6TS Cleethorpes 2017

As you will probably have heard, through that grapevine Marvin sang about, it is possible that this Cleethorpes weekender will be the last one.

I’ve found it increasingly hard to handle the organising of the event (never a strong point!) and it’s tougher every year to find acts worthy of our stage; also the competition from other weekenders is off the scale. Luckily you lot are a terrifically loyal bunch and loads of you have rebooked not knowing who the hell will be singing, but knowing you’re going to have a great time anyway – witness the triumph of the “No Nighters” weekender of 2014.

But 25 events and being 65 years of age for me this summer means I will see if I can sell the business on to a sympathetic soul, who can handle the running better than me. There would be no point it going to a top 500 set-up as there are enough of those and you folk wouldn’t be arsed to attend such a do at a place with so many great rare soul memories. I’ve had a few enquiries but been too rushed to attend to it properly; I’ll do that now so you can get the full story by June. I would be prepared to DJ and prop up the bar for any possible new promoter should they want me for a couple of years at least; hopefully that would make any handover more palatable to the regulars.

Like last year, this year we have gone back to an old favourite and friend, Sidney Barnes, who entertained us so fabulously way back in 2001. This time he is going to sing not only his own favourites like ‘I Hurt On The Other Side’, ‘Standing On Solid Ground’ and ‘Old Times’ but also a selection from his extensive songbook that he enriched our musical lives with. Songs like ‘Our Love Is In The Pocket’, ‘What Can I Do’-Billy Prophet, ‘Heart Trouble’ and ‘I’ll Bet You’ to name just a few.

I’ve been let down by a few acts this year and it looks like we won’t have a support act but with that mouth-watering selection, we don’t really need one.

I’ll do a flyer next week and start plugging it late as ever, but we know it’ll be memorable; this year above all. Let your friends know and these are the booking details. Same again.

Weekend Passes available

£59 each or £20 deposit from

Ady Croasdell

Cheques payable to

6TS Weekenders

10 Hatfield House

108 Great Titchfield St

London W1W 6SN

To pay by PayPal it’s £61 total or £20.75 deposit to ady.croasdell@btinternet.com

The on site accommodation is full, arrange your own at Thorpe Park next door www.haven.com/parks/lincolnshire/thorpe-park/ or B&Bs.

02076362622 or 07773019559 for enquiries

www.6ts.info for more info

• Helpful 2
Social source share

will be there AGAIN this year....such sad news....,but you can go out with your head held high ADY...every weekender i have been to have been fantastic...so gonna have a ball in june and hope  to have a pint with you ...and thanks for all the wonderful times i have had at CLEETHORPES....( including the bad heads )  kev farley...

Edited by staceys dad
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest LynnW

It will be a shame if no one takes this weekender on.    It's on @ a great time of the year (no hot water bottles needed!), the site is fab & Cleethorpes is a lovely place to visit.     

If it makes it easier for someone to take it on I wouldn't have any acts on (they must take some organising) & perhaps one of the Modern Soul gang could take on the Modern room & share the responsibility?      Just a thought!   Hope it carries on though!  🤔😉🌞

Social source share

What great times so many have enjoyed over the years, how fantastic to of seen those live artists perform on that stage and if it not for that we may never of had that pleasure, not just to see and hear them sing but a chance to meet them ask them questions, get an autograph. It doesn't just stop there either, for the artists them selves and with respect didn't make them rich but it did realise a dream in that what they did back in the day be it decades later now brought their lives full circle.

I know its not a competition but I can be proud to say ive never missed an event including the two they had in the first year, the only other person to match that is Roger Banks and they must be a few more. Ive DJ a couple of times, helped with security and been involved with some of the Artists, Little Ann being close to my heart was a special time in my life.

Maybe Ady feels he has got as far as he can go but one thing for sure he has done a fantastic job over the years and we thank him so very much.

So with God willing and a deposit paid I will see you all at week-ender

Gilly

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Welldone Ady for keeping it running this long. Quite a task to sort !

Cleethorpes 6ts weekenders have been the best weekenders i have ever attended  over the years.  

I still remember the early Great Yarmouth Vauxhall Holiday camp weekenders.  

The Norwich crowd will be there again this year and hopefully we can support the next likeminded organiser to take the reins.

regards Frank

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Uckfieldcanary

Without a doubt Cleethorpes is the number one Soul Weekend. After having attended the last sixteen I shall really miss it. For friends, fun and gluten free beer you can't beat it - as well as some fine music. Looking forward to June already, and let's hope there's a 2018!

Social source share

We were at the top of the Rockefeller Centre in New York last November and happened upon on a couple from Cleethorpes. They were amazed at our gushing admiration of their town and as I made mention of Mablethorpe, the chap said "that's one word I wasn't expecting to hear today".

I've had some great times at the 6TS Weekenders over the years and I do hope they continue perhaps with Ady in the consigliere role?

Lastly and if I've stroked my chin correctly, didn't Sidney sing lead vocal on (The Serenaders) 'Two lovers make one fool'? Maybe he could add that one to the list. If poss like..:)

Edited by Simsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!