the past, a great and influential era in my life and for all who enjoyed the soul scene back then and it seems, ever since.  Au devoir Hippo. Thanks for being a part of my memories. RIP. Thanks Mike for taking the time to reply, very kind of you.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!