Alvin Robinson/Shine- Sho Bout To Drive Me Wild - Pulsar

Richard

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

What a great record from back in the day and still have my copy,

Not had or seen a shine copy before, but with it being a promo copy on the video play clip you would assume that was the first issue and they decided on a name change when they went to the issue release unless anyone has seen a straight Shine issue (none Promo copy) have to say it looks very nice.

Social source share

My pulsar copy (issue)

She 'bout drive me wild record number 2408 underneath that1-43998 (matrix stamped 43998 3)

Empty Talk record number same 2408 number underneath 1-44004 ( matrix stamped number44004 5)

across bottom of label states manufactured by Mercury Record production inc

Don't know if that helps at all Richard

Social source share

A pure guess here .... BUT ... radio play was always really important for a cut.

Radio DJ's could be very funny animals. Some liked mainly playing tracks by known hit artists, others liked to spin obscure stuff or re-activate an old track that had failed on it's initial release. That way they could claim that they were responsible for making it a radio hit & then maybe a club / chart hit (sound familiar to NS club goers ??).

Alvin had been known since the start of the 60's and had enjoyed hits around 1964. By 68 / 69, his labels had started calling him Al Robinson, maybe coz he was by then considered 'old hat' or 'dead in the water' with fans (don't forget, in the US, if you had gone 12 months or so without a hit, your live gigs would start drying up & labels would lose interest in putting out new cuts by you).

So, JUST MAYBE, they put the SHINE artist name on the 45 to hide the fact that it was actually Alvin on the record. ALSO for this reason, I would guess that the Shine version came first.

Social source share

20 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

One of my favourite spins in recent years but assumed it was a fairly recent discovery - did it get much action back in the day? When / where / who from?

put this one down to Carl heard personally, he certainly popularised it anyway.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!