Rarest of the rare allnighter 1994

Got me thinking, how many Rarest of the Rare Niters were there? All the ones I attended were wonderful, both for music/people, and also for the records I bought there - although I do remember many a conversation over a record box that dealers added 20-50% of the previous weekends prices just for the R-O-T-R  :thumbup:

Social source share

38 minutes ago, dean jj said:

I was responsible for the pre-nighter toilet though others had played soul records mid week before at the doo in the loo.

Hello Dean, trust all is well in the Peaks?

I never went to one, but how can you forget a name like Temple Of Convenience when the venue is a converted public toilet!!  The doo in the loo indeed!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

4 hours ago, Patto said:

Great clip mega tunes.Same here i thought they were a couple of years later.Top days Ritz bank holiday nighters,Keele,Winsford,Blackburn,Bretby.Probably the last period that the scene was still underground.

Yes, everybody knew each other, you'd see the same faces at all of those venues. There was probably only 500 of us into the scene then  in the whole country who went to  nighters.  Great times.!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mark R said:

Hello Dean, trust all is well in the Peaks?

I never went to one, but how can you forget a name like Temple Of Convenience when the venue is a converted public toilet!!  The doo in the loo indeed!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Had some great nights at the Temple.

Social source share

6 hours ago, daved said:

Thanks for that. Some blistering records played in that clip. I hadn't realized they were on as early as 1994. I thought they started a few years later.

Snap l hadn't realized they were that early, but really l should have done!

Because l went before l moved to my current address, and l moved here in April 96.

There does the time go!

Social source share

Fantastic nights with like minded people, who had been on the journey over the years and were always looking to hear something new. This was something we all thought would keep going and never did we imagine it would descend into the fancy dress pantomime we have today.  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I don't know who the first dj is. He was working with Richard for some of the time at the beginning of the night. Gary is the guy with the back to back super rare stuff. He did about 2 hours and seemed to have just about every top rare sound of the day. I never hear of him these days did he sell up?

Social source share

The year? I couldn't remember for sure, but 1994 fits with the guy I went with who moved to Scotland soon after. Also later on in the night one dj mentioned a forthcoming event on Friday the 17th June. I was looking for the flyer which I have somewhere (it had records round the edges one of which was "need you like a baby" which I think Richard played). I will try to upload the whole video sometime. I also have a load of photos from Stafford that need digging out and sorting. I have time at the moment as I've just had an op.

re. Stafford... had to say I'm really enjoying the podcasts on soul underground, brilliant stuff. 

Social source share

18 hours ago, micksmix said:

Was that Gary Spencer DJ'ing? bought some great stuff off the out-a -site lists!!!

Tim Brown first / then Gary Spencer - Great nights!

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - Me too ref 'Out-A-Site' lists :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mark R said:

Only just got around to watching the clip actually......hark at those sounds!!

Top 500 my arse!

Cheers,

Mark R

There were plenty of so-called "Top 500" tunes played out at these nighters , they were , if you like , the instigators of the what is now bandied about as "OVO" in that the stipulation was that whatever was to be spun would be in it's "original and rarest format" , not necessarily the "rarest tunes out there" .

Social source share

Guest Rob Soulbrothernumbertwo

I think that is 1996, not 94. I loved the Ritz and rarely missed one. Loved the journey up there from London. Temple of Convenience was superb warm up too. I remember hearing Johnny on the Spot for the first time at the Ritz, having only read about it's existence before.

Social source share

3 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

There were plenty of so-called "Top 500" tunes played out at these nighters , they were , if you like , the instigators of the what is now bandied about as "OVO" in that the stipulation was that whatever was to be spun would be in it's "original and rarest format" , not necessarily the "rarest tunes out there" .

The ones I attended were largely classic oldies, after all many are very rare.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

I ought to be able to find out coz I did all the flyers and adverts!

Dx

I may be remembering this wrong (So please correct me if so) But I'm sure I remember a kind of hand written flyer for the first 'Rarest Of The Rare' All-nighter (maybe done with a marker pen)......God knows what year though :D

Great if someone can post it up.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:25, Cycadman said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiVXoomSTiQ

Just a snippet of footage I shot at the Ritz in Manchester, rarest of the rare allnighter. 

Thanks for sharing some incredible footage of what seems to be a largely forgotten nighter , The Ritz rarest of the rare nighters are up there with the best ever

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Could only find a print out of the flyer for Number 3 (one of mine - probably got the others on disc at work), but also found an ad for the 'Return of the Ultra Rare Night' from a Spring 1996 Manifesto (even though it says 1995(!) on the ad - the date is correct for Easter Sunday 1996) - which would place number one in 1995.

Dx

IMG_20170419_0001_NEW_0001.jpg

IMG_20170419_0001_NEW.jpg

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy
On 18/04/2017 at 20:48, harrythedog said:

Fantastic nights with like minded people, who had been on the journey over the years and were always looking to hear something new. This was something we all thought would keep going and never did we imagine it would descend into the fancy dress pantomime we have today.  

Well said mate , the scene is now full of handbaggers no knowledge of rare soul and no history behind them, to many local do's all playing boots and reissues 

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy
On 18/04/2017 at 14:13, Patto said:

Great clip mega tunes.Same here i thought they were a couple of years later.Top days Ritz bank holiday nighters,Keele,Winsford,Blackburn,Bretby.Probably the last period that the scene was still underground.

Your absolutely spot on✌️

Social source share

On 18 April 2017 at 12:45, wiggyflat said:

Great nighters and pre baggy.I remember going to some warmup doo in some old toilets! Im sure I danced to that I Wanna Know acetate played by Butch and Kenny Carltons Lost And Found played by Searling.

Just out of interest but at about 2.28 into the clip, a guy walks in front of the decks and he's wearing a back vest and I suspect flared 'baggy' trousers.  Whilst such garb is not my own 'cup of tea' at all, it seems that some folks have always, since the 70's, dressed like this at soul events even when the scene was 'underground' and far more selective as to who was supposed to join in!

Just sayin' like.  :rofl:

Regards.

Drew.

Social source share

46 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

Great nighters ... proper tunes.

As I am having a senior moment can someone remind me the of the record that starts up at 2:52 please

2.52 is start of Del-tours - Sweet and lovely I think

• Helpful 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Lucky one said:

A superb clip of a great nighter, and great period for the scene when there wasn't so much going on which made it all a bit special something that seems to be lacking today or is that just me.

Absolutely agree - It was a fantastic / exciting period of the scene.

Manifesto Magazine has been mentioned on this thread - If any of you have old copies, look at the events section, just two pages for three months events! The same crowd mainly used to end up at the same events week in week out. Whereas today we're 'splintered' all over the place, with many venues struggling to get enough people in (Do the math)

Great memories.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Like l said earlier it was pre 96, as well as the house move to know it was then.

I used to tape at venues every now and then on a mini pocket tape recorder, bought from Tandy.

You know the one's l mean, reporters used to use them at the time. 

Anyway l taped on the 1st one, and l think that was the last time used it, before it got nicked. 

My youngest lad started school in Sept 95.

We had a few things stolen from the house while we had took him to his first day of school.

Social source share

A few things wobbling in to memory about the warm-ups. The Doo In The Loo was the fourth venue [I think] for the pre-nighter warm-up. Firstly it was at South, a proper nightclub I worked Saturdays, but we had to charge and it was quiet a long walk to the Ritz. We also did one at The Waldorf and then a bar across the road from the Ritz which name escapes me, and the manager double booked it, and then the Loo. Strangely more people turned up as the venue got smaller....or that could just be an optical whatsit.

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, dean jj said:

A few things wobbling in to memory about the warm-ups. The Doo In The Loo was the fourth venue [I think] for the pre-nighter warm-up. Firstly it was at South, a proper nightclub I worked Saturdays, but we had to charge and it was quiet a long walk to the Ritz. We also did one at The Waldorf and then a bar across the road from the Ritz which name escapes me, and the manager double booked it, and then the Loo. Strangely more people turned up as the venue got smaller....or that could just be an optical whatsit.

dean

Dean l had forget about those two, downstairs at the South & Upstairs at the Waldorf.

Still have a good memories of what happened in the 70's & 80's, but the 90's until now all seems to mingle.

Social source share

5 hours ago, dean jj said:

dean

Read more  

One of the warm-up do's ( Easter Sunday '95 ) was at "The Roadhouse Club" at the junction of Newton Street and Piccadilly Gardens , Brian , Mad Martin and Mick spinning the tunes from 7-12 .... info from Manifesto #3 ... :thumbsup: 

Social source share

1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

One of the warm-up do's ( Easter Sunday '95 ) was at "The Roadhouse Club" at the junction of Newton Street and Piccadilly Gardens , Brian , Mad Martin and Mick spinning the tunes from 7-12 .... info from Manifesto #3 ... :thumbsup: 

That's the one Me, Neil Henderson , Martin the Mod and Brian. The Roadhouse was/is? a basement live music venue just off Piccadilly,the place was packed to the rafters!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, hudsoul said:

Here is the flyer for the first "Rarest of the Rare" although it has no year on it i am pretty sure it was 94

IMG.jpg

I thought it was done with a marker pen! 

Thanks for posting it up.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great memories along with Windsford, Keele, Droylsden. For me, all at the right time as nowadays I'm lucky to get to a couple a year. Can't really comment on today's niter scene but yesterday was great.

There are one or two from Keele knocking about on youtube, not sure about anywhere else but the memories wont go away.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!