Bedford Modern Soul Allnighter

1 hour ago, rhino said:

seem to remember going to rock city nottingham to a few modern soul allnighters 

Was living in Worksop back then & I certainly went to loads of MS nites @ Rock City in the mid 80's. Can't remember too many niters, just ordinary sessions (8pm to midnight or 1am do's). Soul Sam & Arthur were regular spinners. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Roburt said:

Was living in Worksop back then & I certainly went to loads of MS nites @ Rock City in the mid 80's. Can't remember too many niters, just ordinary sessions (8pm to midnight or 1am do's). Soul Sam & Arthur were regular spinners. 

They alternated between Northern and Modern mid 80's, Dave Raistrick ran them.

Social source share

Modern Soul was a feature at most all-nighters in the 80s.  The Modern Soul crowd were still into most things and hadn't moved away totally.  Most nighters had at least one Modern Dj on the line up. 

Anyway I look forward to listening whilst driving round the country try this week, cheers Mark :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Roburt said:

Wasn't Jonathon running Rock City then? I remember him running the nights there and Dave Raistrick running the old Notts Palais nights. Jonathon lived in the flat in Rock City. Could be wrong it was a long time ago.

Pete

Social source share

24 minutes ago, neiljon31 said:

Here you go : couple more flyers 

im sure the Rock City do's were discussed previously on here : prob wider topic too. 

image.jpeg

Forgot all about it but was their when Tom Jackson was down.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Wasn't Jonathon running Rock City then? I remember him running the nights there and Dave Raistrick running the old Notts Palais nights. Jonathon lived in the flat in Rock City. Could be wrong it was a long time ago.

Pete

As far as I recall, YES, Jonathon was running things at Rock City back then. The place also staged some great live acts nights, remember the Frankie Beverly & Maze night in particular. His road crew guys were wandering round the venue ahead of the act going on. They were all wearing F B & M zip up jackets which none of them would part with.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Am I wrong in remembering James King doing a PA at Morecambe? Certainly remember taking a big stack of copies up there with Mark Sargeant just after it was released by Expansion. Still a brilliant record. All the Syncopate stuff was coming out about the same time - Lanier and Co 'Dancing in the Dark' was great. Dx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Talking to That Funky Kid Andy Whitmore tonight, he was one of the co-promoters of the Bedford nighters.  Seems to remember they did about three nighters?  Sure he will comment at some stage, I did mention the topic to him.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

48 minutes ago, chalky said:

Talking to That Funky Kid Andy Whitmore tonight, he was one of the co-promoters of the Bedford nighters.  Seems to remember they did about three nighters?  Sure he will comment at some stage, I did mention the topic to him.

I found that period really interesting for the underground soul scene. All though they were classed as a modern soul event, early and laid back seventies was gaining in popularity Andy Whitmore was really in to it, and Graeme Ellis ( who looks about 14) in the caption had also got a taste for it. So in reality the genre's were infact poles apart. To clarify this, I remember Bob Jones played Bobby Wilson's 'Don't shut me out' while Sam was playing the new Alexander o' neal LP!. Think I went to all three, if there was only three. Happy days, and for once not two hundred miles away. Thanks to Mark George for posting up the Set he played. I am pretty sure that a couple of those tracks have not visited these ears since. A great little caption in history.

Andy 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, still diggin said:

I found that period really interesting for the underground soul scene. All though they were classed as a modern soul event, early and laid back seventies was gaining in popularity Andy Whitmore was really in to it, and Graeme Ellis ( who looks about 14) in the caption had also got a taste for it. So in reality the genre's were infact poles apart. To clarify this, I remember Bob Jones played Bobby Wilson's 'Don't shut me out' while Sam was playing the new Alexander o' neal LP!. Think I went to all three, if there was only three. Happy days, and for once not two hundred miles away. Thanks to Mark George for posting up the Set he played. I am pretty sure that a couple of those tracks have not visited these ears since. A great little caption in history.

Andy 

Can you remember sitting outside in your Fiesta watching that bloke throw a dusbin through a bus shelter window????

Social source share

2 minutes ago, NCFC said:

Can you remember sitting outside in your Fiesta watching that bloke throw a dusbin through a bus shelter window????

Forgot about that. He had really been on the funny juice. Was my fiesta really capable of going more than fifty miles!, are you sure you did not imagine that? it certainly never went more than fifty miles per hour.:ohmy:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 08:13, chas said:

Didn't think the modern crowd were ever up for all nighters..living and learning.

Bedford was good , also remembering these fabulous allnighters in Huddersfield about 1985ish ?

From what i recall back then some of the crowd that attended these events were regular every weekend allnighter goers into Modern and Northern ..... we certainly were .

tfk:rofl:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by tfk
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...

I found an old  note ...  It says  "  What a fuck up  , Sound limiters will destroy  the scene "  

First time I had come across them .  Playing it loud is a big plus for going out after all

Andy's Bedford night could have been a massive thing .. maybe I was wrong but  hmmm?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!